Single at 33..why?

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Just a married guys' perspective - don't worry about being in a committed relationship/married for the sake of being married. Being in a committed relationship has it's great points, and it's not so great points. Enjoy the freedom you have to do whatever you wish without needing to plan three weeks ahead for your SO/spouse's plans, childcare, etc, or having to compromise on things you'd rather not compromise about. When the right person comes along, you'll both know it. Best of luck :)
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    At 33, if you are still single, you have to change the way you are doing things. Change surroundings and the type of person you're dating. Get in better shape. There are many things that any 33 year old single could do differently. I don't believe we are meant to be single after 25.

Hope you enjoyed Greys Anatomy last night while I was out partying with awesome good looking fun and exciting people!

The best single times of my life happened beyond 25 - you missed out buddy.

I wasn't watching Grey's Anatomy last night and never have seen that show.

Most people have done the party and club scene in their early 20s. It doesn't take long to see the party and club scene for what it is. As said earlier, by your 26th birthday, most people have seen the dating scene for 10 years, and that's enough time to figure it out. Going through the early rounds of dating when you are 26 or older is a much less gratifying experience. Sure, you can meet someone great after that, but it gets more difficult as many of the best singles are coupled off by then. The market has noticeably thinned by late 20s.

These age figures apply to both men and women. I think it is a smart thing to find a marriage partner earlier and get on with building a desirable life sooner.

i would just like to say a few things:

1. "seen the dating scene for 10 years by the time they're 26"???? um, you're a CHILD till 22, at LEAST. frankly, considering anything under the age of 21 as a part of "the singles scene" is pretty creepy, dude. going all the way down to 16 is verging on pedophilic.

2. you are NOT the same person at 25 as you were when you were 20. as you're not the same person at 30 as you were when you're 25. some people just aren't ready to get married until their later 20's, early 30's, mid 30's, late 30's. and its a GOOD thing to be able to recongnize that so that you avoid getting married too young and then find yourself in a very difficult marriage or divorced.

3. stop referring to it as "the market". we're not talking about cattle here. we're talking about meeting someone and falling in love and making a life long commitment which requires great maturity and reverence, and that has nothing to do with any "market".

4. my husband and i are approaching 30, been married a couple years, and we still enjoy the "party scene", thankyouverymuch. you don't die and suddenly stop enjoying a fun social life when you get married. well, at least we haven't.

1. People start dating each other in high school. I'm talking about the normal high school relationships. That's the typical first exposure to dating. From 18-22, you're going on dates, seeing people. This is exposure to dating.

2. Agree in the sense that if a person can't find someone suitable younger, they should wait. But too much waiting leads to perpetual singlehood.

4. No one said that someone had to stop enjoying a fun social life when you get married. And going out to bars and dance clubs as a 30 year old couple is a much different mindset than going out to bars and dance clubs as a 30 year old single.

wow, you have so much wisdom to share. when does your creepy pervy talk show come out?

:/

I perceive that one liner as rude and uncalled for.
  • rsellersCST
    rsellersCST Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Just a married guys' perspective - don't worry about being in a committed relationship/married for the sake of being married. Being in a committed relationship has it's great points, and it's not so great points. Enjoy the freedom you have to do whatever you wish without needing to plan three weeks ahead for your SO/spouse's plans, childcare, etc, or having to compromise on things you'd rather not compromise about. When the right person comes along, you'll both know it. Best of luck :)

^^ This...

AND... just a bit of different perspective... I'm 33, have two of my own kids, also two stepkids and on my second marriage because I was widowed from my first. Life just doesn't always go the way we want or think it should.

Yeah... I LOVE being married... I loved my first husband, our marriage was challenging... I love my second husband... our marriage is challenging :-)

It truly does matter the who of it all... and not the what... seriously... WHO you marry is the most important decision you will EVER make and well worth the wait. My first husband was more than worth marrying... and my second husband is well worth marrying... but they have GOT to be worth the work that it takes... or the label doesn't mean anything and actually brings strife.

If someone ever told me "this" would be my life now... I would have laughed and said NO WAY! But here it is... I can either rebel against it and whine that it's not what I thought it would be or feel it should have been... or embrace it and go with it...

