Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• Tracepa98
    Options
    Omg, I cannot stand when people use "Yall". Its a southern thing and with me being from the north, it doesnt exist. Its like nails on a chalkboard every single time I hear it. Just say you or you all!

Another one that "grinds my gears" is when people call it expresso. It is ESPRESSO. There is no X!
  • flpmomi
    flpmomi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love my dad and I know he can't help it because he is Filipino, but when he talks, I can't help but give him the O.e, every time he say a word that starts with a 'F" and it sounds like a "P". I have been trying to correct him since I was like 5. God, love that man! lol
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    Kindergarten, not kidney-garden :grumble:

Hahaha I have never hear of kidney-garden! That's pretty funny.:laugh:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I just thought of something else... I am on a roll LOL

It drives my BF nuts when I say Victoria's Secrets. He's goes, "It's ONE secret, not multiple secrets!"
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Prounounciation instead of pronunciation. That drives me crazy.

:heart:
  • NuttyCake
    NuttyCake Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ruff instead of roof HATE IT!!!! or uge instead of Huge

I agree! It's a roof. Not a dog! It doesn't bark.

Also, another one that I can't stand... Ex-pecially. Ughhh.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I don't like when people say woof instead of woLf, please pronounce the L, you don't say the plural woofs do you, no its woLves! Roof is almost as bad.

I think this is sometimes the accent. My midwestern accent comes out on some words (wolf & roof included) and I hear about it from my BF. It's like the Famliy Guy episode/commercial with cool whip/wheat thins. We have pretty much that same dialogue.
  • tracyowens22
    tracyowens22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ValentiMes instead of ValentiNes... super annoying
    Purdy instead of Pretty
    Set instead of Sit
  • chanixxx
    Options
    aks, Messican, da/dat/dis/dere don't get me started
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    pacifically instead of specifically
    ERGH!! Yes.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    omg it's a COUpon, not a Q-pon.

and if i hear one more person say heighTH instead of heighT...

That must be regional dialect. No one on the west coast says KOO-pon. It is KYOO-pon out here. Even the dictionary includes both pronouncations.

Really? I have lived in AZ and the Northwest my whole life and always said "koo-pon". But my parents were from the midwest. I'll have to see if I notice any other west coasters that say "koo-pon"...
  • Gogretchen1
    Options
    "EK-special-ee" for especially

so bad.
  • Cfkearney
    Cfkearney Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that so many have said irregardless and supposably. These are my top 2. Also I agree with carAmel. There is a second A after all. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not there! LOL

My mom has her own language. She says "warsh" like I'm warshing dishes. Lickwish instead of licorice. kabasy instead of kielbasa. Lots and lots of words like that. Oh and she says carmel.

liberry
    fity instead of fifty
    nuva - like whole nuva level or and a nuva thing....:explode:
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Guy I work with says 'brefix' rather than breakfast...wouldn't be an issue, except in the travel industry 'bed and breakfast' comes up a lot. He's been corrected, and reprimanded, but refuses to change, and no, it's not a speech impediment...
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    "Heighth and width"

Oh, and I used to work at Subway. You'd never think there would be so many ways to pronounce "chipotle sauce"

Chipoddle was the worst, I think.

I worked at Subway right when that came out, you have no idea how many people wanted "chipotole" sauce.

And one lady always came in and ordered a TUNAR sandwich.

and earl & vinekar instead of oil and vinegar. that was the one that drove me the most crazy.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Worcester (as in Massachusetts) pronounced WHOO-stir
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    ma-toor instead of ma-chur (mature)

pronouncing it "ma-toor" makes me want to say "what do you pronounce ALL french based english words with the proper french accent?!"
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    wooter instead of water. Its an "a" people! :huh:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Inta-gritty (Integrity)

Mo-Bile (mobile - it's a mobile phone...mo' bile is what your stomach makes when you eat something nasty)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    It is a Philly thing... but Sasage for Sausage... Drives me crazy....