No really... I AM big boned..?

Options

Replies

• ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    even at my healthy bmi of about 25 I never get in a pair of pants smaller than size 14. My hips protrude to a point where I look sickly at 140. Don't argue if you don't get it.
    If you want to lose weight, then do it. I do.
  • allisonshaw710
    allisonshaw710 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If people have EXACTLY THE SAME skeletons then how is it possible to identify male from female when fossils are discovered from ancient cultures?

Why are some women to 'narrow' for childbirth if the skeletons are EXACTLY the same? is the fat making their hips closer together?

If all skeletons are the same please explain Osteoporosis and the other skeletal disorders. By this thinking then it would be impossible to have any differences in structure at all.

Here's one from the American Journal of clinical nutrition : http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/6/1012.long which discusses frame sizes.

It is utterly ridiculous to say that everyone has the same size of skeleton.

Thank you!!! Because, yeah, my skeleton is exactly the same size as Shaq's...
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I think many people use big boned = more muscle.

things I think are true....
    1. male and female skeletons are different due to hormones
    2. not a significant difference in skeletons of people the same size but certain parts like ribs or hips might be bigger and affect clothing size
    3. people who were once larger will have denser bones and weigh more than someone the same size who was never heavy
    4. unless your body fat is in the healthy range, don't worry about your frame size
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    My wrists have little to no fat on them - the bones are clearly visible even though I'm overweight. They measure 7" around with the tape pulled tight. I can't touch my finger to my thumb with a firm grip, even though my middle finger is 3" long (hello ladies) and from my finger tip to the bottom of my palm is 7". My shoulders are 55" around the tops. Some people genuinely are big boned.

Big bones still don't make you fat, though.

My husband just measured. My middle finger is also 3 inches, and my wrist is 6.5" (still considered "big boned" as it's more than 6 1/4 inches and I'm over 5'2''... barely). The point is that when you're fat, you generally can't wrap your fingers around your wrist, and your wrist measures larger. Once you lose weight, VOILA! Magically you aren't "big boned" anymore. I sincerely believe this is a myth.

Fat people have fat even on the pads of their feet-which is why it's not uncommon to lose 1/2 inch or so when you drop a significant amount of weight (the doctor told me this when I did, in fact, lose 1/2 inch of height).

*perhaps saying it's a myth isn't exactly what I mean. Maybe I think it's misconstrued. Yeah-I used to have an 8" wrist, so just losing 50 pounds has dropped an inch and a half on my wrist (where there's supposedly "little fat" to lose). I think a lot of fat people measure their wrist and think, "see--I'm just big boned, that's why I'm fat," but in reality--it has little to do with it. At my smallest adult size/weight, I was 133 pounds (still quite a lot for a 5'2 1/2" girl), but a size 4. It's no excuse!!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    forget about your skeleton frame and measure your body fat? If it's to high, bring it down. I always used the big bone excuse too. I was 220 lbs and 44% body fat. Now I'm 164 lbs and 27% body fat. My goal is 145 lbs and 21% body fat. I don't have "big bones" I have a lot of muscle. That's why at 5'1 I'm never going to be the 115 lbs my doctor says I should be. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    My wrists have little to no fat on them - the bones are clearly visible even though I'm overweight. They measure 7" around with the tape pulled tight. I can't touch my finger to my thumb with a firm grip, even though my middle finger is 3" long (hello ladies) and from my finger tip to the bottom of my palm is 7". My shoulders are 55" around the tops. Some people genuinely are big boned.

My husband just measured. My middle finger is also 3 inches, and my wrist is 6.5" (still considered "big boned" as it's more than 6 1/4 inches and I'm over 5'2''... barely). The point is that when you're fat, you generally can't wrap your fingers around your wrist, and your wrist measures larger. Once you lose weight, VOILA! Magically you aren't "big boned" anymore. I sincerely believe this is a myth.

Fat people have fat even on the pads of their feet-which is why it's not uncommon to lose 1/2 inch or so when you drop a significant amount of weight (the doctor told me this when I did, in fact, lose 1/2 inch of height).
    And my point is there is no fat on my wrist, of all areas :p There's hardly any skin to pinch even. It aint gettin' any smaller.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Regardless of size and shape I don't think anyones bones could be heavy enough to account for their bmi being in the obese range,, IMO

Bones weighed in isolation - no, it is unlikely. However, frame size/skeletal structure does affect clothing sizes, which is what the OP asked about. It may also have an effect on what weight is/looks 'healthy' on an individual, which can mean that their BMI - not a good measure for individuals in any case - is comparatively high, while their actual physique/physical health is very good. For example, my doctor-dictated 'healthy weight' will still have me in the high reaches of 'Overweight' according to the BMI chart. My doctor knows that with my frame/body type, a 'healthy' BMI would be anything but healthy for me.

