Milk does NOT do your body good!

Options

Replies

• runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    We are naturally designed to use our legs. Walk your butt to work.

Your mattress is unnatural. Sleep on the ground.

Your shoes are unnatural. Go barefoot.

Toilets are unnatural. Go *kitten* in the neighbor's yard.

Animals sleep on the ground and use their bare feet. Why can't we? They also eat raw meat. Why can't we? Some species show competition by eating the competitor's babies. Why can't we?

I'm a little tired of being compared to animals.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

A study done at Harvard, Yale, Penn State, and the National Institute of Health did a study bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

Citation please ?

I just had milk and I feel fine....
    Wait...*coughing blood*.....what is happening to me ???.......*black veins on neck*.....help me.....*head explodes*
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    A lot of posts in this topic I only skim-read through, so apologies if I've missed something that would change this reply!

"Hormones in milk are bad" - in the UK, it is illegal to give milk or meat producing cows hormones, so anyone from the UK can disregard this. Secondly, hormones are a combination of proteins and fats, which are broken down in your digestive system. So actually it's unlikely they make any difference to your own hormones. If anything, you are just getting a higher protein dose from the same consumption.

Milk has a lot of protein. I can't remember exactly where (and can't be bothered to find it right now), but I read a study that got participants to do a lot of exercise, then half of them drank milk, while the other half drank a sports drink. In the week following it, the ones that had a sports drink had much higher blood levels of muscle breakdown products, and much higher levels of muscle pain and stiffness. Which leads to the assumption that the high protein content in milk is good at helping your muscles to quickly and efficiently repair after exercise, so you do less to kill your kidneys and are more likely to do more exercise the next day. How is this a bad thing?

As for tribes in Africa. Darker skin, different conversion of sunlight towards making vitamin D. Lower average life span. Entirely different lifestyle and diet overall. Not a good way to compare levels of osteoporosis. Also, having been to Africa, I can tell you that a lot of people from lots of different tribes drink milk.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I don't know...everyone's different. I recently came off a 12-month bulk to gain some much-needed weight and drinking milk was the one thing I could depend on to get my protein everyday. I will agree that too much can cause undue weight gain but I think the other benefits far exceed the negatives IMHO. I'm pretty lean and drink at least one glass a day. Milk does my body good, lol.
  • jodi41086
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so i can't have milk anyway and i will drink it every now an then but my boyfriend drinks up to a gallon a day. He is trying to increase his weight and lifts rediculous amounts of weights. If i switch milk he will notice but its good for him(if only i could sneak organic in the fridge)
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options

Animals sleep on the ground and use their bare feet. Why can't we? They also eat raw meat. Why can't we? Some species show competition by eating the competitor's babies. Why can't we?

Haha that made my day >.<
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My husband grew up on a dairy farm They are one of the healthiest & trimmest families I know. They also ate from their garden, raised their own meat and got a lot of exercise looking after all those cows!

If I have to go a day with out my non-fat greek yogurt....I will not be held responsible for my actions. High-protein, creamy goodness!! Yum!
  • RotterdamNL
    Options

A study done at Harvard, Yale, Penn State, and the National Institute of Health did a study bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

Citation please ?

I just had milk and I feel fine....
    Wait...*coughing blood*.....what is happening to me ???.......*black veins on neck*.....help me.....*head explodes*
    Haha and this 1 also ><
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

Haha that made my day >.<

well technically monkeys throw their poop, so we should too.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    We are animals, physiologically. No amount of living in a human society will change that.
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Of course, I would like to add that my DH thinks that my naturally occurring estrogen is sometimes a bad thing :glasses: I think he should just avoid irritating me... :mad:
  • runzalot81
    Options
    We are animals, physiologically. No amount of living in a human society will change that.

Last time I checked, I'm human.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Humans ARE animals.
  • vnb87
    Options
    What about soy or almond milk?
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk, I don't enjoy the taste :drinker: I like soy milk :bigsmile:
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Cows by nature produce up to 10 pounds of milk a day, but the cows the produce the milk we drink are injected with a hormone so they can instead produce a 100 pounds a day.

Seriously? 10 lbs of milk is a little over a gallon. Do you really think a growing calf is going to survive on a gallon of milk a day? And average production for a dairy cow in the US is around 65 lbs a day, though it depends on breed, feeding, etc. Also, it starts at less and grows as the calf grows and lessens as the calf begins to eat solid foods.

My sister-in-law's dairy-farmer father would be dancing jigs if each of his cows consistently produced 100 lbs of milk per day!

Edited to add that there are non-hormonal ways to increase milk production, too. Things like lighting, frequency of milking, and avoiding stress for the cattle will increase milk production without the expense to the farmer of filling his herd with hormones.
  • RotterdamNL
    Options

Humans ARE animals.
    If you don't know what is meant with animals and human your thinking is very small
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Please keep the forum guidelines in mind:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Thank You,
    Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator
    Why was my post deleted, i didn't attack anybody? And the post i was replying to was also deleted, and she didn't attack anybody either.

Lame!
    I have seem some mean and nasty comments on MFP, and they were not removed. Crazy!
  • Anitalose20
    Options
    I appreciate and needed to read your post in order to be reminded why I need to eliminate dairy from my diet! I actually quit dairy during the month of July but started again the middle of August (organic but that doesn't matter does it?). It is Sept. 1st and I need to eliminate it from my diet. I definitely suffer from joint pain and mild osteoarthritis. You have helped to motivate me with these facts, it's not worth it.
    Thank you!
    :flowerforyou: