Eat Healthy; Get Fit; Lose 100+ New Group 1st Weigh in Jan.

Options

Replies

• CONGRATS, Brandy and Katie!! That has to be hugely exciting getting into a new "decade"! I know it's exciting for me just watching your successes.

WELCOME, Brobwill/Bonnie! Nice to see another person in my age group.

How's everyone doing on the water? I didn't realize how much my body was craving water till I started drinking more. Bought one of those Britta water filter pitchers and that helps make me want to drink more-- tap water isn't too tasty here.

Back on Friday with weigh in, hoping to be below 300.

~Becca
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    Thanks guys I'm really excited, I love this group and have cut out all my other groups!!! Ok so the water challenge is going good I just always forget to log it on here, but whats going to be our challenge next week? I agree ever since I started drinking water my body "need:" it!!!!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    well- ltlhmom suggested we might take turns naming the challenge each week, which is fine by me.

since you asked, you want to name the next one? just get it posted by tomorrow, so everyone can start working on the new challenge when they check-in Friday morning.

-katie
  • Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    im not sure how many it is in oz, but i drink around two litres of water a day, which is a big increase for me. i use to only drink fizzy juice, now i've cut out the fizzy stuff altogether and feeling much better for it! :smile:

if its ok il keep posting my weight on sunday (just my routine sorry) good luck all for friday tho :smile:
  • jgrandison
    jgrandison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Jeania and I would love to join your group, I have been on since 1/23 and been reading different post, I know it will be better for me to be around positive people so I want to give this a shot. Thanks again for any help I can get:wink:
  • katielouhoo
    Options
    pinkchick- 64 oz converts to just under 1.9 liters.:drinker: does that help?

welcome Jeania- if you look back a few posts, i was explaining to Michelle what we are doing and when we weigh-in with this group. & yes, you can join us.

:flowerforyou: -katie
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    wow what could be a good challenge for use this week, well since I'm losing motivation and need to get it back what about trying to get in 45 minutes of exercise each day? Even on your off day just even going for a walk, I was doing 90 minutes a day but have slowed down a lot and need to get back into it. Or everyone could agree on a good amount of time but and "Exercise" challenge?

But also keeping up with the water we should all be drinking the water anyways!!!
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say HELLO! to everyone! Hope you all are having a fabulous week! Water is going great for me, I keep a full bottle with me at all times throughout the day! I love how the water glass in my food diary overflows each day:)
  • katielouhoo
    Options
    exercise is good. 45 minutes a day is ok with me.
    are there some of you that find the amount daunting? we want everyone to feel they have a good chance of success.

question----my exercise schedule is an hour a day 6 days a week with one day off
    so if we do an exercise challenge, can i count total minutes for the week, or do i need to add something in for day 7?

thanks brandy- katie
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I can commit to 30 mins a day for the challenge. 3 days a week I work out for about an hour, but on the off days it's only 30 mins.
  • jgrandison
    jgrandison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    Thanks Katie for the welcome here our my numbers
    sw 1/22/10 248.5
    1/27/10 241.8
    2/02/10 238.5
    cw 2/10/10 237.7
    I look forward to the challenge this week because that is one of my weekness, if I can get away with 20 mins with Jullian Michaels
    I swore I was doing something even thou I know I should add more somewhere along the line, so thank you Brandy for this.
    Have a great day everyone
  • KaeChelle
    Options
    I'll be honest, I haven't done so great the last 2 weeks. I've been eating more than I should, and I haven't been exercising. I haven't gotten the water challenge down yet, but I am going to keep working on it. Just finished 20 oz and it's only 8:30 am, so maybe I'll make it today! As for exercise, my goal is to do SOMETHING every day. I honestly don't know about the 45 minutes a day though, but I will do my best. Thanks everyone for sharing your success and even your struggles. It is good to have a group to be accountable to.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Becca- i highly recommend the baked vegetarian chimichangas found on this site (just use the search)
    excellent, and i have served them to guests too.

Hey guys. I just wanted to say that I looked up the chimichanga recipe here & was planning to make it for dinner tonight. I was entering all the ingredients into my recipe calculator and discovered the calorie AND the sodium count is WAY OFF from what is posted on recipezaar.com for the recipe. Just thought I'd warn you. I, in no way, can account for the huge difference based on the recipe ingredients.

In my recipe calculation, I left out a can of beans, the avocado, the salsa, half of the cheese, used reduced sodium black beans & the lowest sodium refried beans I could find and the flour burritos with the lowest calorie content I could find at my grocery store. Yet, for 8 servings I still come up with this nutrition:
    Calories 404.0
    Total Fat 8.1 g
    Saturated Fat 3.8 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.1 g
    Cholesterol 11.3 mg
    Sodium 899.2 mg
    Potassium 594.4 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 66.8 g
    Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
    Sugars 2.9 g
    Protein 18.4 g

Now I can live with 404 calories for 1 chimichanga but you have to keep in mind the fact that I'm leaving out a signficiant amount of ingredients that were called for in the recipe AND it also doesn't include any garnishes (salsa, sour cream, avocado, cheese). If you follwed the recipe exactly, you could easily end up with 1 chimichanga being 700 or 800 calories with 2000mg sodium. That' 500 or 600 calories more & 1500mg sodium more than posted for the original recipe on recipezaar, so I just wanted to warn everyone to be aware. :wink:

