As if There Weren't Enough Reasons to go Vegan

Options
Rocbola
Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
Howdy folks,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, weight, body-type, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

At this point It's safe to say that both sides have clearly made their arguments either for or against veganism. Unfortunately, this conversation has started to spiral out of control.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
Joshua
MyFitnessPal Forum Staff

Replies

• EllaNovella
    Options
    I want some steak
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I had two scotch fillets last night.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Animal testing to prove a vegan diet?

lol
  • razz02
    razz02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Going vegan is one of my best decisions ever, since I started to run and lift weights regularly.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Going vegan is one of my best decisions ever, since I started to run and lift weights regularly.
    nice
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I am not a mouse.

Edited to add: I have no problem with people choosing to be Vegan, I just don't find this remotely persuasive to the cause.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Good for the mice.

Which I am not.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    MMMm.... grilled meat....
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    How much of it did they feed the mice?
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the human race have become extinct long ago if this bogus research had any legs? Seriously people. Can we use our common sense to question junk science every now and again?

Look at my avatar. Do I look like I am on the brink of diabetes and other metabolic disturbances? That pic is now about 13 years old and I still have the same amount of lean mass and have recently decided to get that lean again "because I want to and I can" since my fitness modeling and competitive days are long over. Check my food journal - plenty of red meat, poultry, eggs and seafood. Balance is the key to good health and fitness. Vegans pump all sort of chemicals and additives into their food to make up for what is lacking. Sorry, but that isn't for me. I prefer to eat food that is clean and hasn't been chemically altered. Call me crazy, but works for me.
  • runner_gurl76
    runner_gurl76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    While the choice is ultimately your own, I would recommend further research before pursuing a vegan diet.
    Read this as part of your research:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/meat-eating-human-evolution/#axzz24qdoe7Wf
  • RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    why put a label on it? Eat meat dont eat meat blahblahblah.
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ehh... aren't mice vegans? maybe this study is just good for vegans, perhaps just the vegans should be very careful to avoid eating meat?
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I want some steak

^ This
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have Points on my teeth, Claws, Forward facing eyes, and ears on the side of my head. I am By definition a predator!!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I haven't come across a single good reason for going vegan.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You do realize that mice are primarily herbivores? The way their bodies react to meat is very different from how we would react to it.
  • Mjmaverick2
    Options
    There is not one good reason to be a vegan.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for over 7 years. I've never looked back. Best decision I've ever made, after going vegetarian.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    a) this is done in mice. This does not mean it is equivalent in humans, we have very different physiology in some respects.
    b) in what quantity were the mice fed methyl-glyoxal? Because if it's the equivalent amount to 1000 sausages, as is often the case when people research isolated chemicals, the results aren't really going to mean anything other than for those who eat 1000 sausages a day. I can't be bothered to read the article though to check.
    c) this is one experiment, it hasn't been repeated by anyone else.

Just mentioning a couple of issues which is why it's bad to make snap decisions based on press releases of single research papers. Not saying it's wrong, just that it's illogical to reach any conclusions at this point.
This discussion has been closed.