Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• SirKelsalot
    Options
    Wow - I'm gonna start diluting my OJ from now on. It'll be lower cal, and it'll last longer! Excellent considering I'm eating healthy on a tight budget!

I was horrified by the calories in Morrisons' Tin Miner Pasties. I love the things but each one clocks in at 750 cals. I told my Dad this, and he still ate two! I'll have one from time to time, but not very often now. Maybe if I exercise like an absolute champion that day. Thankfully they rarely have them in the shop anyway, so I'm safe :)
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Almonds or any nut really WHOA! Watch out!

Packed some almonds for work... weighed the little critters... 240 calories for 40g.

And Nutella... 100 calories per tablespoon! Make sure you give the measuring spoon a really good lick when you're done scooping!!
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I love big mac's but i would get filled with the fries but yum. I like McDonal's smoothie medium mango pineapple 240 not too bad when kids want their happy meal and play although kids are mad that french fries are less they don't eat there that much but you should have seen the look on their face when they saw the small amount of fries. I did order them a small frie each. Not too bad though
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    The veggie omelette from IHOP!!! Wtf do they put in that thing? Is it made out of an entire carton of eggs or something?

They actually add pancake batter to the eggs "to make it light & fluffy"
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Restaurant meal-size salads in general. I used to think I was being healthy ordering a salad when I ate out, but then discovered I was eating more than 1200 calories in the salad, when I could get a steak & veggies for under 700
  • mandyysue
    mandyysue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mozzarella sticks and theThai salad from California Pizza Kitchen
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Those premade muffins at the supermarket...470 cal for ONE! WTH :frown:
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The pumpkin muffin from Dunkin Donuts is 600 calories...makes me cry.
    [/quote]

You only count seventy-five percent of those calories... have you seen how much of the sucker is left stuck to the paper? And dragging the paper across your teeth out in public is oh so wrong...
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Orange Juice. Like liquid candy. Haven't drank it in a year...

I quit drinking it also, was shocked at how many calories were in a cup
    Ditto. I now am selective when I am going to have it.
  • bsuzanne88
    bsuzanne88 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Little Debbie's Fall Brownies!!! Used to love them when I was a teenager - last night I discovered they're 270 cals!!!! For a tiny little brownie!!! Crazy! Needless to say, I didn't have one since it didn't even come close to fitting into my calories for the day. Maybe tonight after my run, though ;)

My box at the house says 350. :ohwell:
    I used to eat them all the time but now they aren't that wonderful (for 350 calories)
    Why i have a box in my pantry. Party food of course! :happy:
  • bsuzanne88
    bsuzanne88 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The veggie omelette from IHOP!!! Wtf do they put in that thing? Is it made out of an entire carton of eggs or something?

They actually add pancake batter to the eggs "to make it light & fluffy"

Oh my GOSH! ew.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    A small bag of cashews came up to 480 calories. yowzers!!! im not having those anymore and i love cashews
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    A small bag of cashews came up to 480 calories. yowzers!!! im not having those anymore and i love cashews

Why not eat less? I'm sure you can have half the amount and still get the food you love.
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This has been happening to me a lot recently!

One of my roommates brought home a box of Cinnabons -- Usually I can't resist trying at least a little bite of something sweet if it's laying around the house, but I learned that a single roll is almost 900 calories! If it has pecans on it it's almost 1100! I literally couldn't even look at them anymore without feeling ill, haha. I couldn't help but think that even if I touched it with my fingertips and licked off the icing, I would be out 50 calories!

Another shocker recently was when I went to get a cup of frozen yogurt from a local shop... Well, usually I go to the places where you help yourself to soft serve, but this place just had a menu -- you could get strawberry (presumably with syrup?) or Reese's Pieces special cup, etc. etc. etc... And none of the small sized cups were under 650 calories! I was blown away. I had to walk out without any frozen yogurt. :)

Another housemate went for McDonald's the other day, and I was astounded by the calorie counts that were printed on all of the little boxes! But I guess we all knew about that. :)

Usually I can justify a small splurge if I think it will really be worth it, but some things are just crazy. I don't know how you can FIT that many calories into such a tiny and insubstantial morsel of food. And why would anybody make it and sell it to the public? Whether it tastes "good" or not, it just seems like there MUST be slightly healthier and just as tasty alternatives that could be standardized... No?
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Oh the Zensation salad from Zaxby's is like 1000 calories if you eat everything. it does include a piece of bread so maybe that's alot of it but I couldn't believe that. I'm like REALLY??? for a salad?? I'll still eat it again cuz it's sooo yummy but I'll have to eat it in portions.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    oh Oreo cookies. 2 cookies is 140 calories. Doesn't sound like much right but who only eats 2 cookies?
  • sunshineshica
    Options

Why not eat less? I'm sure you can have half the amount and still get the food you love.

I'm not gonna eat that specific bag anymore. But I do get the smaller bags that come out the vending machines at my job and those are around 180 or calories. I bought the other one from a convenient store. Thanks!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Anything from Applebees
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Orange Juice. Like liquid candy. Haven't drank it in a year...

I quit drinking it also, was shocked at how many calories were in a cup
    Ditto. I now am selective when I am going to have it.

I'm actually quite a big fan of orange juice, although I only go out to buy it occasionally. :) Even though it is a bummer so many of the calories come from sugar. I just make sure to have no more than a single serving, which is like a short glass full. It has an impressive amount of potassium and Vitamin C & etc. etc.!
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Marie Calendar's pot pies. I love them, but they're supposed to be 2 servings and high calories. Who only eats half the pot pie? I haven't had one in a year so I don't remember the calorie count, but it made me sick!

One pie has 630 cal, 36 fat ,1060 sodium. I gave them to my kids last night for dinner. They didn't like them and said my homemade pot pie was so much better.