For you diet soda drinkers out there...

Options
Not losing weight fast enough? Diet soda is worse for you than regular soda. Anyone wanting a healthy life style shouldn't drink any sodas. If you must, at least stay away from the fake sugar. The aspartame used in diet sodas also causes vitamins to be leached from your bodies and it is also highly carcinogenic. Studies have found that bodies react to fake sugar in the same way as real sugar. It might not have as many calories but your body still creates fat in response.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41479869/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/daily-diet-soda-tied-higher-risk-stroke-heart-attack/#.UEJIpdZlSDk

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/28/us-diet-drinks-health-idUSBRE82R1BL20120328

I'm posting this for my mom and aunts who are diet coke addicts.

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There is no way my body creates fat in response to fake sugar--at least not in any way that matters. I drink way too much diet soda and have never been able to quit. The longest I have gone intentionally is 24 hours. It keeps me from eating or drinking something that would put more fat on.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Not losing weight fast enough? Diet soda is worse for you than regular soda. Anyone wanting a healthy life style shouldn't drink any sodas. If you must, at least stay away from the fake sugar. The aspartame used in diet sodas also causes vitamins to be leached from your bodies and it is also highly carcinogenic. Studies have found that bodies react to fake sugar in the same way as real sugar. It might not have as many calories but your body still creates fat in response.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41479869/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/daily-diet-soda-tied-higher-risk-stroke-heart-attack/#.UEJIpdZlSDk

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/28/us-diet-drinks-health-idUSBRE82R1BL20120328

When you read research, please remember that correlation does not equal causation. Here it is stated in the WebMD article you cited:

"Diet Soda No Smoking Gun

Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

'One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda,' Fowler suggests. 'But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity.' "

From the MSNBC article:

"For example, it’s possible that people who drink diet sodas are replacing those saved sugar calories with other unhealthy choices, Gardener said.

That explanation makes a lot of sense to Dr. Nehal N. Mehta, director of inflammatory risk cardiology at the University of Pennsylvania. Although the researchers know the total calories study volunteers were consuming, they weren’t able to account for unhealthy eating habits, Mehta said.

'Maybe along with the diet soda, people are grabbing a Big Mac and a large fries,' Mehta said. 'Soda may not be the villain. It may be the other things people consume in association with diet soda. After all, what goes better with pizza or fries than a soda?' "
  • redheadkirsty
    Options
    It won't stop me drinking it. I quit full fat because I was drinking my calories. I then cut down on all sodas.
    I've halved my intake but that's as far as I'm going. I'm still losing weight at a good pace it.
    I don't get my caffiene from any other source, I don't drink tea/coffee or touch energy drinks.
    Mind you my diet coke is about 2/5 of my drink consumption the other 3/5 is water.

If we never drank or ate anything that was bad for us we would never eat anything you buy from supermarkets.
    Ive heard eggs can be bad for you, red meat can be bad for you, pasta/potatoe is bad for you etc etc.

Basically anything that is excessive in your diet can harm you. I don't drink alcohol I don't smoke. Diet coke is my addiction and I'm ok with that.
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    Or just simply choose selzer water, they have a lot of great flavors out there and they are perfect for suppressing that bubbly carbination grave you get when you grave the sodas
  • AroraSumita
    Options
    I also had a hard time quitting but this trick helped me.I was advised that when i crave soda- i should take one or two sips to satisfy my craving and then throw away rest of the can.
    I do not have the research to quote but the premise is that when we want to drink soda- craving gets satisfied in first sip itself- rest are unnecessary calories....

I did this for one month and now I do not crave it at all and stick with water...

try it if you would like too quit- I know first hand it works! Earlier whenever i tried quitting- after 3-4 days I would drink two cans together !!!

This trick worked like a charm!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sigh.....this again. Sounds faulty so far, but gimme a minute to read your links.

edited to add: Okay. I'm back. And this was all BS.

Both the webmd and reuters links only showed that fat people drink diet soda. It did NOT show that drinking the soda made them fat. Basically, if you're fat, you're probably drinking diet soda. If you're thin, you're more likely to drink regular soda. In other words, correlation, not causation.

The msnbc link was slightly better, in at least they are showing a link between food coloring and health risks. Thin, but that's something.

I didn't see anything about soda leeching vitamins from your bloodstream. And I'd really love to hear your theory about how something with zero calories can turn into fat. I bet that one is a fun story. I bet it's all sciencey and stuff.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Hasnt had a negative impact on my weight loss.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options

When you read research, please remember that correlation does not equal causation. Here it is stated in the WebMD article you cited:

"Diet Soda No Smoking Gun

Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

'One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda,' Fowler suggests. 'But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity.' "

From the MSNBC article:

"For example, it’s possible that people who drink diet sodas are replacing those saved sugar calories with other unhealthy choices, Gardener said.

That explanation makes a lot of sense to Dr. Nehal N. Mehta, director of inflammatory risk cardiology at the University of Pennsylvania. Although the researchers know the total calories study volunteers were consuming, they weren’t able to account for unhealthy eating habits, Mehta said.

'Maybe along with the diet soda, people are grabbing a Big Mac and a large fries,' Mehta said. 'Soda may not be the villain. It may be the other things people consume in association with diet soda. After all, what goes better with pizza or fries than a soda?' "

^^^^^Best reply
    But I will add that I have found that diet soda's do make me crave other foods and for that reason I don't drink them. Years after realizing this research came out supporting this also. One must remember that as with anything research can be made to support either side of this issue by refusing to acknowledge the other side, only by addressing the other side can one give research real value. I will add that just as we are each individuals we must listen to our own bodies.
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    yes but all in moderation:wink:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Mine either. However ^ this guys is way more impressive.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Mine either. However ^ this guys is way more impressive.

What they said. I'm currently drinking a can of Diet Dew that's bigger than my head.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    By that logic, my body should be "creating fat" and I shouldn't be able to see my lovely abs in the mirror every morning.
  • lwlock
    lwlock Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It won't stop me drinking it. I quit full fat because I was drinking my calories. I then cut down on all sodas.
    I've halved my intake but that's as far as I'm going. I'm still losing weight at a good pace it.
    I don't get my caffiene from any other source, I don't drink tea/coffee or touch energy drinks.
    Mind you my diet coke is about 2/5 of my drink consumption the other 3/5 is water.

If we never drank or ate anything that was bad for us we would never eat anything you buy from supermarkets.
    Ive heard eggs can be bad for you, red meat can be bad for you, pasta/potatoe is bad for you etc etc.

Basically anything that is excessive in your diet can harm you. I don't drink alcohol I don't smoke. Diet coke is my addiction and I'm ok with that.

I like the cut of your jib.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I drink diet ginger ale ....a few a week. I have NO problem losing weight.
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I drink a 44 ounce diet soda everyday.....sometimes two! Hasn't affected my weight loss.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Water. 0 calories. 1 1/2 gallons a day.

Keep being awesome.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

^^^This.....
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    By that logic, my body should be "creating fat" and I shouldn't be able to see my lovely abs in the mirror every morning.

Amen to this!!! Haha
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I have cut down, but I wont give it up. I enjoy it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I drink diet ginger ale ....a few a week. I have NO problem losing weight.

same here. i also add rum and muddled limes to it sometimes :laugh: