Gun owners?

Options

Replies

• journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My daily carry gun for my purse is a Smith & Wesson .38 Airweight--rubber hand grips (much more comfortable). If I were to carry in a holster on the waist, I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm, .40, and subcompact .45. My husband carries a .380 in his pocket. They are great pistols, but be sure you have the hand dexterity to work the slide--this goes for any semi-auto pistol. For home defense, I have all aforementioned pistols and a short-barrel Mossberg 500--12 gauge shotgun.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

Ok fair enough. I am just glad the cops over here are armed and will kill a suspect. I live right behind our local police department and feel very safe but you can never be too careful IMO.

Kill a SUSPECT? Wow..here you are innocent until found guilty in a court of law, the police can't just kill people they THINK might have committed a crime

I think in this case, the term "suspect" is referring to a person who is actively shooting at/beating/maiming or otherwise harming another person.

An example....here, in my town, a man dragged his wife out of their car, in front of their children and proceeded to stab her repeatedly. Had a police officer been onsight, he would have shot this man and saved the woman's life.

Sadly, no one on the street was armed that morning and by the time a good samaritan pulled out his tire iron and beat the man off his wife, she was dead.

These are the reasons we're happy that our police are armed and that, with proper background checks and licensing, we can be armed in order to protect ourselves.

Omg how awful!
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Answer to your question is - the gun that you can shoot quickly, yet accurately... are not afraid of, and willing to pull the trigger on. :happy:
  • CassieLyle
    Options
    I have a Smith and Wesson 380.. I love it.. Small.. Easy to conceal..LOVE IT!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread!!

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP .45 - probably not exactly what you are looking for, but I don't think the kick is bad at all. Lots of stopping power! And really pretty (haha): http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/cdp-ii/ultra-cdp-ii
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If it's for HOME defense and not to be carried then I would suggest an AR15. No recoil and thirty round capacity.
    DSCF2180.jpg

If what I carried was up to me it would be a Glock 19 and I highly recommend it to anyone who asks.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    So many choices for me now! Thanks!
  • MsNegron
    MsNegron Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Kimber 1911 9mm. Shoots like a dream, but it's expensive. The other option would be a Glock 19, but I don't like it nearly as well.

I personally love my Glock 19. But if you want something a little more dainty there's always the 26 I suppose lol.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    My hubby wants to get me a gun for Christmas and I'm not sure what I want. He's away this week on a hunting trip in the arctic circle and left me his .357 just in case! I have my gun permit and am a fabulous shot according to dh and my dad. :smile:

Just wondering what is a good gun for personal defense. I want something lightweight and not a lot of kick to it. My dad suggested a .22 revolver.

Just looking for suggestions! Thank you!

A .22 would be great for you. You can get them in more than just revolver, which would give you MANY more shots (if in case you need them or there's more than one attacker)

Or you could also check out the Springfield Armory's XD 9mm. It comes in a subcompact so it's small enough to fit in a purse but then has a longer length magazine that it comes with to make it a full size handle.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a 9mm that I like because it's light weight and fits under my bike clothes, but the trigger pull is so long on it that I always end up dropping a little by the time it engages and shooting about a foot low on my target. I'm dead on with the .45 but its so heavy!
  • TexanThom
    Options
    Haha, there are in fact. I remember recently (last year or so) there was a deranged guy with a machete somewhere in the London area and it took about 30+ police officers to surround him and get hit with a machete to stop him. In the US the first responding officer would've shot him within the first minute and the situation would be over.

There are armed police in the UK but most police are not armed. A few days ago, two policewomen were shot dead in Manchester by someone who was wanted by the police. He called in requesting help for a burglary but it was a hoax call and it seems that it was a premeditated attack. This has been big news over here, mainly because it is such a rare event. Yes, guns are a problem in some parts of inner cities, but are associated more with criminal gangs.
    The shootings have raised the issue of all police being armed but the general consensus seems to be that this is a road we don't want to go down. There is an argument thst violence attracts violence. And yes, I know the world isn't all butterflies and nicey nicey. There are no easy answers but I am glad to live in a society that does not feel the need for widespread gun ownership.

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    <--- This little lady's favorite gun is my 9mm. However, I also like my 12 guage shot gun. They both have a small kick but nothing too severe. I've considered carrying while I run... but I think it'd be uncomfortable. So, I stick to running in areas where I feel safe. My mom has the most adorable little teeny hand gun - lol - that I'm sure would be ok to run with but I'm not sure it'd do much more than make an attacker (or bear) really pissed off! hahaha
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    If it's for HOME defense and not to be carried then I would suggest an AR15. No recoil and thirty round capacity.
    DSCF2180.jpg

If what I carried was up to me it would be a Glock 19 and I highly recommend it to anyone who asks.

An AR15 for HOME DEFENSE? Are you sure? Because I think that would be fairly dangerous to anyone in an adjacent room or apartment, please correct me if I am wrong. The glock 19 or a shotgun I could definitely understand with some 00 shot in there most likely wouldn't go through several walls. Where as an AR15 would go through a few walls...
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I would not want to have my life depend on the stopping power of a.22. IMHO .38 is a MINIMUM. I personally carry a .45 but realize that .45 is a little to big for most people. I understand that .22 has and will stop many people but I just would not want to rely on it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    DSCF2180.jpg

An AR15 for HOME DEFENSE? Are you sure? Because I think that would be fairly dangerous to anyone in an adjacent room or apartment, please correct me if I am wrong. The glock 19 or a shotgun I could definitely understand with some 00 shot in there most likely wouldn't go through several walls. Where as an AR15 would go through a few walls...
    5.56mm is actually LESS dangerous after going through a wall than 00 pellets or handgun rounds as it's wounding power is dependent on velocity which it sheds rapidly while passing through drywall. Any round that will effectively and quickly stop a determined attacker will also penetrate interior walls.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    It is really disconcerting to log onto a health and fitness site and see a thread about guns. With pictures of guns.

I know it's not the first thread on this subject, and it won't be the last, but urgh :frown:
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    DSCF2180.jpg

I disagree on this I do not like any rifle for home defense. I want the round to stop in the bad guy not the neighbors house. I realize that they make home defense rounds. but it is hard to beat a 12ga for a HD weapon.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Is there anything sexier than all these beautiful ladies talking about guns??? :bigsmile:
  • m_shuman
    Options
    Def for at home but not sure if I want to carry one. Too worried my kids will go into my purse and find it.

I am big into shooting. My hubby is an NRA instructor, has an FFL, and an avid IDPA member. I shoot and carry a .38 Smith and Wesson Airweight Revolver (Oh they make one with pink grips). It is easy to shoot and clean. The next gun I am going to buy for personal defense is a Springfield .45 XDS. It is a small .45 no bigger than the palm of your hand and it shoots like a .22. I also like shooting my husbands 9mm Glock. I would never use a .22 for home defense or personal carry. It is way to small of a calibur for this. If I am using it to protect myself I want to make sure the person I shoot is dead not wounded.

Also If you do carry just a word of advice. Do not carry in your purse as a woman this is the first place we think of putting our gun but, truth be told this is a great way to have you firearm stolen when you need it most. The first thing someone mugging you is going to go for is your purse and if you protection is in it you are in big trouble. Either you are going to become a victim of your own weapon or your weapon is going to be used in another crime. Always carry your weapon on you. I carry on my hip.

ETA: reading through the tread something else to consider is the type of ammo. You want to buy a firearm with common easy to find ammo like .38. 9mm or .45.
This discussion has been closed.