Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Haha, there are in fact. I remember recently (last year or so) there was a deranged guy with a machete somewhere in the London area and it took about 30+ police officers to surround him and get hit with a machete to stop him. In the US the first responding officer would've shot him within the first minute and the situation would be over.

There are armed police in the UK but most police are not armed. A few days ago, two policewomen were shot dead in Manchester by someone who was wanted by the police. He called in requesting help for a burglary but it was a hoax call and it seems that it was a premeditated attack. This has been big news over here, mainly because it is such a rare event. Yes, guns are a problem in some parts of inner cities, but are associated more with criminal gangs.
    The shootings have raised the issue of all police being armed but the general consensus seems to be that this is a road we don't want to go down. There is an argument thst violence attracts violence. And yes, I know the world isn't all butterflies and nicey nicey. There are no easy answers but I am glad to live in a society that does not feel the need for widespread gun ownership.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

Let me just say that it's exceedingly difficult to find something that is lightweight AND doesn't have a lot of kick, unless you're looking at .22LR pistols.

The weight of the pistol and the length of the barrel actually help absorb some of the recoil. My usual carry pistol is a 4" 1911 in 45ACP. Almost 2 pounds of gun, plus ammo weight. I can shoot it all day without a problem. A friend let me try her DB9 (a small, concealable 9mm pistol by DiamondBack), and after 3 shots I gave it back - the recoil was such that I had hardly any control, and at 3 yards, I think I hit the paper once. So much for a lightweight gun.

The best advice given to you so far is to try and rent a couple of different guns and see what you like. What looks great on the shelf, and feels good in your hand, may not be the gun for you on the range. And if you can't shoot it on the range, you won't practice with it, and you won't be confident enough in it to use it in an emergency.

PS - if you were local, I'd take you out shooting. :)

Thanks! My dad keeps asking me to go to the range with him when I visit. Haven't yet but I plan on it!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Haha, there are in fact. I remember recently (last year or so) there was a deranged guy with a machete somewhere in the London area and it took about 30+ police officers to surround him and get hit with a machete to stop him. In the US the first responding officer would've shot him within the first minute and the situation would be over.

There are armed police in the UK but most police are not armed. A few days ago, two policewomen were shot dead in Manchester by someone who was wanted by the police. He called in requesting help for a burglary but it was a hoax call and it seems that it was a premeditated attack. This has been big news over here, mainly because it is such a rare event. Yes, guns are a problem in some parts of inner cities, but are associated more with criminal gangs.
    The shootings have raised the issue of all police being armed but the general consensus seems to be that this is a road we don't want to go down. There is an argument thst violence attracts violence. And yes, I know the world isn't all butterflies and nicey nicey. There are no easy answers but I am glad to live in a society that does not feel the need for widespread gun ownership.

I would HATE it if that unfortunate and tragic incident led to our police being armed, what a sad sad world that would be
  • Lisa1971
    Options

I would HATE it if that unfortunate and tragic incident led to our police being armed, what a sad sad world that would be

Not being snarky but why are you against cops being armed?
  • wholelottarosa
    Options
    Being from the other side of the pond, I'm with the Brits on this. My first response was when reading this post: "What wait ALL OF YOU own guns? But you look like such normal and friendly people..." This latter is not meant to offend (of course!), it's just that out here only the bad people and the cops have guns. Generally they use them to shoot at each other, not at anyone else. For me it is fascinating to read this though, I didn't know guns were that common. I thought the movies were exaggerating.

So I don't own a gun. I have never fired a gun. I don't even know anyone who has a gun.
    Yes, there's burglaries and robberies here, although not many of them. See, for the bad guys it's also quite hard to get a gun here...
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Being English, this thread scares, worries and makes me feel glad to not live somewhere where owning a lethal murder weapon is so normal. I do realise that this is a massive cultural difference, that you are all coming from such a different culture that you will have no concept of why i would find anyone wanting to own a gun baffling and concerning, and the thought that ordinary people have them for 'home defence' what ever that might be, is so alien to me its like talking about a different and very scary planet.

It's not the people with concealed carry permits you have to worry about, it's the psychos who don't give a *kitten* about taking the lives of others. I would much rather be prepared than sorry.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ruger P95 9mm is what I carry personally. If you are looking to do concealed carry a snub nosed revolver would be the way to go
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a 38 Taurus Lite. Its light weight and easy to shoot. He just bought a 9MM. I haven't tried it yet but I'm partial to revolvers.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options

they don't need to be armed, they never have been, why would I want a policeman wandering around with a gun, he doesn't need it to do his or her job, in most cases, I would feel that we had taken a very backward step and feel much less safe if the police here carried murder weapons, its a different culture and I would hate to live in such fear all the time that I felt I NEEDED armed police
  • DevinnW2010
    Options
    :happy: I think the best defense gun is a .380 smith & weston, that's what I have I am 119pounds & 5'3'' & that gun is just right for me, it's a strong gun but doesn't kick alot! I shoot guns often! & that's me recommendation!!!
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would say go to a range and test a couple different types out. You wont know what is comfortable for you until you shoot it.

I have a glock, ruger .380, mossberg shotgun, ak-47, tarus judge revolver long barrel, and a ar-15.
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a compact semiauto in .40 cal.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Best practice would be going to your local range if you have one, find out what guns you can rent for the range and try as many of them out as you can possibly shoot. Get an idea of what caliber you like, the size, the grip, etc. Find something YOU would be comfortable with and be willing to practice with. Then, research, research, research. Watch youtube reviews, visit a gun forum or two and read some reviews on a particular brand and model that you like, then make an informed decision.

Personally speaking, I like my Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm, M&P .40 compact, CZ 75 D Compact, and the Glocks 19,26,27,23.

If you plan on using it for personal carry and self defense, then pick out something comfortable for you to shoot and something you will want to shoot and practice with. Taking some personal defense with firearms classes would be a great idea as well.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Isn't England the reason we can carry? ;)

to the OP, if it's for home defense, get a shotgun. Short barrel. for concealed carry, it's more complicated. concealment, stopping power, size, holster, method of carry, etc. It will take a while to figure it out.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I offend anyone, buttttttt, after working in ems for years, the 9mm always did the job.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    S & W .500 Magnum, just in case you come face to face with a grizzly bear..........

Seriously though a heavy barrel .38 loaded with +P semi-jacketed hollow point will do the job while being very easy to handle and simple to use (call me old school, I like revolvers and was seriously PO'ed when 4" barreled pistols become prohibited in Canada.......)
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Was surprised to see this post and surprised there were no anti-gun responses.

I'm also a little surprised at how many of you possess hand guns. Where I'm from, it's such a hassle to possess a handgun that I actually don't know anyone that owns one.

Now long guns...different story.
  • Lisa1971
    Options

they don't need to be armed, they never have been, why would I want a policeman wandering around with a gun, he doesn't need it to do his or her job, in most cases, I would feel that we had taken a very backward step and feel much less safe if the police here carried murder weapons, its a different culture and I would hate to live in such fear all the time that I felt I NEEDED armed police

Ok fair enough. I am just glad the cops over here are armed and will kill a suspect. I live right behind our local police department and feel very safe but you can never be too careful IMO.
  • nana6380__Chris
    nana6380__Chris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ruger .357 or .38 special. We both have carry permits and thats what we carry matching his and hers..about 350.00
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Personal preference - 9MM, .22 or a Colt .45
This discussion has been closed.