Got really mad at the supermarket today

Options

Replies

• Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Yep it's a problem, us being a Fat:ohwell: nation, the First Lady took on that issue yesterday....wonder if anyone is listening or if it will make a difference.

Laura:smile:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I don't think that how much activity they get is up to them. Children are little sponges, and they follow by example. If mom is sitting on the futon eating chips and watching TV that is what her kids are doing. Life skills are learned. Eating as well as exercise is also learned. Have you ever seen an obese 3 year old who's mother is fit and at prime weight? I haven't.

That's my point. If you had a school-house rock style clip mixed in with every two cartoons a child watches on a Saturday morning that was designed to get the kid up and moving, that kid gets in the habit of being active. Childhood obesity is a complex issue but I think mmtiernan was onto something good about ways to chip away at contributing factors.

And I have to agree with Rose, healthy parent does not equal healthy child. My mother has always been slender - she lost her pregnancy weight before she even returned from maternity leave. But I have always been overweight. Part of it's that I take after my dad, and have a much larger frame than my mother, and part of it is also her own complicated issues.
  • becabunny
    Options
    I completely share this anger with you. The office I worked at over the summer had several women of different health backgrounds. One with thyroid cancer (who snacks on junk all day), one who was thinning out but but eating nothing but "diet" granola bars and diet coke, and another who was obese and insulin dependent who always has a soda or cheetos in hand All of these women criticized our CFO for monitoring his childrens' food and choosing organic when possible. I was infuriated. Don't they realize that feeding their children, and themselves, all of this over processed crap is what has led them to this place to begin with? I couldn't believe how narrow minded they were. I eat organic dairy products at the very least to limit hormone intake since I have fatigue issues as well as ovarian cysts. What goes in is fuel for you body, if you put in crap, well what do you expect. At our winter party I saw the daughter of the insulin dependent diabetic was severely over weight for a 5 year old and I felt so sad for her because she isn't in control of the grocery cart. Parents are supposed to look out for their childrens' wellbeing, and that includes what goes in their mouths.
  • becabunny
    Options
    There is a junk food tax in process or implemented already. It is a nasty cycle of overweight people in lower economic status, who happen to have more medical issues, yet they can only afford the over processed cheap stuff. I'm a college student and I plan my groceries so that I can make the healthy stuff fit in my limited budget.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."– Maya Angelou

lovely quote! I agree, of course when I go shopping I NEVER buy the full fat ice-cream always 1/2 fat if I do buy ice cream. I'm not much of a snacker try to get full off meals.

I just looked up the calories for Kraft Mac & Cheese and Spaghettios, they are not that bad, just about 250-280 for a meal which is good, in my opinion.

Also, it's not polite to judge.

For what I know about nutrition, it is not so much about the calories in the food, but the content of it...................Kraft Mac and Cheese and Spaghettios are nothing but chemicals, preservatives and empty, nutritionally void carbs.

Do you know how much veggies and fruit and protein that child could eat and stay full on 250-280 calories??? Quite a bit.

I whole heartedly agree with SHBoss regarding these comments and I feel the US needs to start doing like Canada and European countries do and start taking children out of the homes for child endangerment and child neglect.

Growing up my mom did not allow us to have soda, chips, candy, cookies, cakes, etc...............unless it was a very special occasion and then we were allowed a VERY small portion.

We ate full fat bacon, sausage, pork, beef, chicken, eggs, cheese, WHOLE milk (straight from the cow), lots of fresh fruit and veggies, raw nuts.................

We hardly ever ate bread, crackers, etc.............

I got away from eating like this and I am back on the low carb band wagon. Growing up I didn't even know we were eating a controlled carb meal. I just knew we were eating everything all natural, unprocessed and most things came straight from the farm.
  • pamela1971
    Options
    Cool! Thanks for the tip. Do you think that'll work for eggplant, too?
  • pamela1971
    Options
    SHBoss1673 ~ how do you make spaghetti squash in 15 mins? Please tell me! I love that stuff but it takes me like an hour to bake it. I'm new here so if you could contact me directly with your reply I'd appreciate it, since I don't know if I will see your reply here. But if that's not possible, no worries! :)

thx

cut it in half, put about 1/2 an inch of water in the bottom of a microwave dish, and microwave it for about 8 to 12 minutes. Comes out the same as if you bake it.

