"It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

Options

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: A calorie is a calorie. What you eat can make a difference on how your body reacts to it. If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight no matter the variable.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Yea...ya'll don't know what IIFYM really mean
    THIS. Meet macro/micronutrient requirements and if you still have calories left over, then you can eat WHATEVER you want as long as the calories aren't exceeded.
    Your nutritional health should be just fine if you did it right.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Its not a case of ignorance it more of people knowing themselves and what works for them versus what triggers a bad habit.

I mean, after eating a healthy diet of lean meats, fruits and veggies a person is left with 150-250 calories to deal with is it possible to meet those remaining macros by eating 3/4 of a snickers bar or 2 1/3 oreos? Mathematically yes. However, for most people that's a slippery slope.

We can chide them for a lack of will, shame them for not being strong enough to throw away that 1/4 of candy bar away. Or they can simply make it a non issue and not tempt themselves.
  • lalexander206
    lalexander206 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this. What is a macro and IIFYM? Cause I thought the same way you did as far as the calories go anyway.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    That thought process leads to over eating ( empty carbs ) and fatness

I'm sorry but you wont see well conditioned athletes living off of ice cream as long as it fits with in their numbers..
    Do they have a bowl every now and then I am sure they do .. But they don't go from eating syrupy pancakes from ihop to mc donalds for lunch to nachos for dinner and be able to perform/look like they do .

^^^This^^^

I think it's about moderation even if it fits in your numbers. You're fooling yourself if yo believe you have Ho Ho's instead of a protein bar (as an example)
  • cherylf145
    Options
    I agree what everyone is telling you. You must make healthy choices to FEEL healthy. You can lose all the weight you need and still be unhealthy.

I have just started this journey, but I have been on others and I do know that the healthier choices I make the better the healthier food taste and the things I use to like just don't taste as good and it's disappointing when I eat them. I am not a total clean eater and I don't want to live like that, but I am doing much better and the better that I do, then the easier it is.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I don't really care about my macros that much. I try to get in a little protein and fiber and try to avoid LCFA Saturated Fats (I don't try that hard). If I burn more calories than I consume, I'll lose weight. If I eat more calories than I burn, I'll gain weight, and if those numbers are about equivalent, I'll stay about the same weight.

I say it doesn't matter that much what you eat. It matters how much you eat.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, let's not do "you can live on ice cream lol" topics.

IIFYM means "if it fits your macros", meaning you did NOT go over on sugar, carbs, or what have you, but you still ate (in my example) three waffles with sugar-free syrup at 10:30 last night. I, however, was not over on my macros or calorie goal. In THIS example...

There you go.

I have noticed that when I eat waffles/pancakes (I don't usually have syrup because I don't really like it) I do tend to feel pretty yucky. There is something in the mixes that I don't react very well to. Maybe you have an intolerance to something in the waffles you ate last night and the discussion about 'good'/'bad' foods is not really applicable. Just a thought.

Maybe the problem is using "mixes" instead of making them from scratch! :wink:

I actually think it is the flour. It happens when I make homemade bread too....:sad:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    People seem to be missing the concept of IIFYM and the comment 'assuming you get your nutrients'

In that context - yes, I agree.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Its not a case of ignorance it more of people knowing themselves and what works for them versus what triggers a bad habit.

I mean, after eating a healthy diet of lean meats, fruits and veggies a person is left with 150-250 calories to deal with is it possible to meet those remaining macros by eating 3/4 of a snickers bar or 2 1/3 oreos? Mathematically yes. However, for most people that's a slippery slope.

We can chide them for a lack of will, shame them for not being strong enough to throw away that 1/4 of candy bar away. Or they can simply make it a non issue and not tempt themselves.

But none of this makes IIFYM a bad diet. Some of us *CAN* and *DO* eat just two Oreos or just 3/4 cup of Corn Pops with 1/2 cup of milk and be happy with that. If you don't have the willpower, then certainly don't keep Oreos in the house, but to say that it *can't* be done is just wrong. Lots of folks are doing it successfully.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I agree what everyone is telling you. You must make healthy choices to FEEL healthy. You can lose all the weight you need and still be unhealthy.

I have just started this journey, but I have been on others and I do know that the healthier choices I make the better the healthier food taste and the things I use to like just don't taste as good and it's disappointing when I eat them. I am not a total clean eater and I don't want to live like that, but I am doing much better and the better that I do, then the easier it is.

