Why do people get so provoked by vegans?

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Most people in my real life don't even know I'm a vegan. But, there are times it comes up and my mere existence seems to challenge some people, no matter how polite and accepting I try to be.

You are exactly the kind of vegan I DON'T mind being around. More power to you! I wish all vegans were like you :)

Thank you! I've been either vegan or vegetarian for almost 40 years, so the fire in me is still there, but it's a bit more muted than it used to be. Vegans like to think of themselves a showing kindness to animals, but I think they need to be kind. Period. Or no one will take anything they say seriously.
  • _VoV
    Options
    i understand where you are coming from...I never preach about the way I live, but the moment someone offers me a cheeseburger and I politely say " No thanks, I'm vegan... You should see the looks I get. The next question is usually either, what is that, or why....and then I get a slew of negativity, which I don't understand. If you like meat, eat meat, if you dont have mine because it's not something I prefer. People do judge you based on how you live and what you eat, especially if you aren't like them.

Why "...I'm vegan..."

Someone offers me a cheeseburger I'm thinking "No thanks, that crap will kill you," but I only say the "No thanks," part.

Honestly, I attempt to do the no thank you only, but because nice people really want to share, eventually I have to say something about why not because they keep trying. Some veggies just put that out there as short hand. My coworkers have a lot of trouble keeping what I do and don't eat straight, but we just keep plugging along. :)

BTW, saying "I'm vegan" is *not* equivalent to calling someone else's food crap. THAT is what vegans are talking about when they say people immediately believe they're being judged when a vegan declares him or herself.

Seems reasonable.

Thanks, Steve - you seem like a good guy. :) I'd hug you now, but you probably ate some meat today, and I don't want to contaminate myself. (I'm kidding, of course - about the contamination... I like hugs)

Had a subway veggie sub for dinner. On this rare occasion, you'd be safe.

Can I get in on this as a group hug? I think Steve sounds like a good guy too.
  • _VoV
    Options
    OP Q: Why do people get so provoked by vegans?

I'm not sure but I see tons of juvenile postings by both vegans and non-vegans on this thread. If you have no interest in veganism, why bother posting here unless you enjoy trolling.

As to the OP's Q, my guess is that the general public is seldomly provoked by a vegan's "dietary" lifestyle in pursuit of greater health but rather some (not all) having very stringent "ethical" viewpoints regarding animal products and animal treatment. It's those extreme outliers, like wacky PETA sensationalists, that turn off the general public and give the collective group a negative image.

I've been an omnivore my entire life but have been leaning more towards a vegetarian diet these days as I continually strive to educate myself in attaining greater health and wanting to live as long as possible with my family. Despite the terrific benefits of muscle gain and indirect fat loss, I'm learning there are also drawbacks of having high levels of IGF-1 from consuming lots of protein, particularly animal proteins. The ever increasing amount of studies as to the detrimental effects of red meat have made me much more conscious of what I typically eat. But I don't know if I can completely give up the occassional burger and steak yet.

In any case, I have a high degree of respect and admiration for vegans. With further education, I'm finding that it doesn't necessarily have to be a radical choice (it's quite possibly the healthiest choice) but there are the few argumentative absolutists who unfortunately promote veganism as an extreme lifestyle.

Fascinating post, and you should totally start a thread on IGF-1, since I have read about it from the calorie-restriction-optimal-nutrition circles, as well as the vegan ones.
  • Squirrely_Girl
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better than this. If you are vegan and don't preach to me about it then I am all for it. If you get in my face and try to convert me, I shut you out. I eat a lot of vegetarian meals, whole foods, organic, local, and unrefined food as much as possible. I stay away from the Big Ag bad boys and try to keep the chemical laden foods out of my diet. I think I do pretty well. I find it particularly offensive when vegans try to convert me, not only because it is obnoxious but also because I take desiccated thyroid medicine, porcine derived. I will never truly be able to be vegetarian unless I convert to synthetic medicine, which does not work for me.

Some vegans make an exception for medication. There's a saying that "A live vegan activist is better than a dead vegan activist."

How is that?? It's okay to take from an "unwilling animal" to make a medication? But not okay to take from an animal for food?

Either way, you end up with dead animals.

No, I mean using any medicine. All medicine is tested on animals at some point. Not that it all contains animal ingredients.

Really? Because every vegan I have as a friend (and I have many from working in a Wildlife rescue) has made it clear that I could never truly be a vegan or vegetarian. I've even had some not so friendly vegans tell me that I am a hypocrite for rescuing wild animals and take animal derived medication. How's that for a nice vegan conversation? Granted the MAJORITY of vegans wouldn't say something like this, but it has happened to me. It's this attitude that is upsetting. If you give me respect, I will respect your decisions as well.
  • Aventuria
    Aventuria Posts: 151
    Options
    Wow 11 pages in such a short time... :noway:

I just wanted to say: Congratulations that you found YOUR WAY of feeling healthy. You don't get to bed anymore and feel crappy, isn't that the best feeling? :wink:

Being vegan is in many cases a near-religious and extreme thing. From the obvious foods to leather. I don't like the extreme component in it, but that's not veganism itself - it's the people.
    I personally think, I couldn't live vegan and still be healthy, but that is me. Not you.