Cool! Do you think it would work with eggplant?
  • sineadmm
    sineadmm Posts: 190
    Options
    I can't stand people that feed their already overweight children, junkfood. :explode:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It is easy to look at someone else and judge them based on a single observation, or to make moral judgments in the abstract, based on information that may or may not be accurate and on a wide range of emotions and biases.

The vast majority of people--including the vast majority of people on MFP--have little or no formal nutritional education or training. Our knowledge about nutrition comes from a variety of sources--and the quality of those sources ranges from excellent to horrific. From comments I have read, there seems to be a notion among many people that there is a universal consensus on what constitutes "healthy" eating, and that those consensus guidelines are not only simple and obvious, but readily available. In the general public, people who consider themselves "knowledgeable" will proceed to make statements about the "benefits" of eating practices such as "low carb" and "organic" as though these were accepted "truths", when in fact there is considerable controversy as to whether they are beneficial at all.

Heck, just look at the nonsense about protein that is spewed out on these forums on an almost continuous basis.

Even setting national nutritional guidelines is not that simple. Even if they were based solely on science, there is not universal agreement on the science, and, they are almost never based solely on science. Setting national nutritional guidelines is as much about politics as it is anything else--and by "politics", I mean in the larger sense of a dispute about ideas, not just between political parties. Lobbyists for various interest groups--across the ideological spectrum--play a large role in how consensus guidelines are developed.

Then, when you have some guidelines, like the USDA pyramid type stuff, getting that information out is a huge task in itself. Food companies spend literally Billions of dollars and use some of the most sophisticated market research and advertising methods ever invented to sell their products. The average person faces a bewildering array of choices in the grocery store and even many people who consider themselves knowledgeable and educated have difficulty making good food choices. How is the average person supposed to know that most of the "lo-cal", "low-fat", "lean cuisine", "healthy" type foods in the store are pretty crappy and filled with sugar, sodium and an encyclopedia full of chemicals?

Other people have mentioned the social and financial components. Many urban areas in this country are considered "food deserts" in which fresh fruits and vegetables are not readily available. Someone already mentioned that eating healthy can be relatively expensive--it is a LOT cheaper to eat off the Dollar Menu at McDonalds than it is to prepare nutritious meals made from healthy ingredients. And lest we think the bad choices are restricted to the poor and uneducated, some of the greatest resistance to introducing healthy foods in schools comes from parents in wealthy school districts. And don't even get me started on the people who think they are superior because they shop at places like Whole Foods.

Bottom line, it's a complicated issue with no easy solutions--and I haven't even touched on the psychological issues. My opinion is that, while I understand the emotional responses and am not above having them myself, I would ask people to step back, take a larger view, have some empathy, and not rush to judgment when you see someone doing something you disagree with.

Chances are, they are looking at you and thinking the same thing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree that a complete lack of education on nutrition is largely to blame and I know that it's already been discussed about it being a subject in schools, but my question is that if the First Lady and the national health organizations are so concerned with it, then why aren't we seeing a huge nationwide educational effort being made?

I can only repeat that the amount of $$$ that government health agencies have to promote healthy eating is only a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the dollars that food manufacturers have to promote and market junk foods. And only a small fraction of what diet/supplement/exercise/informercial hucksters have to promote their products.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Proper nutrional education is not offered to the poor. I have seen classes offered, but they are not made known to the public. And those classes are not truly about proper nutrition. I've taken them, they involve boxed foods, canned veggies, etc. If you were to go to a local food bank for food, thats exactly what you would get. Most people who are poor enough to need food stamps do not have a reliable internet/cable access to learn the way we have. They also are most likely more concerend with keeping the heat and lights on than if the Kraft Mac n' Cheese is a poor choice.

I think that in order to get food stamps, you should have to take a nutrition and budgeting class. Most people on food stamps have kids on medicaid and medicaid pays for you to see a dietician. That is a benefit that no child should miss out on. It would save so much money in the long run, for both the family and the tax payers.

