you named your kid what???

Options

Replies

• nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    why does this matter so much? why can't people accept others' decisions to be unique and do whatever they want? the "most common/traditional" or "standard" way of spelling a name is usually considered the "best" by ethnocentric people. the problem i see is that many white Americans are terribly dismissive of trying to spell and/or pronounce names that are not the "most common/traditional" Eurocentric names. and people wonder why the rest of the world thinks we're so ignorant in the U.S.

sure, these posts are all in fun, but i think we should also be reminded of the assumptions about people's abilities and intelligence that go into our judgements based on their names. what's so "stupid" about spelling Kayci in that manner?

Wow, where to start. No one said it was 'stupid' nor did they make any assumptions about people with those names. If you have to be all serious on a jokey thread the real point is that a lot of people name their kids in unusual ways simply to be unique. That is very unfair on the kid for the reasons you point out; People judge them for it.

If a parent wants to be unique they should change their OWN name. I fail to believe that these unusual spellings and bizarre names are for any reason other than 'being different' for the sake of it.

Oh and I am NOT American, thank you very much.

lol...thank you. I'm NOT American either and agree with what you said.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I work in the education system and one of our secretaries actually has a list of names that we have come across! For example: Flame, Chardonnay, ****head, Imunique (pronounced I'm unique), Desire, Sparkle, Princess, Sky Blue, ... there are probably at least 50 names on the list and we keep adding more!

Someone named their kid ****head?!?! Seriously? lol
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    The geography teacher at my high school was Richard Moore. I don't think I need to spell out what we called him behind his back. :laugh:
  • Lissak1977
    Options
    Growing up there was a boy that lived across the street named Starter.....
  • Noahsmommy1
    Options
    I have a cousin named Keeley. She is married to a man named Ian so they named their son Keian. I think the mash up of names is great!!!
  • Treesy72
    Options
    Well first off I think unique names are beautiful as long as they aren't silly. My Mayor is named Nipper Kettle, I'm sure he's a great guy buy man what a silly name.

I named my kids
    Jenessa
    Blaze
    Shade
    I have a friend named Jade who named her son Onyx
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    that's why I waited to my kids were old enough to pick their name. This way they won't be saddled with one they don't like.

So far, my little Megatron and Shredder are doing just fine in life.
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    My mom went to school with a girl named Fonda d*cks. True story brah.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    A lady used to drop her kids off where I work and they were named (all girls), Spring, River, Lake and Ocean.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    A nurse I know in the baby ICU section had someone want to name her daughter "Etoh" because she saw it on her chart and it "sounded pretty"

ETOH is a medical code used to indicate that the mother was intoxicated when she came in to deliver :noway:
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Actual people I have KNOWN, not just ones you see on the net all the time.
    Bambi Fawn
    Scarlet Teats
    di-ck petit

My oldest daughter is named Rio. I'm sure people think that is a freak name--and yes, she is named after the Duran Duran song.
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Went to school with Snow White. Poor girl. My brother was in her cousins class and HIS name was also Snow.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Twighla
    Axel
    Soley
    Mellienua
    Cruella
    Zelda
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Willy Google - former boss
    Notorious X - unfortunate child
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I went to school with a girl named Crystal D!ck. I *kitten* you not.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I work in a clinic and see funny names all of the time!
    -La-a (pronounced Ladasha)
    -Dominickel
    -Buddyray
    -Keylawn
    -Luscious (not Loo-shis, LAshis)
    -****head (Shatheed)
    -Orangejello and Lemonjello (sibs)

My dad worked at the hospital where Orangejello and Lemonjello were born! AHAHAHA. Small world.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Went to school with a girl named Candy Cane.

WOW, so did I!!! It was in Corpus Christi, TX
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    La-ah pronouced La-dash-ah

And I work in a city called Oshawa, where there are at least 3 Joshawas in my school alone.

Oh, and I once taught a kid named T.J. 'cause that's all his momma could spell.
    i had a pt named la-ah
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    went to school with Tremendous.. and yes she was about 100lbs overweight.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Okay, so am I the only person who hears the name someone gave their child or you meet someone and they tell you their name and you wonder, what is the parent/s thinking??

case in point: a girl I went to uni with. (in the USA). her name was Abcde (pronounced ab-sa-dee). really??? I mean, come on!

anyone else hear any crazy names that just made you scratch your head in disbelief?

i named my son kai harrison blair and got some nasy comments on it but i think its a nice name =/