Btw: I'm vegetarian, no meat, no fish, no rennet, no gelatine, not a vegan though. My boyfriend's a meat lover. So everyone has his/her own way of being happy. :laugh: I still am with him, he doesn't share my ethical views on mass-slaughtering, and thinks in a more evolutionary way: "Humans are not made for not eating anything animal-related." It's a thing of respect and letting the other one be the way they are.

Let's drink a soy-milkshake on that! :laugh: :drinker:
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Interesting...

Bump
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I didn't read your whole post, as it is rather long.

I don't feel provoked by vegans, however I do get highly annoyed by ANYONE who preaches to me about their way as being the only path. This goes for diet (vegan, paleo, no carb, low carb) or religion and everything in between. People getting all preachy is just plain obnoxious and I have no patience for them online or in real life.

This. I feel much the same way. As far as eating goes, it is what works for you. Sadly, there are many Vegans (and paleo/primal/etc but I mainly find it with vegans) who slam on anyone who does not choose to eat the way they do. I think it is in part because there are vegans who are vegans because they have moral objections to any sort of animal husbandry. At least they seem the most vociferous. That I cannot abide. There are benefits to eating vegan, but it is not for me. I would rather die somewhat sooner eating my meat, dairy and fish than give them up, and frankly, I am not convinced that continuing to eat these things will do that.

I went to a July 4th BBQ at a friend's home...one of the guests had recently started eating a gluten-free diet and completely in my face about it (and I didn't even know her! she just started preaching at me about how I shouldn't eat wheat cause I would feel so much better--I hadn't actually SAID anything about how I felt, I had simply commented to another person that I was eating more food that day than normal and NOT counting calories at the party lol)...yet she was huffing and puffing away on a cigarette the entire time...

Preachiness is annoying. One way, one diet does NOT work for everyone--if I am curious about your vegan diet, I'll ask about it...if you ask me about my eating habits, I'll share them, but otherwise, live and let live.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    People think their opinions matter, and have nothing better to do but tell you whatever you are doing sucks. Just tell them to *kitten* off if they are not supporting of the way you want to eat. My personal opinion on going Vegan is fine as long as they don't become protein deficient. That is not hard to do since there are many alternative protein sources.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I am better than everyone. That has nothing to do with my diet.
  • _VoV
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better than this. If you are vegan and don't preach to me about it then I am all for it. If you get in my face and try to convert me, I shut you out. I eat a lot of vegetarian meals, whole foods, organic, local, and unrefined food as much as possible. I stay away from the Big Ag bad boys and try to keep the chemical laden foods out of my diet. I think I do pretty well. I find it particularly offensive when vegans try to convert me, not only because it is obnoxious but also because I take desiccated thyroid medicine, porcine derived. I will never truly be able to be vegetarian unless I convert to synthetic medicine, which does not work for me.

Some vegans make an exception for medication. There's a saying that "A live vegan activist is better than a dead vegan activist."

How is that?? It's okay to take from an "unwilling animal" to make a medication? But not okay to take from an animal for food?

No, I mean using any medicine. All medicine is tested on animals at some point. Not that it all contains animal ingredients.

Really? Because every vegan I have as a friend (and I have many from working in a Wildlife rescue) has made it clear that I could never truly be a vegan or vegetarian. I've even had some not so friendly vegans tell me that I am a hypocrite for rescuing wild animals and take animal derived medication. How's that for a nice vegan conversation? Granted the MAJORITY of vegans wouldn't say something like this, but it has happened to me. It's this attitude that is upsetting. If you give me respect, I will respect your decisions as well.

You are saving animals, and vegans are giving you grief? Give me their email addresses, and I will 'talk' to them! There are no perfect vegans. Tallow is an animal product in rubber--anyone riding in a car or bus is using an animal product. This is one reason I'm VergingonVegan and not Vegan. I say that all compassionate efforts count in making this world a better place. Saving wild animals who have gotten a bum deal in life counts uber-much in my book. Kudos to you!
  • _VoV
    Options
    Wow 11 pages in such a short time... :noway:

I just wanted to say: Congratulations that you found YOUR WAY of feeling healthy. You don't get to bed anymore and feel crappy, isn't that the best feeling? :wink:

Being vegan is in many cases a near-religious and extreme thing. From the obvious foods to leather. I don't like the extreme component in it, but that's not veganism itself - it's the people.
    I personally think, I couldn't live vegan and still be healthy, but that is me. Not you.

Btw: I'm vegetarian, no meat, no fish, no rennet, no gelatine, not a vegan though. My boyfriend's a meat lover. So everyone has his/her own way of being happy. :laugh: I still am with him, he doesn't share my ethical views on mass-slaughtering, and thinks in a more evolutionary way: "Humans are not made for not eating anything animal-related." It's a thing of respect and letting the other one be the way they are.

