Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• cecirn1990
    Options
    Macaroni Grill chicken parmesan! OMG I had not eaten one of those work days where all hell breaks loose, and I thought myself lucky because the next meeting was catered by a vendor. I ate two pieces of that chicken and the next day checked out at MFP. suffice to say I will never eat at Macaroni Grill again in my life......same for CPK Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza even shared among three of us - the number of calories is horrific.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Coffee drinks!!! I barely need food if I can keep drinking sugary, creamy, coffee.
    Id skip the sugar, and get extra cream, and extra mocha syrup thinking I was being good, since pure sugar must be worse for you than the mocha syrup UMMM NO! Or Id be good and get milk instead of cream, except I need 3 times more milk than I need cream so not really smart there either.

And then eventually I brake down and have a donut hole or a munchkin ONE is about 80 cal!! WTH?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    MFP is a true education in food. I was most shocked to learn how much sodium was in bread.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    M&S mini pork pies, I had one during a lunch meeting and couldn't believe I'd consumed 200 calories in one bite :(
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sushi! I had no idea! Over 300 per roll and I used to easily polish off 3 plus tempura and a beer then pat myself on the back for not eating fast food.

This^^^. I used to eat sushi all the time and polish off a couple of large sakes with my husband. All that rice=so many carbs. Most of the fish is fine. I still eat sushi but now we get a sashimi appetizer or two and watch the rolls.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Before starting MFP, I had a routine of going to the Barnes and Noble cafe and getting coffee and a pastry -- in particular the Resee's peanut butter cup cookie. It's about 6 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. And yes, it's divine. But it has over 600 calories!! I was in shock. Needless to say, I still go get my coffee, but IF I get a pastry (and I usually don't), it's HALF of something -- typically a muffin.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Little Debbie Nutty Bars. Oh how I love thee. Oh how it is bullsh*t what those little buggers pack in for calories. Wrong. Just wrong.
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Nandos Appitisers! I went there for the first time yesterday and I planned ahead and checked out their menu on line
    To give credit - at least they had their nutritional info online so I knew what I was getting into.
    All of the starters - all of them - were more than I would normally allow for a main course meal
    No starter for me!
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The other day my son, had a 16 oz chocolate shake from McDonald's.
    710 calories
    21 g fat
    97 g sugar

Had no idea until we read the nutrient brochure how many calories/sugar were in it.
    The good news is that I sat and watched him drink it. (I didn't eat anything.) He couldn't finish the whole thing and he asked me if I wanted it, and I said no and I threw it away!! The before MFP me would have never done that!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Coffee drinks of any sort (mocha, caramel etc).. is there even coffee in there?
    Pop-Tarts - Strawberry Iced. shame.D@mn shame.
    Bananas - darn thing.. so much sugar and carbs
    Regular pasta and sauces - too many carbs
    Peanut Butter - shame! Love some PB&J..
    Mayo - pretty sure I could triple the calories on anything with the amount of mayo I was using. Gross.
    Yoplait Strawberry Yogurt - Greek yogurt with real fruit

Swaps:
    PB - PB2
    Mayo - Greek Yogurt
    Regular Yogurt - Greek
    Pasta, Rice - Shirataki noodles, egg noodles
    Bread - Lettuce (wrap)
    Cream Cheese - Laughing Cow or Greek Yogurt
    Deep Fried anything - faux fry baking with Panko or Pork Rinds
    Pizza - Cauliflower crust, corn tortilla, portabella cap
    Cake Mix with ingredients - Sugar Free cake mix made with Pumpkin only
    Coffee drinks - Coffee with skim milk and Splenda (splurge - sugar in the raw packet) and sugar free creamer
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I was shocked by how low calorie a big plate of home made chips is (thick cut fries, for the americans) just 375 calories, and big enough that you'd struggle to finish it. I lived on chips the last time I lost so much weight, then met my partner and he convinced me that mashed potato was healthier. I haven't weighed out how much margarine he puts in, but it is A LOT. I nearly freaked out when I realised the tiny amount on a sandwich was 160 calories. We used to go through three 1kg tubs a month. No wonder I put on weight!
  • UmmZinnira
    UmmZinnira Posts: 3 Member
    Options

And Pop-Tarts. Just ONE is 220 cals (and who doesn't eat both in the wrapper?)

I completely misread the label one day, and thought it was 100 calories per pop tart. Was pissed when I realized it was 200 each (for the unfrosted) after I ate both of them. :(
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    MFP is a true education in food. I was most shocked to learn how much sodium was in bread.

Ditto. When you realise how much healthy, filling food you can get for the same calories as processed food high in salt and sugar, it's a real eye opener.
  • Caroleann57
    Caroleann57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tim Hortons is in Michigan too! But I had a large Tim Hortons coffee with 1 cream and 3 equals the other day and was shocked when I recorded it. 70 calories!!!
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I know it's fast food and therefore will be high in calories, but before I started on MFP, I would think nothing of having a large big mac meal with one or two double cheeseburgers on the side! BAM! Over 2000 calories on one meal! That really shocked me. Also, there has been several times in the past where I've had a whole Dominos LARGE full house pizza to myself. Doing the maths: I think there were 10 slices x 268 cals per slice = 2680!! JEEZ! I have no excuses for why I got as big as I did. My idea of portions was non-existent, and after eating all that, I'd sit on my backside playing video games all evening. And to think, if I hadn't found this website, I would still be continuing at that pace! It's a very scary thought.

I'm glad to say that I now have a lot more control over my eating habits, and the thought of actually eating that much now seems totally laughable. I still enjoy pretty much everything I did before, but of course using the key of moderation and portion control. However, I don't much care for McDonalds anymore, which I suppose is a good thing really :smile:
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Little Debbie's Fall Brownies!!! Used to love them when I was a teenager - last night I discovered they're 270 cals!!!! For a tiny little brownie!!! Crazy! Needless to say, I didn't have one since it didn't even come close to fitting into my calories for the day. Maybe tonight after my run, though ;)
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    First day of my weight loss, I was still very green to this whole calorie counting thing. I wanted to start things off right, so I made 2 scrambled eggs, one piece of wheat bread toast, and washed it down with a big glass of orange juice. Color me surprised when my breakfast ended up at 600+ calories!

Granted, it actually was pretty healthy and contained a lot of good nutrients, but it blew my mind that something I thought was super healthy took up almost half my daily calories in one meal.

Also, I love the tips that have popped up now and again in this thread (like substituting sour cream with nonfat greek yogurt). Anyone else find substitutes for the things that had much higher calories than they expected? I would love to make a list.

One of my favorite substitutions is using homemade applesauce as a topping or a waffle or pancake instead of butter & syrup. IMO it tastes so much better. Not like I'm having pancakes & waffles on a regular basis...
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Tried to delete this post. Hmmm ???
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Picked up a food scale last week... Made a sammie this morning for work. Thought I would add a small amount of peanut butter as I was going to weigh it - over two hundred calories in peanut butter! 90 calories a tablespoon? Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

I recommend that everyone use a food scale. It's shocking how small portions are when you first start using one, but then it becomes empowering. I know how much I actually eat because I weigh everything or measure everything. If I log half a cup of anything, you should know that it was a half cup because I actually use my little measuring cups as spoons to serve with. I've lost weight much faster and easier since I started making sure my portions were exact.
  • DeckerDoll
    Options
    The veggie omelette from IHOP!!! Wtf do they put in that thing? Is it made out of an entire carton of eggs or something?