Job interview. If I do wear a skirt, do I wear pantyhose?

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    People still wear pantyhose????

The product or the word 'pantyhose'? LOL! I've called them nylons my entire life, tights if they are thick but pantyhose?? It’s no longer 1960 everyone, ha ha! *Jokes, don’t get offended if you we’re alive in the 60’s, you know it’s a funny name just like panties ;)

I work in the financial district in Toronto and the only time you see nylons/hose/tights is in winter - too sticky in the summer. Depending where you are it may have cooled off a bit and if you want to be safe rather than sorry go for it but I'm honestly surprised by the amount of yeses. If someone is staring at your legs to determine whether it is skin or nylons showing you have other issues – HR ones before you even start, not good.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Yes wear them. They are more professional.

I have seen very few women who can get away with not wearing them. White women (like myself) are just too pale. Very few women have flawless legs.

Ahhhhh its a flawless thing like foundation/makeup then? Ok that works. If you have veins, tons of freckles or loose skin yes I would agree with all the yeses. I didn't consider the ugly leg factor - I presumed if you were comfortable in a skirt your skin was comfortable to show.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Don't wear panty hose, this isn't the 90's. Just be sure to use a non greasy moisturizer on your legs.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Wow. Now we're discussing relative ugliness of one woman's legs versus another? By whose standard? What is this, 1975?

I repeat, this is setting the women's movement back 50 years.

Back to counting calories...
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    All you pantyhose proponents are setting the women's rights movement back 50 years! :sad:

I've been on Executive Leadership Teams at Fortune 15 companies for 20+ years. Pantyhose are OUT. Tights in the winter are a fashion statement.

When in doubt, wear black slacks.

This is not a women's rights issue, this is a professionalism issue. If I were a man, I would wear a tie to an interview, and no one would say I was setting men's rights back 50 years. Business attire isn't the most comfortable thing for either gender, but if you want to work in a certain type of environment (with its attendant privileges) you have to suck it up, especially for the interview.

And as for slacks, I have a very hard time finding pants that fit me well (no matter what weight I am), so slacks tend to look funky on me. I feel more comfortable, mentally and physically, in a skirt. For times when I need to wear formal clothing, I have a nice suit (just below the knee skirt and jacket) that I wear, that I feel good in. What I'm saying is, black slacks, or a pants suit, may be a good solution for some women, but not all.
  • Dub_D
    Also, don't wear perfume!
  • All you pantyhose proponents are setting the women's rights movement back 50 years! :sad:

I've been on Executive Leadership Teams at Fortune 15 companies for 20+ years. Pantyhose are OUT. Tights in the winter are a fashion statement.

This is not a women's rights issue, this is a professionalism issue. If I were a man, I would wear a tie to an interview, and no one would say I was setting men's rights back 50 years. Business attire isn't the most comfortable thing for either gender, but if you want to work in a certain type of environment (with its attendant privileges) you have to suck it up, especially for the interview.

THIS
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    How is it setting back the women's movement? That's the argument I really dont follow, and I'd happily call myself a feminist! Surely the requirement to keep my legs hair free and attractive (in order to go pantyhose free) would be more of a retrograde step?

How about bras in the office - is wearing those setting the women's movement back too?

I think as well as "professional appearance" (and if I was a man going for an interview, I'd wear a suit and tie, no question), there's the practicality issue. And that really depends a lot on the normal temperature in that part of the world. As I said, here in the UK/ Ireland, bare legs would definitiely NOT be the norm in the office, but that's more to do with the fact that it's flipping freezing most of teh time!

And seriously - can I get an answer to what shoes do you bare legged women wear that dont give you blisters?
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    How is it setting back the women's movement? That's the argument I really dont follow, and I'd happily call myself a feminist! Surely the requirement to keep my legs hair free and attractive (in order to go pantyhose free) would be more of a retrograde step?

How about bras in the office - is wearing those setting the women's movement back too?

I think as well as "professional appearance" (and if I was a man going for an interview, I'd wear a suit and tie, no question), there's the practicality issue. And that really depends a lot on the normal temperature in that part of the world. As I said, here in the UK/ Ireland, bare legs would definitiely NOT be the norm in the office, but that's more to do with the fact that it's flipping freezing most of teh time!

And seriously - can I get an answer to what shoes do you bare legged women wear that dont give you blisters?

I have to wear little pantyhose booties so my shoes don't rub. But you can see them. HOLY CRAP! I SET BACK THE MOVEMENT!

C'mon people.
  • Dub_D

Any heels by Micheal Kors..they are the comfiest.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member

You can get little shoe liners made from nylon, I use them when I don't wear tights to work (I rarely wear panty hose to *work*, after my interview, it became clear that hose are not the norm here unless one is dressed up for some reason).
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    absolutely, perfect legs or not. It is more professional to wear panty hose to a interview.
  • Heidi252
    Heidi252 Posts: 9 Member
    I haven't read all the posts, but our dress code requires "hosiery" from Oct 1 thru April 31st. I have three more weeks of sandals. Boo Hoo. I work in accounting at a bank. Hemlines must come to the knee, no sleeveless either.
  • Don't wear panty hose, this isn't the 90's. Just be sure to use a non greasy moisturizer on your legs.
    Oh my you are too funny!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Don't wear panty hose, this isn't the 90's. Just be sure to use a non greasy moisturizer on your legs.
    It may not be the 90's, but some companies still require women to wear panty hose with dresses and skirts and men to wear ties. Again, wear them to the interview even if it's not a policy for current employees.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Wow. Now we're discussing relative ugliness of one woman's legs versus another? By whose standard? What is this, 1975?

I repeat, this is setting the women's movement back 50 years.

Back to counting calories...

I agree! I remember my mom telling me how she couldn't wear pants to work back in the 70s. I don't wear make-up either.
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    No.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member
    All you pantyhose proponents are setting the women's rights movement back 50 years! :sad:

And as for slacks, I have a very hard time finding pants that fit me well (no matter what weight I am), so slacks tend to look funky on me. I feel more comfortable, mentally and physically, in a skirt. For times when I need to wear formal clothing, I have a nice suit (just below the knee skirt and jacket) that I wear, that I feel good in. What I'm saying is, black slacks, or a pants suit, may be a good solution for some women, but not all.

^^ This exactly. This isn't about woman's rights. If the office has a policy of no bare legs, that policy applies to men and women equally. Why would a woman believe she should be able to wear a skirt and bare her legs?

A skirt with pantyhose is always appropriate even if it isn't always comfortable. When you're going to an interview and don't know the dress code, put on pantyhose.
  • Pantyhose............smattyhose.......................opt for stockings, thigh highs with a nice lacey top. Be daring and feminine at the same time!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    If you shaved your legs then yes.