Let's drink a soy-milkshake on that! :laugh: :drinker:

I don't know...I like the extreme aspect. It's sort of a consumer challenge. I get to find cute vegan shoes online, and buy odd little marshmallows without gelatin. It's sort of a hobby, but I also feel good about it.
  • Aventuria
    Aventuria Posts: 151
    Options
    @VergingOnVega
    What I meant with extreme is the "forcing your opinion on others, who are definitely not worth anything, cause they're not "on your side"" that has been mentioned a couple of times in this topic. :wink:
  • _VoV
    Options
    @VergingOnVega
    What I meant with extreme is the "forcing your opinion on others, who are definitely not worth anything, cause they're not "on your side"" that has been mentioned a couple of times in this topic. :wink:

I totally get your light-hearted approach. Wishing you a good night's rest. Right now, I'm overdue for sleep with my vegan marshmallow-looking pillows.
  • Squirrely_Girl
    Options

You are saving animals, and vegans are giving you grief? Give me their email addresses, and I will 'talk' to them! There are no perfect vegans. Tallow is an animal product in rubber--anyone riding in a car or bus is using an animal product. This is one reason I'm VergingonVegan and not Vegan. I say that all compassionate efforts count in making this world a better place. Saving wild animals who have gotten a bum deal in life counts uber-much in my book. Kudos to you!

I just have to say you rock :) My foster squirrels thank you for your kind comment!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all 11 pages. People are always provoked by new ideas. American society has been sold on meat and potatoes for centuries and it's hard to change minds. I've cut meat way down in my diet and my family thinks I'll be voting democrat soon. Vegan is healthy, but what's more important, it opens eyes to what big companies are doing to food to make it cheaper and easier to grow.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    A vegan diet is deficient in B vitamins without supplementation. Also, you are missing the very real benefits of whey protein with such a restrictive diet. Furthermore, meat is very filling -- so it is easier to eat less with a high-protein diet (which is considerably more difficult on a vegan diet).
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    A vegan diet is deficient in B vitamins without supplementation. Also, you are missing the very real benefits of whey protein with such a restrictive diet. Furthermore, meat is very filling -- so it is easier to eat less with a high-protein diet (which is considerably more difficult on a vegan diet).

I disagree. I have not yet encountered a day I was low on protein. Not sure why anyone would need a high protein diet but it is possible on a vegan diet.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I disagree. I have not yet encountered a day I was low on protein. Not sure why anyone would need a high protein diet but it is possible on a vegan diet.

Vegan diet is deficient in B vitamins, missing benefits of whey protein, and generally less filling than a diet with a higher proportion of meat.
  • mandydoll
    Options
    I get annoyed with vegan and carnivores equally. IF both sides begin to act like they're superior and look down on others that don't follow their lifestyle choice.
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I didn't read all 11 pages. People are always provoked by new ideas. American society has been sold on meat and potatoes for centuries and it's hard to change minds. I've cut meat way down in my diet and my family thinks I'll be voting democrat soon. Vegan is healthy, but what's more important, it opens eyes to what big companies are doing to food to make it cheaper and easier to grow.

I didn't read all of this thread either, but I think I am one of the obnoxious vegans that people are talking about here. The reality is however, that I never tell anyone what to eat, but rather I keep throwing scientific studies in their faces, showing a definitive correlation between eating meat and chronic diseases. The reactions are usually pretty strong. The dumbest ones usually say something like "studies are all slanted and skewed by researchers who have an agenda," or "you haven't proven causation - correlation does not equal causation." They ignore the fact that studies have been done since the 1940, and virtually all of them show the same thing: eating meat is correlated with deadly chronic diseases. Every reputable medical association in the world recommends eating no meat or at worse less meat.

I recently got into an on-line argument with a VEGETARIAN who was very angry at my approach. He messaged me and said, "What the Hell are you doing. What do you care what those idiots eat? They will get cancer or heart disease and die. This is Darwinism. Survival of the fittest."

I had to say he had a good point. However, I do care for several reasons:

1. I don't want to pay increased health care costs because of them.

2. I was once a meat eater, so there is hope for everyone

3. The animal suffering caused by eating meat is horrible. We are an evil species.

4. I invariably get messages or friend requests from people saying my direct approach has help them.

The latter category is worth talking about. Anyone who has studied sociology knows what "magical thinking" is. It is also known as "cognitive dissonance." People compartmentalize their thought processes and hold conflicting views. For example, some people may say, "The scientific approach is good. It has given us civilization." Yet these same people will make up excuses for not believing thousands of studies that correlate meat eating with chronic diseases. Magical thinking somehow protects them. They think these studies are either bogus, or not properly done, or in the usual words of the most statistically challenged of them, "that causation is not proven." (When asked what study they know of does prove causation, they can't give me one.)

My approach which for some reason many, many people find offensive, is simply this: Look at the science. Are longitudinal studies perfect? No. Can scientists slant or skew results? Yes. However, I really do not think they do a lot (probably the exception is those studies funded by special interest groups, because there, the outcome of the study is tied to the funding.)

In any event, until someone tells me a better source of information than massive longitudinal studies, they will inform my opinion, for better or worse.