Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options

Replies

• 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options
    pettmy, I found some of the coconut milk creamer. Tasty. A little expensive, not very sweet - I bought the plain version because of the sugar in the french vanilla. I like it! Thanks. I love finding new good stuff. wait.gif

Perhaps all the sugar in the french vanilla is why I find that I don't need to add sugar to my coffee anymore. I didn't even look at the sugars in it, to tell the truth. I was just happy to find something that seemed "real" to me.

Viv, congrats on getting just the latte. I remember when I was trying to lose weight before DH's and my wedding, I gave up sweets, and once a week, on our marriage lesson day (we're catholic and had to go to premarriage counseling), we would get a Snickers Mocha. It was definitely our sweet treat for the week!

Lori, built in quantity control is a good thing!

Built in quanity control is awesome. Plus those little ice cream cones are 49 cents here, really, how can you go wrong? ALTHOUGH.... darn McDonalds now does chocolate dipped ones. DS had one and I wanted to steal it from his 12 year old paws.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    tough sugary couple of days-- chocolate fondue for the Super Bowl-- leftovers today. Not so much today ingested, but more than I should have yesterday--

Plus today's Joshie's 4th birthday, so I had some birthday cake.

I hate birthday parties-- whose idea was this anyway? And why throw a party for the kid? Like they had anything to do with being born? Why not throw a party for the mom? I'm the one who spent hours in labor, and pushed 9 watermelons out a hole the size of a grapefruit. Why do they get the recognition?

By my calculations, I should have 9 parties a year thrown in my honor--

But, I digress-- ahem--

Sugar is not my friend.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I thought stevia doesn't raise your glucose levels, why is it on the verboten list?
    Thanks, K.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    I'm the one who spent hours in labor, and pushed 9 watermelons out a hole the size of a grapefruit. Why do they get the recognition?

buah ha. TMI Marla. That is so true. Yeah, guess what, we were all born. I stopped having b'day parties long ago.

It's been a sugary week for us all. Se la vie. I blame lack of exercise and too much exercise OR stopping alcohol. In the scheme of things, I'd rather stay off the tookillya than the sugar. Silver lining.
    I have a question. I thought stevia doesn't raise your glucose levels, why is it on the verboten list?
    Thanks, K.

K, I thought that too! So I did some further checking. I think that the previous link at acu cell is incorrect. I'm not sure, but the other health sites I've checked seem to all recommend Stevia as a safe alternative for diabetics. It does have calories, but at such a high dose that you would never use that much in a day! Check around. I think you are right. I didn't like that either!

Thanks for bringing that up. I had thought more people would trip over that......
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Thanks to Cheryl, I have found my way back to the sugar is not your friend link. (Thanks!)

Sugar is NOT my friend, but thinks it is my best friend.... it's annoying, and I want it to go away. It is clear that my body does not do "moderation" because for me when it comes to sugar it is all, or nothing (refilling the candy jar at work today, one Hershey special dark led to a 900 calorie straight sugar binge). My question is, in order to be successful at this, do you know if it's necessary to cut out the healthy things that have sugar as well (I've noticed that you mention milk, for instance)?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Thanks to Cheryl, I have found my way back to the sugar is not your friend link. (Thanks!)

Sugar is NOT my friend, but thinks it is my best friend.... it's annoying, and I want it to go away. It is clear that my body does not do "moderation" because for me when it comes to sugar it is all, or nothing (refilling the candy jar at work today, one Hershey special dark led to a 900 calorie straight sugar binge). My question is, in order to be successful at this, do you know if it's necessary to cut out the healthy things that have sugar as well (I've noticed that you mention milk, for instance)?

Hi! The general consensus on the health websites is that you can't eliminate all sugars from natural sources and still maintain good nutrition.

Labels don't differentiate between natural sugars and added sugars. I try to not eat much processed food. I've gotten better about the binge or nothing behavior, but only after pretty much eliminating refined sugars from my diet for a long time.

I don't buy sugar to have around the house. Recently I've had a few treats, and it didn't "set me off"- but I'm not going to make it an every day occurance. I, too, used to go into a 900 calorie straight sugar binge. Work was difficult for me, too, since I also had a candy jar at the front desk and there were always unhealthy treats for us in the break room. Next job, I'm going to make sure there isn't a ready supply of sugar at my fingertips.

Be strong. Don't do that next time. Good luck!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Still doing pretty well. Having a fruit smoothie to alleviate the gelato monster craving. (stress involving my mom. . .just trust me, I'm a saint for not climbing all the way into the back of the ice-cream freezer at the grocery store and eating my way out.)

Still strong. I've lost count how many days it's been. I think nine.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    correction: zero days since I last used.

Dang. Dessert got me.

Breathing deeply and starting again.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Dang. Dessert got me.