JMO
    Holly
    Ok, I'm only halfway through this thread but I had to comment on a few things you wrote. I work with low income families - they have to be under the federal poverty guidelines to qualify. Anyway, there are a lot of free nutrition classes offered - our program has a nutritionist that will meet with families 1-on-1 for FREE and work with them as much as needed. Guess what? Nobody wants to. It's not that the information isn't there or the people are not there - they are not willing to learn and change. Of course not everybody is like that but the vast majority that I've worked with it like that. And I totally disagree that people poor enough to be on food stamps don't have access to internet or cable - I go into homes and am always amazed at their choices - flat screen TV's, xbox 360, ps3, always have cell phones, etc. etc. All the while they are telling me that they can't pay their utility bill and it is getting shut off and wondering where to go for help. This is is a whole other topic though and I know there are a lot of factors at play but you can't just say that the education isn't offered. It's like a PP said - her insurance company won't cover it because 90% of the people won't even use it.

I totally agree with your last paragraph though. But for whatever reason, it is not connecting. I mean, I see parents forced to take parenting classes all the time because of custody issues and it doesn't actually benefit them, kwim?
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This thread reminded me of this pic I saw once lol :

20553_254093891722_502656722_3874655_4744217_n.jpg

I agree with a lot of what is being said, people do need educating on nutrition, but I don't really get angry at them if i see their carts full of all sorts of fatty stuff. I guess it's up to them at the end of the day!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I absolutely agree that a complete lack of education on nutrition is largely to blame and I know that it's already been discussed about it being a subject in schools, but my question is that if the First Lady and the national health organizations are so concerned with it, then why aren't we seeing a huge nationwide educational effort being made?

I can only repeat that the amount of $$$ that government health agencies have to promote healthy eating is only a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the dollars that food manufacturers have to promote and market junk foods. And only a small fraction of what diet/supplement/exercise/informercial hucksters have to promote their products.

I don't go by the guidelines that the government agencies put out and don't get me started on that stupid food pyramid put together by the USDA.

The FDA has the Big Pharma companies in their pocket and the USDA has the CRA (corn refiners of america) in their pocket........This way they can keep selling HFCS to the food manufacturers keeping us fat and sick so the Big Pharma and the CRA get richer and Americans get fatter and sicker...........

I rely on getting my own information from my own resources, not from the government as they don't have my best interest at heart.

And you mentioned that eating low carb or organic is controversial in having any benefits????

You tell me how eating a grilled chicken breast or a ribeye steak along with a serving of steamed broccoli and a salad is unhealthy? That is what eating low carb and probably organic is about.

You could not pay me any amount of money to eat beef, chicken, eggs, pork, or fish from a mainstream grocery store. I would rather starve to death than to eat food that comes from factory farming where the animals are fed way out of their natural habitat. Given grains they don't need to fatten them up and make them grow faster, given food meal that contains hormones, anti-biotics, etc..........my body does not need that crap in it.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    This thread reminded me of this pic I saw once lol :

20553_254093891722_502656722_3874655_4744217_n.jpg

I agree with a lot of what is being said, people do need educating on nutrition, but I don't really get angry at them if i see their carts full of all sorts of fatty stuff. I guess it's up to them at the end of the day!

That is disgusting, nothing but nutritionally void, overly processed and empty carbs. YUCK. It turns my stomach to even see that stuff, I can not imagine eating it!!!

Anyone can come into my house and peer into my freezer and refrigerator. I have no frozen, processed foods in it at all. I barely even buy any canned goods any longer.

I have to make frequent stops to the grocery to buy fresh veggies, fruits, raw nuts and greek yogurt and we are getting our meat and eggs from local farmers.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Proper nutrional education is not offered to the poor. I have seen classes offered, but they are not made known to the public. And those classes are not truly about proper nutrition. I've taken them, they involve boxed foods, canned veggies, etc. If you were to go to a local food bank for food, thats exactly what you would get. Most people who are poor enough to need food stamps do not have a reliable internet/cable access to learn the way we have. They also are most likely more concerend with keeping the heat and lights on than if the Kraft Mac n' Cheese is a poor choice.

I think that in order to get food stamps, you should have to take a nutrition and budgeting class. Most people on food stamps have kids on medicaid and medicaid pays for you to see a dietician. That is a benefit that no child should miss out on. It would save so much money in the long run, for both the family and the tax payers.

