men, does the "I'll kick your *kitten*" male/male trump card...

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    My personal favorite test of manhood was always the Oklahoma drill...
  • rdennisjr
    rdennisjr Posts: 402 Member
    24 years of Army time....damn skippy 8)
  • Motivate you for at least part of your training?...

Personally, it was one of the main in my life as I started training for football. I like being strong to this day partly because I liked the power of manhandling someone on the field.

I'm not saying we're all fighters, but whether or not you think you can kick someone's *kitten* does come into the psyche more often than most would probably care to admit.

Of course I didn't mean this thread to be serious so answer knowing that.

i do it for chicks
  • OK. I know this is supposed to be for guys, but I never let the boys have their own tree fort either. :) I like thinking that I could kick some butt if I had to. Twenty + years of Tae Bo in the living room has not turned me into a solider, I know. But, I could kick someone hard if I had to. And, now that I can run 10km if choose to, I also know that I could probably outrun any creepo that tried to grab a hold of me in a proverbial dark alleyway. So, ya, it's motivational!
  • If I had to start over, I would recommend boxing. Great cardio, conditioning and hand eye coordination. Seek a certified boxing trainer, but they will usually charge $50 to $60 per hour.

BJJ - is very expensive and takes years to master. Let me know which city and I can recommend a few schools.

i dont know if everyone knows that BJJ is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I only know because a army teaches a few BJJ moves in basic now days
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    I want to look badass enough that people wont want to start fights with me and be strong enough as well as smart enough to end them. And to know if I had to chase a mofo down and exact punishment I could.
  • CrystalDreams
    ETA: Most people don't CC and most of them live through each day... quit using extremist viewpoints to try and sway people to your belief system.

Except for many people involved in recent shootings.

You sir disgust me believing that 2nd amendment rights are extremist.

You disgust me by thinking that everyone in this country is responsible enough to be trusted with a gun.
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Never crossed my mind. At 240lb an 6' 2" I prolly could but I'm no neanderthal.

^^^This^^^
  • ETA: Most people don't CC and most of them live through each day... quit using extremist viewpoints to try and sway people to your belief system.

You disgust me by thinking that everyone in this country is responsible enough to be trusted with a gun.

yes well everyone isnt, and thats why felons arent able to get guns.. but with that said do you honestly believe you will keep guns out of the criminals hands... you cant punish the many for the deeds of the few.. that is not our way.. i dont understand why people believe guns are so evil.. the gun didnt go off on its own and hit poor timmy in the head.. its the crazy criminal sob that pulled the trigger... and if it wasnt guns, it would be knives, it would be arrows, it would be rocks.. dont you see.. violence will never leave or species.. but if you will senselessly attack some one and call the extremist because he believes in the bill of rights... then god himself cannot show you the light and you will forever be a sheeple to the powers of control.. dont get me wrong, i do hope that one day we come together as a world and stop waring, together we can accomplish anything.. our destiny is to travel the stars and its only a matter of time before we can.. unless we destroy ourselves 1st

oh and Ron Paul ftw!
    libertarianism baby, freedom for all!
  • I always assume I can pretty much kick anyone's *kitten*, so it wasnt really a motivator.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

And I even felt this way when I was 60lbs overweight.
  • jnerdin
    jnerdin Posts: 39 Member
    In my experience, men who are focused on size and compare their size to the size of others are usually either short or stupid, or most often both. Men of above average stature and intelligence typically focus on more important things.

In my experience, 100% of men who say the above suffer from feelings of inferiority and overblown self importance. I used to do it too. Every smaller, intelligent/nerdy/cerebral guy does it. Downplays his musculature and emphasizes his brain. Until it dawns on him that a man can have both, and more importantly, the desire of one man to be big has nothing to do with his IQ or stature.

Note that comparing size and strength has absolutely nothing to do with fighting. I agree, only tools and morons fight.

If this is intended as a general statement, then it's mostly misguided. If it is intended as a personal rebuttal, then it misses the fact that I am 6'3", 235 and able to carry one end of a piano up a flight of stairs on my own, thus not really fitting the "smaller" description. In this equation, I'm not sure to whom I would feel inferior. However, I will never take issue with being described as intelligent, cerebral or even nerdy. A guy can certainly be both muscular and smart (although one who was would probably understand that "stature" is a reference to size), but if they have smarts to go with the muscles they are hopefully enlightened enough to focus on more important things than whether or not they can kick another person's *kitten*. That's just stupid.
  • mavrick7
    mavrick7 Posts: 1,607 Member
    I liked Wing Chun Kuen and Chin Na for self defense. Not 100% perfect (no system is - you find what works for you), but quite easy to use a small amount of force to deflect and control a large amount of attacker. I called the techniques I focused on "giant-killers" - in particular, I would use my wife as an example (she used to be a student of mine before the school closed down). If someone 4'10" can decisively deflect a haymaker punch thrown by someone 200 lbs heavier and 16" taller, then it's pretty effective.

