would you discipline someone for disciplining your child?

Options
123457»

Replies

• MarshallCroft
    Options
    Case-by-case. But if I had to "discipline" that someone, I'll likely put'em in a hurtlock!!
  • raeraeti
    Options
    I should add, I have asked older children to please not climb on the top of slides or on the top of playground equipment. I mean some of those are 20 foot up, that is not how it was intended to be played with. I assume if your child is putting themself in danger y ou would want a stranger to recommend they stop. I wouldn't ever punish someone though. I have said it so it looks like I am asking that they set a good example for my kids, because I don't want my kids to do that.

This isn't cool either. As long as mine aren't being completely stupid like walking into oncoming heavy traffic where they will surely get ran over and killed, don't tell them how you think they should play or how high up you think they should be. I'm always there watching them, if I feel they are in danger *I* will do something about it. I don't need some stranger telling my kids what they need to be doing when I'm right there supervising. You telling them to stop makes me encourage them even more. :X

haha yup. I remember playing on the top of tall slides with my 4 brothers (I'm only 19 now lol) and sometimes strangers would tell us off. Usually one of my brothers would make a rude comment back and we'd keep doing whatever we wanted.

Kids KNOW if their own parent is going to support your telling them what to do. If their mommy doesn't care WHAT you say to the kids, the kids won't care either.

Back off people!
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    I should add, I have asked older children to please not climb on the top of slides or on the top of playground equipment. I mean some of those are 20 foot up, that is not how it was intended to be played with. I assume if your child is putting themself in danger y ou would want a stranger to recommend they stop. I wouldn't ever punish someone though. I have said it so it looks like I am asking that they set a good example for my kids, because I don't want my kids to do that.

This isn't cool either. As long as mine aren't being completely stupid like walking into oncoming heavy traffic where they will surely get ran over and killed, don't tell them how you think they should play or how high up you think they should be. I'm always there watching them, if I feel they are in danger *I* will do something about it. I don't need some stranger telling my kids what they need to be doing when I'm right there supervising. You telling them to stop makes me encourage them even more. :X

haha yup. I remember playing on the top of tall slides with my 4 brothers (I'm only 19 now lol) and sometimes strangers would tell us off. Usually one of my brothers would make a rude comment back and we'd keep doing whatever we wanted.

Kids KNOW if their own parent is going to support your telling them what to do. If their mommy doesn't care WHAT you say to the kids, the kids won't care either.

Back off people!

Well clearly your parents were doing a fabulous job if your brother felt it was acceptable to make a rude comment to an adult.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    People get all uptight about other people verbally disciplinging their children. So its ok for your children to misbehave unchecked when you aren't there??

Talk to your parents or your grandparents. When they were kids, it was common practice for neighbors to step in when the parents were not present and instruct children when they are doing wrong and quite sternly, and then contact the parents which usually meant a spanking for the child when they got home. People have lost that sense of community and you can see the result in children these days.

** I stress again, this SHOULD only be necessary when the parents are not present
  • FluffyToFab
    FluffyToFab Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Only my nieces or nephews unless my children were in some sort of danger by another kids actions.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    People get all uptight about other people verbally disciplinging their children. So its ok for your children to misbehave unchecked when you aren't there??

Talk to your parents or your grandparents. When they were kids, it was common practice for neighbors to step in when the parents were not present and instruct children when they are doing wrong and quite sternly, and then contact the parents which usually meant a spanking for the child when they got home. People have lost that sense of community and you can see the result in children these days.

** I stress again, this SHOULD only be necessary when the parents are not present

What my father would refer to as the good ole days. Took me awhile, but I believe him now.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. Sometimes, raising kids really does take a village. Other times, how things are phrased by other people irks me, and I'm like, I'll discipline my own kid thankyouverymuch.