Enjoy life... get out there... yes... MEET PEOPLE... and HAVE FUN!!! Don't let the idea of BEING married be the focus... find a way to live and enjoy life and when you meet the right person, they will be the one you say wow... they feel like "home" and they are just as eager to enjoy life WITH me and work towards goals WITH me.... as I am to do for them... even when life isn't the way I thought it was going to be. I think that's one of the interesting things that my second husband and I have in common... I don't think EITHER of us thought "this" would be our lives now... but here we are...

Patience... one of the hardest things... but WELL WORTH IT! Hang in there!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The harder you look, the less you'll find. And when you have them - the harder you look, the less you'll find appealing...

Reassess your standards - what you liked about previous relationships, what you didn't like. What you want (tall, dark, handsome) vs. what you need (dependable, reliable, trustworthy). Try to aim for what you did like.

Also, try a hands-off approach and let the chips fall where they may.

Or you could try a dating service to find a match more closely suited to your desires.

I didn't date for 3 years trying to find myself an who I wanted in life... it's not easy.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I am 32 and single, and this thread has been quite uplifting for me. So, thank you.

OP: Hang in there, girl. :flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    Options
    I perceive that one liner as rude and uncalled for.

much of what you have said today has been the same. I apologize for saying it so bluntly, but you have really alienated some very happy healthy people today simply because they are not on the same life plan as you.

You've said point blank that they are unnatural and have lived their lives incorrectly and are in the undesirable state of being single because of some faulty decision making of their own.

I find that to be rude, uncalled for, closed minded and just plain old spiteful uninformed intentional hurtfulness.

oh these people dont have complexes but they should!
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    I just turned 28, have a good career, own my home, have loving friends and family. No boyfriend, no husband, no children and I'm perfectly fine with that. If someone comes along and I can share what I have and enjoy with them, great! If not, I have my back-up friend and we're getting hitched at 40 for the tax breaks. :)
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you wonder how you could be single and unmarried at 33. It's really depressing, bec I know I am a good perosn, but I can't seem to find a good man. I date the musican types, and they have proven to not make good boyfriends. And my man wants me to meet a good Christian/BA Degree/smart/good job etc. and I told her most of them are married by my age. And all the good men are taken.

Sucks becuase everyone my age in the church are all married with kids. I feel like there's something majorly wrong with me. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

I'm married. I'm a catch. I got hooked young. I will say what all my friends who are in your position, the quality of people aren't there statistically. It doesn't mean you aren't quality, and it doesn't mean there isn't quality people out there, just that you may have to look harder.

Just know what quality of a person you are, and expect none less. Don't settle for awful boyfriends.

I'm a musician. I met my wife as one. I will vouch that there are a lot of awful human beings in music. I do meet some great people, but for every great, I meet like 5 awful people. So if musicians are your preference... Maybe change genre of music? Those jazz bands always seems to be so mature... I sometimes (current band excluded) feel like I'm surrounded by monkeys in this business.
  • Tay617
    Tay617 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    am i the only one who thinks 26 is still young, i had a friends get married at 25 and divorced less than a yr later, she has a beautiful son, but who says there is a "right" age, not too long ago there was a time when it was normal to be married at 20, ummmm we dont think thats the best decision at this time now do we. We as women have more options now than just finding a husband and raising kids, believe me i understand the fairy tale seems so grand, I would love it too, but dont beat yourself up or think something is wrong. i discovered comparing yourself to other people isnt always the best idea, it often will leave you down or questioning yourself, the grass isnt always greener.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I really hate the idea that one has to 'change' to meet a life partner. In fact I have to say it's a disgusting idea. We should never have to change who we are to 'meet' someone. That's called manipulation, lying and is a recipe for being completely miserable in future.

For pities sake be who you ARE. Someone out there is going to love who you are naturally. Lots of people will love the fake you too but you'll be miserable as you hide your true self all the freaking time just to be 'loved'... except it's not YOU someone is going to love but the 'you' that you pretend to be.