These are the ingredients used to get the above nutrition info, split into 8 servings:
    Onion - Yellow - 1 Cup, 1 serving
    Fresh Garlic (1 clove = 3g), 18 gram(s)
    Baby Bella Mushroom (Dole), 2 serving (1 cup)
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil, .67 tbsp
    Ortega diced green chilies (7oz), 1 serving
    Kroger vegetarian refried beans, 1.8 cup
    Brown Rice, long grain, 2 cup
    Chili powder, 1 tsp
    Cumin seed, 2 tsp
    Breakstones sour cream (regular) (2tbs = 1 serving), 3 tbsp
    Bushs Best Black Beans Reduced Sodium (1 can), 1 serving
    Kraft 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese, 3 oz (about 3/4 cup)
    Ole Burrito Grande Flour Tortilla, 8 serving

This is a breakdown of the calories per serving so you can see where to cut back further if you want:
    173 calories of Ole Burrito Grande Flour Tortilla, (1 serving)
    60 calories of beans, Kroger Vegetarian Refried Beans, (0.23 cup)
    54 calories of Brown Rice, long grain, (0.25 cup)
    41 calories of Bushs Best Black Beans Reduced Sodium (1 can), (0.13 serving)
    34 calories of Kraft 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese, (0.38 oz)
    11 calories of Breakstones sour cream (regular) (2tbs = 1 serving), (0.38 tbsp)
    10 calories of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, (0.08 tbsp)
    8 calories of Onion - Yellow - 64Cal/1-Cup, (0.13 serving)
    5 calories of Ortega diced green chilies (7oz), (0.13 serving)
    5 calories of Baby Bella Mushroom (Dole), (0.25 serving)
    3 calories of Fresh Garlic (1 clove = 3g), (2.25 gram(s))
    2 calories of Cumin seed, (0.25 tsp)
    1 calories of Chili powder, (0.13 tsp)

I'm making them anyway and will add some boneless skinless chicken breast to up the protein amount which will take me to about 450 calories each before garnish. I may also try cutting the rice down to 1 cup instead of 2 and halve the amount of refried beans to help with both calories & sodium.
    As you can see, I saved 75 calories per serving just leaving out 1 can of the beans and half of the cheese. Probably another 30 by leaving out the avocado. And probably *at least* 500mg sodium leaving out the salsa and extra salt (assuming I used jarred salsa).

I'm just irritated by irresponsible websites that lead folks to believe a recipe is a whole lot healthier than it really is. I know the nutrition info posted on recipezaar says it leaves out the black soybeans & refried beans, but that still doesn't even come close to accounting for how incredibly inaccurately low the sodium & calories are on that website. I'm super glad I take the time to calculate the nutrition in recipes myself so that I actually know what I'm eating instead of relying on nutrition info posted on a website.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I was kind of appalled when I discovered this.
  • leshawnturner
    Options
    Hello!!
    I'm all for an exercise challenge. I am really struggling in that area right now. I've been off the exercise wagon for a couple of months now and I'm trying to get back on. I did workout yesterday but I didn't do my p90x I did a dance workout (Bollywood). It was fun!! I'm going to do a bootcamp workout for 30 mins today and then on Fri (since the new challenge starts that day)I'll start my p90x. Congrats to all who are having success on this journey and to those of us that aren't having as much success as we'd like DON'T GIVE UP!!! It's really hard to change your life but I know it will happen one day and one change at a time. :bigsmile: :blushing:
  • thicansxy
    Options
    I know I am a day early but I moved and dont have internet yet. Borrowing parents computer to jump on here. I weighed in at 291.5 I had to use her scale so I dont know if its comparable to mine. Since she said she does know its 3 pounds heavy. So it said 294.5 and -3 pounds cause yea I freaked out . Hopefully everything will be up and running soon.
  • jenmonkee
    Options
    Hi there, I know I am joining a little late, but it's great to read about others who are in the same position I am in. I started my journey on Dec. 30th 2009, with a goal of 100. 6 weeks later I have lost 16 lbs!! This is all due to watching my food intake and exercising religiously every day. I can fall off the wagon very easily if I don't keep a routine and so far it is working. I am terrified of failing, but this time I am motivated and have a clear plan to help me along the way. I can't wait to get to know everyone.

Jen
  • Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    yeah katie that helps atleast i know im keeping up with everyone - with regards to my water anyway lol i didnt have a clue when everyone was talkin oz, thanks

as for the excercise i try to do 30 min a day (but im just walking the dog alot more ) and i go swimming once a week, does that sound ok so far? im easing into the exercise thing but im going to the gym next week for the first time so wish me luck!
  • katielouhoo
    Options
    brandy-
    sounds like 30 min a day will work better for most.

we need to be challenged, but we want the challenge to be something most folks can be successful doing.
    certainly we should be encouraged to get more than the minimum minutes (just like trying to get more than the minimum of water everyday)
    but if it is ok with you, let's set the amount of exercise at 30 minutes a day for our challenge this week.

what do you think? katie
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I'm up for the exercise challenge! I haven't started really exercising yet as I'm focusing on eating my calories and drinking my water. So this will be a challenge for me 30 minutes a day!

Welcome to all the ladies who have joined us!

I have been hungry this week not sure way. =(

I think it would be really awesome if I lost 3.4 lbs tomorrow but don't think it will happen. But can't wait to say I have lost 30 lbs!
    Be back bright and early in the AM! Hugs :bigsmile:

Laura
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    Alright that sounds great :)
    30 minutes minimum of exercise this week!!!!!!
    Excited about the weigh in tomorrow
    see you all then!!!!