Pet Peeves at the Gym

Options

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    When there are ten EMPTY treadmills and someone ALWAYS has to climb on the one RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!! UGH!

Yes!! It's like they're purposely trying to annoy the hell out of you:explode:

I sometimes get on a machine next to someone because the show I want to watch *cough-Good eats-cough* is on the tv that's there...so I won't go to one that's so far away I can't see...many people don't do this to bug someone.

People who go to the circuit to use one or two machines for 10-25 minutes...screwing up everybody else who is actually using the circuit the way it's intended to be used.

Amen to not wiping down machines. Gag me.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    When people sit on the weight machines for ages without using them and just staring into the mirrors
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    When people sit on the weight machines for ages without using them and just staring into the mirrors

Hahahahaha! That's both annoying and silly. They sit there and stare at themselves...or dink around on their phones while sitting at the machine.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    1. People who get on machines (treadmills, ellipticals, etc.) and go at no elevation, 2 mph for 30 minutes. You can do that on the track and not waste machines!
    2. People who stare in the mirrors at you, watch you on the machines, etc. I understand, everyone is curious about who's in here working on their fitness. But if you aren't introducing yourself or commenting on my form, why are you hovering and staring?
    3. People who get on a machine, do a set, then send texts for 5 (full) minutes, do another set, send texts for 5 minutes, and repeat.
    4. And, of course, my personal favorite -- the competitors. You know who I mean. There's one guy who will get on a bicycle next to me and turn it on level 2 and try to break the machine. You can hear it screeching in agony. And he's in agony -- he has a towel over his face half the time; he leaves looking like he's jumped in the pool. When he doesn't have the towel over his face, he's turning at a 90 degree angle to blatantly stare at how I'm doing in my workout.

haha sorry, getting off my soapbox now
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My peeves are about the gym itself - they always have the music so freaking loud - I wear sound suppressing headphones and I sometimes still can't hear my music over theirs - and when I ask to get it turned down it goes down a notch for 5 mins then its back up again - and I am there to get my session in not run back n forward to the desk all the time - grrr - I feel like a moany old fart asking for the music to be turned down but I don't want to hear their crappy dance music. There are only 3 crosstrainers (ellipticals) and one has been broken for ages - they help my knee and it annoys me that I want to go back to it in between my intervals on other machines and I can't.

It's a small gym, not part of a large chain, there are no posers and nearly all the gym users just come in and get on with it so these irritations aren't a problem all the time - just enough to annoy me. In saying that, the funniest thing I saw was this person I hadn't seen before took all the decent dumbells off the rack, loads of the weights and bars set himself up a circuit down the length of the gym - nothing wrong with setting up a circuit loads of people do their own thing and set up the equipment for it - however... He was so loud and grunted and roared through the circuit - would do one noisy set of 5 then prowl about the gym posing for the next 10 mins then do it again - but he was even grunting in exertion for really light stuff - for example flipping the tractor tyre up n down the gym he was practically yelling - I thought it was funny as this wasn't someone that was just starting out and trying to push themselves - it was someone that was bulging with muscles and clearly no stranger to strength training and should have found that stuff easy. It seemed to me the noise was purely to draw attention to himself.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    People who curl in the squat rack

/rage every fcking time and contemplate chunking 10lbs weights at their head like frisbees

I thought maybe I was the only one that became enraged with that!
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great question!

1) It's gross when people don't wipe down the machines/mats/exercise balls.
    2) Women who spray heavy perfume in the locker room drive me nuts. One day I was in there and ended up in the line of fire of someone's body spray. It was over-the-top offensive. I understand a small spritz, but a fog of spray in close quarters? Come on now. I was at the locker two down from hers. Maybe it was a subtle suggestion aimed at me post-workout? Ha.
    3) Did I mention not wiping down the machines/mats/exercise balls?
    4) When people hover at a machine while chatting or flirting with another gym member. The world doesn't revolve around you and I have stuff to do and calories to burn. Move along now.
    5) People who take over the entire bench in the locker room. At least pretend like you're courteous and scoot your stuff over an inch or two.
    6) In the name of all that is holy, put stuff back where you found it. Don't make me wander around looking for the step or plyo box. I look like a lost puppy that may cry.
    7) And this is just a gym suggestion, not so much a pet peeve: I wish the instructors would occasionally ask for feedback regarding their classes. I go to this one class on Monday mornings now and then. The instructor is great, but her music is TERRIBLE. No one should feel like they are in a bad dance club at 5:30 on Monday morning. I've never seen so many people leave a class before it's even over or in the middle of cool down. My first thought in this class was "I imagine this music is used as an instrument of torture at Guantanamo."
    8) Ah, and my last pet peeve: When people leave a class early or arrive late. I work in education, so am just sensitive to that. I get that people are trying to get a workout in and have places to be/other responsibilities. If they don't, then shame, shame. I imagine it disrupts the teacher and it certainly throws off my focus at times. (I am probably alone on this one though.)

