Why do people get so provoked by vegans?

Options

Replies

• MungrySoldier
    Options
    I'm not vegan myself but one of my good friends has been for most of her life and often face the same scrutiny because people don't realize they were heavily raised in a culture of eating meat that they can't fathom the idea of having a meal without it. Most people can't respect the lifestyle choice and often their reactions draw negative effects from vegans, who are constantly bombarded with questions and cynicism.

I for one have had my eyes opened and love vegan cooking or any dish prepared by vegetarian. I find people who embrace this diet handle food much more seriously and know how to play around with all spectrum of taste, like umami.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm biased as a meat-eater, but I think that going around trolling vegan forums about the greatness that is steak is merely annoying, whereas vegans telling meat-eaters that they are murderers and slaveholders (yes, I have been called a murderer and a slaveholder on MFP) is very problematic.

That said, if someone finds that their body responds better to a vegan diet, and they can keep up with it and it helps them, all the power to them.

slaveholders? :huh:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Heh, I can be like the stereotypical reverse racist (veggist?) who says:

"I'm not racist, I have 14 black friends!"

"I'm not anti-vegan, I ate 15 vegetables this week!"
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love vegan food.

I also love meat.

I love all foods equally.

If vegans didn't exist I wouldn't be able to eat their yummy foods...
    I disagree. I love some foods waaaaaayyy more then other foods.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't feel provoked by vegans, however I do get highly annoyed by ANYONE who preaches to me about their way as being the only path. This goes for diet (vegan, paleo, no carb, low carb) or religion and everything in between. People getting all preachy is just plain obnoxious and I have no patience for them online or in real life.
    This.
    I am not provoked by vegans. To each their own. But as I don't look down on you for your lifestyle and eating habits, I'd like the same courtesy. Being vegan doesn't make one better than a non-vegan and that's the attitude I usually seem to get. THAT's what provokes me. :smile:
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan myself but one of my good friends has been for most of her life and often face the same scrutiny because people don't realize they were heavily raised in a culture of eating meat that they can't fathom the idea of having a meal without it. Most people can't respect the lifestyle choice and often their reactions draw negative effects from vegans, who are constantly bombarded with questions and cynicism.

I for one have had my eyes opened and love vegan cooking or any dish prepared by vegetarian. I find people who embrace this diet handle food much more seriously and know how to play around with all spectrum of taste, like umami.

This. It's really insulting when someone says veganism is a "cult", as in yesterday's thread. At least most vegans chose it for themselves. Everyone else on the standard diet is 'brainwashed' technically.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I didn't read your whole post, as it is rather long.

I don't feel provoked by vegans, however I do get highly annoyed by ANYONE who preaches to me about their way as being the only path.

Ditto.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options
    Doesn't bother me a bit...till someone gets on about the morality end of it.

Being told I'm evil for doing what every generation of humankind has done since before we walked upright sort of gets on my nerves.
    It's not just that it is an attack on my morality, it's an attack on the moral existence of human beings. It's as though humanity exists in a state of original sin and only the few who have risen above that sin are fit to live in the garden.

Eat or don't eat what you will. I have an opinion on the health aspects, but I'm not informed or qualified enough to debate them with you...but if you think I'm evil for eating flesh, do us both a favor and choose not to associate with me.

Most vegans grew up eating meat. Their family did and maybe still do. If you found out after research (reading articles and watching videos about farming and slaughter conditions) wouldn't you want to save as many animals as possible? It's not so 'live and let live' as it's more like "People can do what they like as long as it doesn't harm anyone". For most vegans eating meat is considered harming something.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

This. It's really insulting when someone says veganism is a "cult", as in yesterday's thread. At least most vegans chose it for themselves. Everyone else on the standard diet is 'brainwashed' technically.

Yes, here we go. This is why people get provoked by YOU. You are saying that people are brainwashed. You refuse to acknowlege that many of us made the choice to eat meat. It's like an atheist saying a Christian is brainwashed or a Republican saying a Democrat is brainwashed. It's a refusal to accept individuality and thought in others.

It's ignorant.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options

Yes, here we go. This is why people get provoked by YOU. You are saying that people are brainwashed. You refuse to acknowlege that many of us made the choice to eat meat. It's like an atheist saying a Christian is brainwashed or a Republican saying a Democrat is brainwashed. It's a refusal to accept individuality and thought in others.