ARGH! Sore point. Sorry. I'll go now.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just turned 27 a couple weeks ago, and then was a bridesmaid in a friends wedding this past weekend. It was both her and the grooms second wedding and she is just a couple months younger than me and he is 29. Seeing them both going for their second try when I have not managed to make it that far even once does make me question myself at times, but then I try to remember the good things about remaining single. Plus I am kinda picky about men and really do not want to settle for something less than I want just because I feel left behind.

I agree!!!!!!! I am really picky too. I don't want to be with just "anyone."
  • pooleekylie
    Options
    I'm single and 37, never been married, no kids and do you know what that means?

It means I haven't ****ed up!

So congrats on not making any mistakes in your 33 years!

:flowerforyou: Cracked me up.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

wow, you have so much wisdom to share. when does your creepy pervy talk show come out?

:/

seriously. Im starting to think he's just having a really bad week - no one can possibly say that the 5 years you get dating between 16 and twenty one is fully half of the needed experience for getting married.

Hell I didnt even get sexually active until I was about 20. So the four years previous to that were spent learning to flirt. how to kiss and how to tell if attraction is mutual and ALL of that takes backseat to other new things you are experiencing like........ ooh I have titties, why are friends all getting *****y and making new friends, why are my grades important, I cant believe I have my first job, i cant wait to move out of my parents house...........................................

Im pretty sure you need some kind of different experience than that in order to be able to take on marriage.

word.

as far as high school goes-- between school work and being a year round athlete AND having a part time job, i didn't exactly have time to have this so called "normal high school dating phase" that is apparently, according to this guy, a "normal and necessary" part of the road to marriage. i had an absolute wonderful time in high school, went to school dances and such and played sports and had a blast with friends, but i refuse to believe that the awkward "omg are we gonna kiss before this night is over" or "oh my gosh i'm totally crushing on todd he is sooo cute" can actually be considered "dating experience" in the context of marriage preparedness. that's called being an awkward teenager who is fumbly learning about the opposite sex.

as far as college goes, whether you have a steady relationship (as i did for the first 3 years), or you're single and floatin around having a blast (as i did for my second 2 years), you're discovering YOURSELF, and should be looked at as such. i don't care what anyone says, you're still a kid in college.

if you happen to meet who you end up marrying when you're in high school or college, then cool, what a neat thing to tell the grandkids. but you don't become an actual adult capable of understanding what "dating for the possibility of MARRIAGE" really means until your low to mid 20's (at least), and just because you reach 25 and "ERMAGERRD YOU'RE STILL SINGLE" doesn't mean something's wrong with you because "you've had 9 years experience already".
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options

1. People start dating each other in high school. I'm talking about the normal high school relationships. That's the typical first exposure to dating. From 18-22, you're going on dates, seeing people. This is exposure to dating.

2. Agree in the sense that if a person can't find someone suitable younger, they should wait. But too much waiting leads to perpetual singlehood.

4. No one said that someone had to stop enjoying a fun social life when you get married. And going out to bars and dance clubs as a 30 year old couple is a much different mindset than going out to bars and dance clubs as a 30 year old single.

1 - Dating in High School is nothing like dating in college, or post college, or later. As you age things change how you could possibly compare a date when you are 16 to a date when you are 26 is beyond my comprehension - just goes to show that while most people mature and grow up - you probably did not.

2 - There is nothing wrong with "singlehood" - I choose to be single, and there is nothing wrong with that, you act like it is a curse or something. You do not have to do this quick to be successful - if someone is right for you - then that's all you need - regardless of if you in your 20's 30's 50's or whatever. You are truly naive to be that dead set on your beliefs as the only way people should be. I am guessing you do not live in or near a city. Millions of people do not marry until they are well into their 30's.

3 - You are right, but I guarantee you that either the couple or the single can have just as much fun - and I have proven that time and time again - I have fun every weekend, and I am not talking about just hooking up - I am talking about music and dancing and doing whatever I feel like.