^^^exactly. If they were being disciplined in a proper manner for something they were doing wrong, I'd thank the person and scold my daughter. If they started using inappropriate words, that's when we'd have an issue. I'm good with words.
  • wens273
    Options
    I don't have kids but it i guess it depends on the situation. If someone is in my house it's a case of my house my rules, if they don't like that well don't bring the kids.That also applies to adults BTW. I also love to play with my pals kids that ARE well behaved. It's different if all you do is nip at them but if the discipline is appropriate (and non physical) but there are also rewards for good behaviour, I think it's reasonable.

If I did have kids I think someone behaved in the same way as I do towards other people's, then I'd be cool with that.

I don't interfere when there's someone I don't know, but if really unruly I might ask the parent to intervene. Or if theres obvious danger, I'd intervene to protect a child. Or an adult.

Regards
    Wx
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the situation. My children are only 3 and 1, so I, or my husband, are always with them, so there's never any need for anyone else to discipline them. They go to nursery 3 days a week as I work part time, and I imagine they get 'time outs' there, and so they should. If they do something wrong they need to know...especially my 3 year old.

Usually i find if they (well, more my son, my daughter is too young to do anything too naughty!) do something naughty while we're out then people defer to you anyway, because it's clear you're the parent.

I have told other kids off at soft play before. A little girl, about 7, came down the slide right behind my son. It's a really long slide and they go quite fast, and at her age she knows to wait. She upset my son by crashing into him, so I just told her to be more careful in the future. Her parents weren't even watching what she was doing.

I'm a secondary school teacher so I discipline kids every day that I work! My school has a discipline system that parents are well aware of, and I follow the system.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Depends, if my child is behaving in a way that is:

1) harmful to himself or someone else
    2) breaking established rules of where ever he is

and I don't see it then I'd be grateful for someone to step in; provided they did it in a proper non-abusive way. Otherwise, butt the hell out!

OR if I have left my child in your care, then I obviously trust you enough to discipline as necessary.

this is the perfect response ...

some people are WAY TO CONCERNED about themselves than they are their kids ... in other words, people probably know when their kids are acting like animals, but don't want anyone to tell them because it reflects badly on them or they will be embarrased, knowing damn well their kids were out of line.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Depends, if my child is behaving in a way that is:

1) harmful to himself or someone else
    2) breaking established rules of where ever he is

and I don't see it then I'd be grateful for someone to step in; provided they did it in a proper non-abusive way. Otherwise, butt the hell out!

OR if I have left my child in your care, then I obviously trust you enough to discipline as necessary.

this is the perfect response ...

some people are WAY TO CONCERNED about themselves than they are their kids ... in other words, people probably know when their kids are acting like animals, but don't want anyone to tell them because it reflects badly on them or they will be embarrased, knowing damn well their kids were out of line.

and that's what's fun about being a parent, when mine think they're gonna start acting up in public, i embarass them right back. sometimes, i do the exact same thing they are doing and they want to crawl in a hole. what i look ridiculous acting like a 2 year old? well so do you! other parents laugh, i'm sure they know how it is too.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If I am not present and have left my children in your care during my absence (teacher, coach, grandparent, etc.), I have no problem with you disciplining one of them should they need it.

If you see them acting in a manner that is harmful or hurtful to themselves or others, feel free to say something to them.

If I am present, and you feel the need to discipline them in front of me because they are doing something that YOU find unacceptable, prepare yourself for the consequences. Rest assured, you will not like it. I don't care who you are to me. My mother-in-law tried that once. She learned the hard way.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    it's NEVER cool for anyone other than me or my husband to discipline OUR children. you try that, or telling MY kid what they should or shouldn't do, i will fly off the handle and you won't be around my kids anymore.

Sorry, but if I'm on the subway and your kid keeps hitting into me or is blocking the door, or spilling crumbs from whatever they're eating onto me, or if I'm at Starbucks and your kid is running in circles hitting my chair on each go round, and you're sitting there pretending your don't notice anything--you bet your *kitten* I'm going to say something to your kid. Control your child and I won't have to.