Interesting... I studied Kung Fu and agree with your statement. Did you know that Wing Chun was invented for that purpose, and was initially created by a female? The only problem with Sticky hands is that you can overcome the wing chun fighter with grappling. Although they could block and counter, they wouldn't have enough power to stop someone that much larger. It more of a block, hit, hit, hit, and run away! :)

Most Kung Fu masters remain pretty secretive about sharing more advanced techniques. Blows that harness the chi or Ki power that would hurt the opponent. Once again, it wouldn't be sporting to practice this stuff or spar. I formally trained with Grandmaster Andrew Lum in Hawaii.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    waited for this thread to get to a decent size and see what people bring to the table.

i'm not impressed.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    I liked Wing Chun Kuen and Chin Na for self defense. Not 100% perfect (no system is - you find what works for you), but quite easy to use a small amount of force to deflect and control a large amount of attacker. I called the techniques I focused on "giant-killers" - in particular, I would use my wife as an example (she used to be a student of mine before the school closed down). If someone 4'10" can decisively deflect a haymaker punch thrown by someone 200 lbs heavier and 16" taller, then it's pretty effective.

Interesting... I studied Kung Fu and agree with your statement. Did you know that Wing Chun was invented for that purpose, and was initially created by a female? The only problem with Sticky hands is that you can overcome the wing chun fighter with grappling. Although they could block and counter, they wouldn't have enough power to stop someone that much larger. It more of a block, hit, hit, hit, and run away! :)

Most Kung Fu masters remain pretty secretive about sharing more advanced techniques. Blows that harness the chi or Ki power that would hurt the opponent. Once again, it wouldn't be sporting to practice this stuff or spar. I formally trained with Grandmaster Andrew Lum in Hawaii.

Exactly. I knew about the history of Ng Mui and Yim Wing-Chun. And yes, grappling could overcome it, but if you're using Wing Chun to infight, you've lost anyways. Deflect the strikes, a quick retaliation, and a quick retreat.
  • stephenglover
    stephenglover Posts: 87 Member
    What good are muscles without function? Seriously.

I'd rather spend my life with the love of my daughter and my other half, than breathing through a tube because a fight went wrong.

^ Maybe the best answer yet, my brother natural fighter at 6'7" ex marine killed by a bouncer in a bar by taking one to the back of the head from a pool que, Justifyable Homicide. My brother was drunk and had kicked 3 other bouncers *kitten* already, he loved to fight but it can and will eventualy vatch up to you.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member

I took a couple of classes from Grandmaster Floyd K. Mims. He was totally against sparring/competitive fighting. His philosophy was to do everything possible to avoid confrontation. When it was unavoidable, end it with your first technique.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    waited for this thread to get to a decent size and see what people bring to the table.

i'm not impressed.

me either and I even begged.
  • CrystalDreams
    ETA: Most people don't CC and most of them live through each day... quit using extremist viewpoints to try and sway people to your belief system.

yes well everyone isnt, and thats why felons arent able to get guns.. but with that said do you honestly believe you will keep guns out of the criminals hands... you cant punish the many for the deeds of the few.. that is not our way.. i dont understand why people believe guns are so evil.. the gun didnt go off on its own and hit poor timmy in the head.. its the crazy criminal sob that pulled the trigger... and if it wasnt guns, it would be knives, it would be arrows, it would be rocks.. dont you see.. violence will never leave or species.. but if you will senselessly attack some one and call the extremist because he believes in the bill of rights... then god himself cannot show you the light and you will forever be a sheeple to the powers of control.. dont get me wrong, i do hope that one day we come together as a world and stop waring, together we can accomplish anything.. our destiny is to travel the stars and its only a matter of time before we can.. unless we destroy ourselves 1st

oh and Ron Paul ftw!
    libertarianism baby, freedom for all!

Ifst of all, I never called him an extremist. I am all for protecting the bill of rights. Second of all I was thinking more alone the lines of the mentally deranges, stupid, and hateful bigots. The ones with no criminal record. The ones who get guns and then shoot the innocent because they disagree or are doing it in the name of god. The people who are willing to kill for personal causes. I used the wrong phrasing. I do not think most people of this country are emotionally or mentally stable enough to be allowed access to guns or gun permits.

And human beings, with the exception of ants, are the only species who go to war. Other primates and dolphins have been observed committing senseless acts of violence and rape on other members of their species. But these are rare. Humans kill each other for completely fabricated reasons. Sometimes there are reasons. Who am I to judge. But I feel like the people in Aurora and Columbine didn't threaten the lives of the monsters that killed them.

And there will always be access to weapons. But its much easier to run from or defend ones self from a rock, knife, or spear.

Rant over. I am now done arguing this point with people I feel have no desire to consider or even listen to my side.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    I eat my exercise calories .... Oops, sorry guys, wrong thread ...
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    its part of it, i haven't had a fight in 4 years so i always wonder if the situation arose do i still got it lol