JMO
    Holly
    Ok, I'm only halfway through this thread but I had to comment on a few things you wrote. I work with low income families - they have to be under the federal poverty guidelines to qualify. Anyway, there are a lot of free nutrition classes offered - our program has a nutritionist that will meet with families 1-on-1 for FREE and work with them as much as needed. Guess what? Nobody wants to. It's not that the information isn't there or the people are not there - they are not willing to learn and change. Of course not everybody is like that but the vast majority that I've worked with it like that. And I totally disagree that people poor enough to be on food stamps don't have access to internet or cable - I go into homes and am always amazed at their choices - flat screen TV's, xbox 360, ps3, always have cell phones, etc. etc. All the while they are telling me that they can't pay their utility bill and it is getting shut off and wondering where to go for help. This is is a whole other topic though and I know there are a lot of factors at play but you can't just say that the education isn't offered. It's like a PP said - her insurance company won't cover it because 90% of the people won't even use it.

I totally agree with your last paragraph though. But for whatever reason, it is not connecting. I mean, I see parents forced to take parenting classes all the time because of custody issues and it doesn't actually benefit them, kwim?

Junipuni -

No one is making them attend a parenting, nutrition or budgeting class, so why would they sign up for something they don't have to sign up for????

From what I see, a lot of people on food stamps would rather spend their $$$$ on processed and quick, easy food than to spend it on foods they would actually have to spend some time preparing and cooking.

It is a shame the laziness this society has become. I had fallen victim to it, but NO more for me. I am no longer being lazy about it. If it needs to be done, then I am doing it. Making sure I have a clean house everyday, home cooked and nutritionally sound meals for me, hubby and our 2 dogs, exercise, etc....................

My whole mind set has changed as well as I believe that SHBoss mind set has changed also. That is why I commend him for creating this forum.

You will never succeed in keeping the weight off until you have a complete change in mind set. I firmly believe that.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    To quote another above me: "The government chooses to regulate items like gas and tobacco....maybe they should start regulating the s@%t on the grocery store shelves since obesity and poor health in this country are such an issue? "

The government does help regulate it...they support the handful of large food processors in America. They allow them to keep producing cheap corn products, unenriched wheat products, etc. in the effort to "feed the masses." They allow the meat companies to produce chickens in less time than they would naturally grow at so Tyson can put frozen chicken chunks in your frozen food aisles. Half of the upper FDA officials sit on boards or have been past board members of these large companies.

Trust me. They do regulate it. To the benefit of the large corporate conglomerates, not to the people of the country.

It is all about money at the end of the day.
    Big Corn and Ammonia washing meat companies make big bucks off of us and the government.
    And people with little to no money spend what little they have on processed food because it is CHEAP and feeds more with less.

(And yes. I am off topic)
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options

JMO
    Holly

Junipuni -

No one is making them attend a parenting, nutrition or budgeting class, so why would they sign up for something they don't have to sign up for????

From what I see, a lot of people on food stamps would rather spend their $$$$ on processed and quick, easy food than to spend it on foods they would actually have to spend some time preparing and cooking.

It is a shame the laziness this society has become. I had fallen victim to it, but NO more for me. I am no longer being lazy about it. If it needs to be done, then I am doing it. Making sure I have a clean house everyday, home cooked and nutritionally sound meals for me, hubby and our 2 dogs, exercise, etc....................

My whole mind set has changed as well as I believe that SHBoss mind set has changed also. That is why I commend him for creating this forum.

You will never succeed in keeping the weight off until you have a complete change in mind set. I firmly believe that.
    I don't disagree - I was responding to the comment that proper nutrition education is not offered to poor people and not made known to them.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Just continue to try to educate, one person at a time, and lead by example. Life is all about learning. I am sure that we are all not done with that!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Just continue to try to educate, one person at a time, and lead by example. Life is all about learning. I am sure that we are all not done with that!

So well spoken, I'm glad you added your thoughts!:flowerforyou:
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    but my logic is, if I'd be embarrassed by what I'm feeling my kids, then I shouldn't be feeding it to them.

Love that!