Your posts are very closed minded and you are not a very constructive person in the scope of the original posters thoughts. Instead you come here and try to belittle people who waited longer than the cutoff age that you approve. The thing is most people who are on this site are not going to be convinced or swayed by your opinion - I think the opposition to your first post alone should be enough indication of that.
  • yoovie
    Options
    two people cant get married unless they are two people.

otherwise youre taking two half cooked meals out of two different ovens and mashing them together and yelling BE AN AWESOME MEAL NOW
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    as far as high school goes-- between school work and being a year round athlete AND having a part time job, i didn't exactly have time to have this so called "normal high school dating phase" that is apparently, according to this guy, a "normal and necessary" part of the road to marriage. i had an absolute wonderful time in high school, went to school dances and such and played sports and had a blast with friends, but i refuse to believe that the awkward "omg are we gonna kiss before this night is over" or "oh my gosh i'm totally crushing on todd he is sooo cute" can actually be considered "dating experience" in the context of marriage preparedness. that's called being an awkward teenager who is fumbly learning about the opposite sex.

as far as college goes, whether you have a steady relationship (as i did for the first 3 years), or you're single and floatin around having a blast (as i did for my second 2 years), you're discovering YOURSELF, and should be looked at as such. i don't care what anyone says, you're still a kid in college.

if you happen to meet who you end up marrying when you're in high school or college, then cool, what a neat thing to tell the grandkids. but you don't become an actual adult capable of understanding what "dating for the possibility of MARRIAGE" really means until your low to mid 20's (at least), and just because you reach 25 and "ERMAGERRD YOU'RE STILL SINGLE" doesn't mean something's wrong with you because "you've had 9 years experience already".

The "10 year" thing I said came from the ideologue perspective. What I said makes sense in an ideal world. I certainly feel that it is more emotionally draining to be looking for and going on first dates when you are in your late 20s, as opposed to early to mid 20s. There's a lot of nonsense that goes in the early stages of dating, and you have to weed through a lot of stuff that would make a rational, reasonable person shake their head in disbelief. The younger you are, the more patience I feel is present in dealing with the nonsense. And it hurts to think that you were doing the same stuff as you were 10 years prior, no matter what your relationship history has been to that point. One would think that they should be beyond that phase in their late 20s. But going on first dates in your late 20s is a less worse fate than being in a lousy relationship. That's the pragmatic approach.

There's always a difference between the ideal and the practical.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Just stop effing acting like you know what it feels like to be a damn 30 something year old woman.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I completely gave up on men when I was 24. I hated so many masculine traits and how they seemed to objectify women. I dated women only for 14 years and fell in love a couple of times. One night I went out on the town with an on and off again girlfriend and in walked the man who changed my life. It was love at first site and I was 38. We have a near perfect relationship and he very rarely displays the traits I disliked so much in the men I dated in my youth. We have had 2 sons and although our second born son passed we are still hoping for 1 more. It's never too late. :heart:

I'm straight, but sometimes I wonder if I should swing that way! hahaha. I"m just kidding, I do love men in some ways. My best friend from elementary school is Lesbian, has a gf of six years, happy.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Just stop effing acting like you know what it feels like to be a damn 30 something year old woman.

My posts are intended to be gender neutral, applicable to both men and women, which I have said before in the course of the discussion. I've never pretended in the course of this discussion to be a 30 something year old woman. No idea where you got that idea from.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

The "10 year" thing I said came from the ideologue perspective. What I said makes sense in an ideal world. I certainly feel that it is more emotionally draining to be looking for and going on first dates when you are in your late 20s, as opposed to early to mid 20s. There's a lot of nonsense that goes in the early stages of dating, and you have to weed through a lot of stuff that would make a rational, reasonable person shake their head in disbelief. The younger you are, the more patience I feel is present in dealing with the nonsense. And it hurts to think that you were doing the same stuff as you were 10 years prior, no matter what your relationship history has been to that point. One would think that they should be beyond that phase in their late 20s. But going on first dates in your late 20s is a less worse fate than being in a lousy relationship. That's the pragmatic approach.

There's always a difference between the ideal and the practical.

I think you make some good points.

I know I'm weary of first dates. ): There is a LOT of nonsense that one has to weed through and I just have little patience for nonsense these days...