Well, yeah, it rather got me, too-- but good news, bad news here-- sorta--

Bad news is dessert got me-- good news is it's all I had for dinner-- or is that also bad news?

I'm confused.

Either way-- I had leftover birthday cake for dinner-- and then ran 3.5 miles.

Thankfully it's all gone now-- no more temptation. :ohwell:
  • cmriverside
    Options

Dang. Dessert got me.

But you went to ZUMBA and Yoga yesterday? I say .......breathe deeply and start again. Oh. That's what you said.

At least you didn't bring home a half gallon, didja? V is for Victory, I say.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Just checking in--been doing good with sugar so I'm not popping in for confession as much.

One of the ladies here on a yoga retreat baked some cookies (dairy-free chocolate chip & rasin, I think) and they were out with lunch today. Had one small one, because they looked so good, and I've been busting my butt all week massaging these yoga retreaters. I enjoyed it (ate it slowly, too, instead of inhaling it) but didn't feel the need to lather, rinse, repeat.

Perhaps moderation is possible for me? I dunno. Feels like a decent sized first step.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I have been free from sweets since around 3 yesterday. See, it's easy when I'm at home...there aren't any sweets in the house so I have to make them if I want them -or in today's case...drive through the snow to find a place that's open and still has anything. Let's see if I can do this when I go back to work.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options

Dang. Dessert got me.

But you went to ZUMBA and Yoga yesterday? I say .......breathe deeply and start again. Oh. That's what you said.

thanks for that. I had a small gelato but it was dessert for a meal consisting of pizza and red wine. Total dietary restriction fail. . .and I'm paying for the wheat that pizza contained today, big time.

I just hate that it felt like I medicated bad feelings with food. But, it was A: eating and not bingeing and B: a lapse, not a relapse.

Breathe. Start over. Go to boxing and buy more chicken breast and forgive yourself. And that's how I roll.:tongue:
  • 72lori
    Options

Dang. Dessert got me.

thanks for that. I had a small gelato but it was dessert for a meal consisting of pizza and red wine. Total dietary restriction fail. . .and I'm paying for the wheat that pizza contained today, big time.

I just hate that it felt like I medicated bad feelings with food. But, it was A: eating and not bingeing and B: a lapse, not a relapse.

Breathe. Start over. Go to boxing and buy more chicken breast and forgive yourself. And that's how I roll.:tongue:

I would LOVE boxing, I wish it was offered at my gym. I think it's something I could really dig. The idea of punching stuff is appealing.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options

Dang. Dessert got me.

I would LOVE boxing, I wish it was offered at my gym. I think it's something I could really dig. The idea of punching stuff is appealing.

It is 120% awesome! And, frankly, it's way more fun with my trainer than in the class. (I have a super-cool barter deal with my trainer, which is the only way I can afford her). It might be worth it to check around in your area (like the Y and such). It's the same calorie burn as spinning for me, and the upper body workout is intense!

Also, it is more effective than years of therapy.:tongue: It takes just enough concentration to take up my entire brain, so it short of shuts off all the stress/anxiety/crap going on. If I thought my body could take it, I'd do it every day.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I'd be happier to actually punch the person who pi$$ed me off. smacktalk.gif

Stupid violence laws.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I'd be happier to actually punch the person who pi$$ed me off. smacktalk.gif

Stupid violence laws.

stupid jail time.

I'm getting reeeeealllllly good at visualization, I'll tell you that much.:tongue:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I made it through yet another day snowed in at home without baking any goodies. Thank goodness.
  • 72lori
    Options
    I made it through yet another day snowed in at home without baking any goodies. Thank goodness.

I didn't have snow and still made brownies and ate one... with a scoop of ice cream. :ohwell: Honestly, it was freaking awesome! :bigsmile: I wanted to lick my plate.

Of course my heart is racing now from the sugar shock... but whatever. Did I mention it was gooooood? :laugh:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Calling in sick from work today. I worked out yesterday, but barely made it through. I was in bed before 8, and only got up this morning, because of the kids. Am going back to bed soon, since DH left to take everyone to school. Doing ok with my sugar shun. Am going to try a couple of recipies later, black bean brownies again (tweaking), and a sugar free breakfast cookie that I snagged the recipe on the message board here.

The oldest made the varsity swim team for finals (yeah!) for the the 50 free. The coach told the team he wanted them on a caffeine free, sugar free diet for the next two weeks until finals. Doesn't affect my son too much-- the only real sugar he gets is on his cereal in the morning (they do get the sugar cereals) and the one cup of coffee he drinks each morning. Anyways, he thinks it would be funny if I were to make the brownies, and he will be eating one right when the coach walks in for practice... And I'm hoping the breakfast cookie might pass muster, since he's complaining about the flavor of sugar free cereals. Then again, he doesn't care for bananas, and since there's 3 in the recipe, he might hate them too... lol Gotta try though.

Hope you all have a good day. Imma goin' back to bed.