Word prounounciations that drive you nuts

Options

Replies

• Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Post instead of supposed. It's cute on a 7 year old...not on some who has graduated high school.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Well I know I drive my kids nuts when I say Movie Thee-a-ter instead of it sounding like thee-ter which they claim is the way it should be. Who knew :p
    I also never ever knew it was a hippopotamus.. I always thought hippoPONTamus!!!
    Another one I always say wrong is expecially and not especially.
    The one that really blew my mind...... Santa's reindeer's name is not donner...WTF I guess it is donder!! I had to go to the night before christmas book to look because I did not beleive it!!!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Digical in place of digital.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    hearing mispronounced words is the worst. I just want to curl up in a ball and die.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends mother and grandmother say "Schwimp" instead of "Shrimp".

My father also says "Colon-oss-ah-mee"
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Worcester (as in Massachusetts) pronounced WHOO-stir

How ARE you supposed to say that? I've never been able to figure it out.
  • MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of saying "Acrosst" instead of Across. It drives someone I know bonkers! :laugh:

A bunch of people at my work say this. It drives me crazy but then I start to doubt myself and think maybe I'm the one that's wrong saying across...
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    We have flyers that we send out to customers that they can edit; hence, they are “editable”. We have someone here who constantly refers to those flyers as “edible”…you can’t eat a f**king e-mail!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJS4Xls4oD1H4EF1Y0MerpjMOlib3AgbvinYJ2D39kOKBDoE8W
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My all time BIGGEST pet peeve:

"NUK-yuh-ler" instead of "Nuclear". (There is only ONE correct way to pronounce this word; "nuclear", having to do with the NUCLEUS, not the "NUK-yuh-lus"!)

I've heard presidents of the United States say this, and it makes me want to throw a rock at their head!
  • wendybrat75
    wendybrat75 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would probably annoy most of you on here! :laugh:
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Worcester (as in Massachusetts) pronounced WHOO-stir

How ARE you supposed to say that? I've never been able to figure it out.

Depends, if Worcester [England] then as wooster, but I have heard some Americans pronounce it Woosester, then compound it but saying woostestershyre [ is pronounced woostershear in UK English]

But Dianne Warwick is still Warik over here, pronounced as per the town & county
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK when even educated people say EverythinK instead of everything....and the uneducated people say EveryFinK. ugh.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Missour-ah instead of Missouri.

YESSS! you must be from missouri --- i cant stand it!
  • pinkpanthers1995
    pinkpanthers1995 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    FUstrated instead of fRustrated. There's an R in there people!

I have a friend who does this all the time, even after I've told him he does it. He just laughs and says, 'Yah, isn't it fUstrating?'

^^This! Biggest. pet. peeve. EVER!
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Across said as acrossT. Where does the T come from???
  • iFeelBrandNew
    Options
    salmon -- and enunciate the L

drives me crazy
  • iFeelBrandNew
    Options
    Missour-ah instead of Missour-ee when pronouncing Missouri.

Sounds so annoying to me! I'm from Central Missour-ee and most of the people I've met that say it that way are from the southern part of the state, so perhaps it might just be based on preference and the region you are from. However, TV news reports say Missour-ee and the dictionary also says it should be pronounced with a long e. It takes all of my strength not to correct someone when I hear it! :noway:

where in central missouri? i live in columbia!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of saying "Acrosst" instead of Across. It drives someone I know bonkers! :laugh:

my husband does that. he also says "instid" for ''Instead" and adds a 'g' to onion. it's like "ongion" but it's only 'half the g sound"- I can't even say it.

I don't like that "glottal stop" sound people use instead of enunciating "t"s in words. (like /wa`er/ for 'water'.../ki `ens/ for "kittens")

I also can't stand "dubbbya" for double-u (W)
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    salmon -- and enunciate the L

drives me crazy

Nobody I have ever met, America, British or otherwise says saLmon. I actually lived in Salmon Idaho and it is samon if you said SaLmon, you'd probably be run out of town, lol
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Idear. There is no "R" in the word "idea"

There is up North lol!