All in all, I love my gym and all the different types of folks that it attracts. I don't get the sense that people judge one another based on their appearance and that most are friendly and supportive. It's good stuff.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No squat racks.

Not enough plates.

No deadlifting bar loading thingy.

:(
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just use my apartment's gym, but these are my pet peeves there:

People watching stupid tv shows and turning the volume up so loud I can barely hear the music in my headphones.

People who don't wipe down the machines.

People letting their kids run around in the gym, both attended and unattended.

People waiting impatiently for the machine I'm using.

Creepy men.

I think that's all of them ...
  • Khymera
    Options
    People who don't wipe down the machines.

Oh, that grosses me out! Lucky for me, I belong to Planet Fitness, where cleaning the machines when you're done is practically a religion.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    people counting reps in the middle of sets.

half squats

smith machine half squats

excessive or weird grunts

makeup/perfume all over the equipment (puke)

not wiping equipment after using (and it doens't have to be the full disinfectant wipey stuff)

dropping weights, particularly dumbells because you are trying to be cool or using more weight than you can really handle

circuit trainers claiming every piece of equipment

folks hogging equipment

doing exercises directly in front of dumbells racks to the point that others can't grab weights in front of you or walk around

folks who do not rerack weights when done

putting dumbells and plates in the wrong spots on the rack

not putting weights on a weight tree correctly (I get full workouts fixing this ****)
  • ctdeanks
    ctdeanks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When there are ten EMPTY treadmills and someone ALWAYS has to climb on the one RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!! UGH!

Yes!! It's like they're purposely trying to annoy the hell out of you:explode:

I got a chuckle out of this one. At my gym we have 12 treadmills and 2 of them are right under fans / ac grate so i always go for the ones right in that area. I dont care if the rest are open...im sure it annoys ppl but, i have a purpose.

This, there could be 500 machines but if you are by the one that has A/C blowing on me....I will be right beside you.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I'm on the treadmill and a lovely young lady joins me to my left or right and she isn't wearing the right type of support bra. I don't even know where to look, I start looking at the cieling, the floor...I was even examining my nails while running at 8.0. All in the name of not being a creeper.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My main pet peeve is at my gym there is a guy that uses one machine in the circuit and uses it for about 30 minute or more. That's all he does. Messes up everyone else when they are trying to do the circuit right.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

seriously...only one gym i've ever worked out at had one of those...makes life so nice not having to load a bar full of 25's...

It can't be that expensive either...it's just a little kickstand.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

seriously...only one gym i've ever worked out at had one of those...makes life so nice not having to load a bar full of 25's...

It can't be that expensive either...it's just a little kickstand.
    First time I saw one I was like "dafuq is this?"

Then I worked it out and fell in love. Instant romance. I'm considering chocking one up out of wood I can carry in my gym bag somehow...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I've never had the pleasure.

but I did wonder why there was a motorcycle paddock stand on the olympic platform in an online video for a couple of seconds.
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Stinky people.... :grumble:

All other stuff never bothers me :tongue:.

This ^

Perfumes these days literally make me sick. Dunno what's in them, but it just eats away at my throat and sinuses.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    Trying to do the 30min Circuit training at Planet Fitness (there's an area specifically for this) and someone jumps in doing sets.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    People that don't know how to re-rack their weights.

People that work out directly over the rack, blocking weights from everyone else.

People that use equipment as tables.