It's ignorant.

Look, I said 'brainwashed' in inverted commas because someone said that to me yesterday. Don't jump down my throat.
  • nettersaurus
    Options
    I don't think it's people are provoked by vegans in general. I think it's like anyone else preaching their decisions as if we all have to agree with their choices. It's no different than bible thumpers shoving beliefs down your throat, Athiests shoving their non-belief beliefs (wow reads funny) down your throat, etc. While it's not every vegan, bible thumper, or Athiest, it's just a handful who act that way and people just get annoyed. In reality, most don't care and don't act out like that. But like any group, you have SOMEONE who is extreme and annoying about what they believe in.

I definitely agree with this. I am not a vegan but I definitely don't judge those that are. That lifestyle is their choice and my lifestyle is mine. I like meat, they don't. It doesn't make either of us a better person than the other.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason people think their opinion is always right, no matter what the stance. Omnivores whine about vegans, vegans whine about omnis. It's just easier for the carnivores to make fun of vegans because the majority of people are omnivores, not vegan. When you have a bunch of people backing you up, it's easy to bash people.

This.

Ha! Then why is it so easy for vegans to trash non-vegans?

It's not about numbers. It's about people not agreeing with you.

Vegans feel that they are trashed by omnivores. Omnivores feel that they are trashed by vegans. Athiests feel that they are trashed by Christians. Christians feel that they are trashed by athiests. Democrats feel that they are trashed by Republicans. Republicans feel that they are trashed by Democrats.

Simply, you are no different than anyone else.

^^ This
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I wonder who are all these vegans who want to cram their lifestyle down other people's throats. After 30 years of being a vegetarian or vegan, I've never met one. Not one of my real life friends has ever met one either, but they're absolutely freakin' everywhere according to the internet.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Because when Glascow_vegan, or any vegan for that matter makes statements like this;

"Doesn't knowing you've led to the death and sometimes torture of hundreds if not thousands of animals make you feel bad?"

It tends to put peoples hackles up a bit. There were not to many "I like steak" comments before that bombshell
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Im glad you found what works for you. Keep up the good work!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Meat eaters get very defensive every time the word "vegan" is even brought up. It's much the same way smokers and drug addicts get defensive if you try to bring up their bad habits. I think they are living in such denial that any truth makes them very defensive, because they don't want their bubble popped.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options
    Because when Glascow_vegan, or any vegan for that matter makes statements like this;

"Doesn't knowing you've led to the death and sometimes torture of hundreds if not thousands of animals make you feel bad?"

It tends to put peoples hackles up a bit. There were not to many "I like steak" comments before that bombshell

That was in response to several people replying to the OP's study with "There's not a single reason to go vegan."

- Edited to say that his post was immediately met with the "I love steak!" comments.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Meat eaters get very defensive every time the word "vegan" is even brought up. It's much the same way smokers and drug addicts get defensive if you try to bring up their bad habits. I think they are living in such denial that any truth makes them very defensive, because they don't want their bubble popped.

You say "meat eaters get very defensive", yet it is you who are comparing meat eaters to drug addicts. It is you being judgmental. It is you who proclaims some mysterious proof, yet offers no evidence.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Most people in my real life don't even know I'm a vegan. But, there are times it comes up and my mere existence seems to challenge some people, no matter how polite and accepting I try to be.

Then you are not being as polite and accepting as you think you are. Sometimes when we think that we are just stating our opinion in a non-confrontational way, we are really coming across as judgmental.

I have vegan friends. We have no problem being with each other. I don't try to get them to change, they don't try to get me to change.

It's not veganism that bothers people.

For example: I have met people for lunch who don't know I'm vegan. I try to make my veganism transparent by calling ahead to make ordering food simple and easy, and not revealing my veganism. When the food comes, it's plants and the person I'm with will sometimes ask 'Are you vegetarian?' When I answer truthfully, they often ask 'Why?' I used to answer truthfully, but now I just say 'This isn't a good time to discuss that.' Some people still persist, or get defensive. I truthfully don't like ruining people's dinners or highlighting differences. Other than lying, I really have no clue how I could be more polite and accepting in circumstances like this.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Answers the OP's question perfectly.

Positively oooozing with the sort of attitude that pisses meat eaters off.
    We're defensive like smokers and drug addicts.
    We're in denial.