I agree what is healthy for one person varies isn't necessarily what is healthy for another person.
    Which is why I said the obese range and not overweight.

( and yes my post was off topic to what the OP asked)

Yes, but the point is that some people, even larger-framed and more muscular than I, might have a healthy weight that puts them in the 'obese' category, according to the BMI chart. Humans come in a remarkable range of sizes and configurations. I'm sure you know that many elite athletes and male film stars who have very high levels of muscle are considered 'obese' in BMI terms, yet virtually everyone would agree that they are very healthy. It's always dangerous to make generalisations about physical structure, especially in the judgemental tone adopted by many in this thread (not you specifically), because there will always be people who sit, very healthily, outside the populational averages that things like BMI are based on, whether by nature, or deliberate design.

I'm glad you said this because I hate that I made a generalization because they are my pet hate and there are always exceptions to the rule. But also I was refferring to the weight of someone's bones alone not being enough to tip someone onto the obese range of the scale, not the rest of their body composition . Do anyone's bones really weigh ( and I know this number is approximate due to variation a in height age etc.. With bmi) 20 kgs more than a person of the same sex and height?
  • suzesymon
    suzesymon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Go and get a DEXA scan, it's the only way to see what's ACTUALLY happening inside your body.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    No one said that everyone's skeleton is exactly the same.

It's more a case that no one is so 'big boned' that they are naturally fat. The weight range for large boned people is higher than it is for smaller boned people, but it's still in the healthy range.

It's an argument I used a lot at one point. "I'm big boned, I'll never weigh less than 147lbs, I'm just not built to."

I'm now 127 and my frame isn't actually that big at all.
    I agree. The weight difference for each body frame is only less than 20 lbs. Take my height for example a 5'2" female which according to the BMI charts, the healthy weight range is from 101-136 lbs. & that accounts from small to large frames. So if you're 5'2" with a small frame, your healthy weight range is 101-121 lbs., for medium frame its 115-132 lbs. & large frame is from 128-136lbs. However if you're overweight & weigh close to 200 lbs. at the same height then that is totally a different story & definitely has nothing to do with bone structure.

Been using that same old excuse myself for years before I finally reached my healthy weight. For many years I consider myself as "big-boned" until I went to a gym & from there they took my measurements and assess my body only to turn out that I actually fall under medium frame. True enough when I lost the weight, I'm indeed a medium frame at 5'2" & 6" boney wrist circumference.
  • njhotsauce79
    Options
    we get so stucked on a certain weight, a certain size and a certain "look." Just work out, eat clean, and let your body be like an onion that you are peeling layers. you will discover what you body looks like healthy. Throw the scale away and just go by how you feel. You will shrink in sizes, but just enjoy the journey and don't stress about it. It bottoms down to eating right and exercising to have a healthy body.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    to deny that bone widths and densities don't differ from person to person is absolutely ridiculous. also, the term "big boned" is used to describe the size of one's frame. bone width, bone density, and size of frame is very largely a hereditary trait.

however, this has no correlation with increased body fat percentage. increased weight, yes, of course-- if you're a bigger/taller/wider person, you're gonna weigh more. but this should not be used as a reason for having a larger body fat percentage than your same height/smaller frame counterparts. and % body fat is what matters, not weight.

i am of nordic blood and i have always known myself to be "big boned". my siblings and i all are, but none of us are overweight (we're all actually considered quite slender), however, we're all on the top end of the "what you should weigh for your height" charts. call it "big blood", if you will. my father was 6'7" and a solid 280 lbs, and a VERY strong nordic blood line. he was a giant.

i'm 5'8" (and am the "shorty" of my siblings) and i have gotten down to 130 before, and i looked terrible. you could see my ribs through my back, my hip bones stuck out extremely far, my clavicle was ridiculously prominent, you could even see my sternum. i looked bony and sick, (and i was), yet i was at a weight that other women i know that are around my height either strive for, try to stay at, or even try to keep under. being at that weight for me literally made me sick, and was unsustanable for me.

when i stay at 150, i look and feel the best, and is a size 6 in jeans for me. yet, if other women i know that are my height went up to 150, it would require them to gain 20 pounds of fat and go up 2 jean sizes. people are amazed when they hear what i actually weigh. i'm currently at 154, i let myself flucuate 5 (and only 5) pounds, and use mfp as a food log when i'm trying to cut a few lbs.

bump.
  • incognit017
    Options
    Oh my! I feel like I've incited a riot.... Honestly, I haven't even been able to read through all the comments, but thank you everyone!

To follow up on a couple of the recurring questions/comments...