And you can make healthy food choices and still be at high risk of CVD and CHD based on other factors.

Catch-22. See what I did there?
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Then that's self-control not IIFYM itself....

If you can't control yourself with one serving of cookies, then don't eat it...but please don't rant about how unhealthy IIFYM and how it's an excuse to go crazy.

Some can eat 100% clean...I tried and I was miserable.

ETA: http://www.iifym.com/pages/iifym---fad-diet-or-real

Eating whatever you want with no regard to macronutrient composition =/= IIFYM
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with "kinda". I think it goes hand-in-hand with everything in moderation. I LOVE donuts. It's ridiculous. I used to have one almost every morning. For the past few months, I've had one maybe once every two weeks. It obviously increases my carbs and fat, so I just eat low carb and low fat for the rest of the day, make sure to get a lot of protein and a good workout, and move on. It's worth it for me, and I seem to be doing fine with weightloss and fitness, but I wouldn't do this every day or even more than once a week. However, I know that if I completely cut out donuts I will eventually crack and eat like 10 (well, maybe not 10, but I will fail!). The moderation keeps me going.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, let's not do "you can live on ice cream lol" topics.

IIFYM means "if it fits your macros", meaning you did NOT go over on sugar, carbs, or what have you, but you still ate (in my example) three waffles with sugar-free syrup at 10:30 last night. I, however, was not over on my macros or calorie goal. In THIS example...

There you go.

I have noticed that when I eat waffles/pancakes (I don't usually have syrup because I don't really like it) I do tend to feel pretty yucky. There is something in the mixes that I don't react very well to. Maybe you have an intolerance to something in the waffles you ate last night and the discussion about 'good'/'bad' foods is not really applicable. Just a thought.

Maybe the problem is using "mixes" instead of making them from scratch! :wink:

I actually think it is the flour. It happens when I make homemade bread too....:sad:

:sad: :brokenheart:

Maybe it is a gluten intolerance. :frown:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

If the only way to lose weight was to never again even try things like candy bars or fast food I would never have started this. And it would never have worked.

Luckily that isn't the case. People in fact CAN have a candy bar and not become food monsters who eat everything in sight and give up exercising. There's a word for it...

Oh yeah! Moderation.
  • wewon
    Options

Then that's self-control not IIFYM itself....

If you can't control yourself with one serving of cookies, then don't eat it...but please don't rant about how unhealthy IIFYM and how it's an excuse to go crazy.

Some can eat 100% clean...I tried and I was miserable.

And it could be said that eating clean is about how strong of a person you are and how weak ones resolve is.

I never said that IIFYM is bad or not "legit" but that there is a distinct reason that people tend to avoid it. For some, its more of a case of knowing themselves as opposed to pretending that they don't in the name of appearing to have an iron will.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yes I know athletes can indulge more often than Johnny trying to lose 40 lbs.. In fact a good marathon runner friend of mine eats donuts like they are going out of style but he uses them for energy.. I would love to be in that position..

What I am saying is, I do not think it is feasible to eat lower nutrient food like say a big mac and fast food specifically as long as it fits in your macros and get the results you want out of weight loss..

If you are in the process of losing weight and you eat a cheese burger for dinner and it fits in your metrics for the day can you do it ? Sure .. But ultimately it will slow your results down as opposed to eating lean chicken breast and some steamed broccoli for the same meal time...

Not to mention as some one previously said the slope you will be walking on if you are trying to steer your life style on a more healthier path...

That being said if you have reached your goals in size, physically, and in performance you want out of your body you can be more prone to eat fast food lower nutrient dense food etc etc.. and be fine.. Just don't make a habit of it.
  • lettytagle
    Options
    I'm with you!!! It's almost like being an alcoholic. The more you eat carbs the more you crave them!!! Best to stay away and make right choices.
  • wewon
    Options

If the only way to lose weight was to never again even try things like candy bars or fast food I would never have started this. And it would never have worked.

Luckily that isn't the case. People in fact CAN have a candy bar and not become food monsters who eat everything in sight and give up exercising. There's a word for it...

Oh yeah! Moderation.

And that's fabulous for them!! :) Eventhough I'm not sure where the hyperbole came from of 'the only way to lose weight'.

I just wonder how many people lost weight and regained it a year later rationalizing their "moderation" every step of the way.