My wrist bone also protrudes, and on 70% of the bracelets out there I can't even get it past my knuckles (which also protrude).... here's another one for you - i've been cracking my knuckles for more than 15 years, did that make me bigger?

I do carry my weight very well, and I've asked many people how much they think I weigh.... all are shocked at the true.... yes, I totally agree they can be paying me lip service. When guessing my weight people generally guess 175-190. No one ever guesses the truth, and if you know my family and most friends....its always brutal honesty. I am very broad, even at my current weight I have no "roll" love handles, and my hip bones clearly protrude even when standing up. After asking around, my Mom reminded me that when I was a freshman in HS, I was already wearing a size 9 - and I had very little fat (used to be a lot more athletic then I am currently!), at that point I was bony, but 150lbs. Now I can't tell you what height I was then, but freshman year is what age 14/15? My first license, age 16, has me at 5"7, so I grew another inch after that, and definitely put on some weight. I was probably in a Junior size 11/13 after finishing HS. So, ok getting to a size 10 is very possible.

Anyways, since my freshman physical...outside of dentists, and the most recent experience, 14 years later....I've never been to another doctor - thank god for my health. So, this Doctor telling me that I'm not big boned did throw me for a total loop. I know that my frame is larger than most women, and respect that bones alone cannot account for such a variation in weight, but to then have him tell me I need to be closer to 145lbs to be healthy and getting to 160 is just ok? Please....145? I'd be sick looking. Honestly I walked away just annoyed with that Doctor, and on a hunt to read about bone/frame sizes - thank you all again for the feedback!

Yes, I know and totally agree that it will be healthier in the long run if I lose some weight, and that is my goal...even if ultimately its just so I can get into some designer jeans. :smile:
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Skeletons are all about the same size. No such thing as "big boned". Lol.

^this

I'm 5'5", 140lbs and my wrist measurement is 6.5" - that makes me "BIG BONED"?????
    I wear a size 6 pants (34 inch waist)
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Im 6'4, and my dominant hand wrist is 7.5 inches. I've had my Doctor tell me Im "big boned", (not actually JUST referring to bones but general frame) so anyone saying there's no such thing as "big boned" is ill informed. Even when I slim down to the healthy range I will still be 1 to 2 stone heavier than what the guide lines tell me I should be because of my frame/"big bones". The "healthy range guidelines" are all out of whack and don't take in to account a persons frame, or if they have any muscle.
  • jjxxxbirmzx
    Options
    i do believe you can be big boned, i have lost 37lbs and currently weigh 180lbs even at my biggest my ribs would be prominent when i lay down etc and now its even worse i am still about 30lbs away from my goal but my ribs are extremely prominent but my wrist is very slim!! maybe i have a large ribcage who knows!!!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Skeletons are all about the same size. No such thing as "big boned". Lol.

This ...!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

And my point is there is no fat on my wrist, of all areas :p There's hardly any skin to pinch even. It aint gettin' any smaller.

You say that, but I can see fat on your wrists from here. Were there no fat they'd be more boney and the veins would be sticking through. I didn't think my wrists would get smaller but they did, and that was just going from 14% bf to 11%.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I haven't caught up with this thread for a while.

So, let's see what the experts say?:

Aha! I see my collar bone is thicker than my wife's because that is how male and female skeletons compare

- BUT there is no difference in skeleton sizes?

Hmmm? Perhaps not all the butterflies are in the stomach.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Having a large frame has nothing to do with being fat. This point is what is being missed by at least half the people posting here saying ..you're just fat.

Having a large frame means there is a physical limit to how small (in clothes) you can wear because your hips can't get any smaller than a certain size - some women have more narrow hips than others. Your rib cage can't get any smaller - unless you plan to have bottom ribs removed (which some have done). It has nothing to do with FAT, it's about bone structure. It's why some women don't ever need shoulder pads and look like line backers when they don't do any lifting at all and yet they are thin (this is me at 135lbs) My legs are sickly skinny, like toothpick anorexic looking thin..my hip bones stick out, like protrude as in forget getting any smaller size jeans because they will not fit over the bones that are sticking out! My rib cage is huge, my wrists are huge, and no there is no fat on them right now..and yes the veins are very obviously there - 3 huge ones and a bunch of spidery other ones.

I am fat. I don't deny this, I never have. I am not fat because I am big boned, the 2 are NOT related.. I am fat because I eat too much. The only bearing that my frame has will be to how small of clothing I can wear when I am at my goal weight, That's IT - which is what the OP originally asked before everyone went off on unrelated things.
  • rocuf
    rocuf Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Big boned, small boned, x-small, medium, XL. 175#, 225#, all really don't mean much to be healthy. The thing that I am focusing on is body composition (%body fat).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!