Replies

• talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My name is Talal! and I'm freaking in love with my name :D
  • missalissa772001
    missalissa772001 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My name is Melissa........ Its ok just think its a little plain.... could be worse i guess lol
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    oh and nothing is more annoying then when people say "JENNA JAMESON!" after i introduce myself. congratulations, d-bag, you are the 9,000th person to say that. >:(

I can imagine that is very annoying :) I'm Jennie, and from the south... so you can imagine how many Forrest Gump jokes I get upon introduction :D

surprisingly, i get this as well. i'm sure it happens to you pretty much every day though. lol, poor thing!
    my name is jenna...i'm on the fence about it. i wish i had a more unique name. oh and nothing is more annoying then when people say "JENNA JAMESON!" after i introduce myself. congratulations, d-bag, you are the 9,000th person to say that. >:(

If it makes you feel better, when I hear the name Jenna, I think of the movie "13 Going on 30". :)

i love that movie!!!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Mine is Katherine.
    I always disliked how common it is. Still do. I would have loved a unique name like Sheriden, Kerrigan, or perhaps something a bit more creative.
    Still, I wear my name well. It comes from the greek word for purity, which is a character trait that nearly everyone who meets me automatically assigns (goody-two-shoes, little lady, always polite and conscientious) although lately I've started to evolve outside of my namesake. Close friends have also taken to calling me Kat, which suits me fine.
    Still, must it be so COMMON?
  • daloverlyme
    daloverlyme Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    OMG I use to hate my name. People always use to tell me this wasn't my month, every month. I also get asked where May and June are, grrrrr. The worst part was finding out my father named me after a crush he had in school. My mother never realized this and was pretty annoyed by that. Now? It isn't so bad. April isnt the prettiest name, but it isn't the worst, either. My mom liked the name Muffy, so I guess I got lucky!
  • gracieabem
    Options
    Emily. I love it. It's traditional, but beautiful. It's common, but I think it can get away with it because it's so timeless.

My parents couldn't decide between Emily and Emma, so they went with Emily but I am known as Emma (never Emily) by my family.

Professionally I am known as Emily. Friends call me Em or Emily.
  • HappyandToned
    HappyandToned Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    my name is jenna...i'm on the fence about it. i wish i had a more unique name. oh and nothing is more annoying then when people say "JENNA JAMESON!" after i introduce myself. congratulations, d-bag, you are the 9,000th person to say that. >:(

I actually thought of Jenna on that MTV show, 'Awkward'. :)
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I hated mine to start with, pretty much through my school and early adolescent years. My name is Clark and I am named after Clark Gable but obviously everyone thinks I am named after the man of steel with being born pretty much the same time as the first movie came out. As I have grown up though I realize my name has given me a lot and I like it more and more. Where before it was a weakness now it is more of a strength for me :happy:
  • HappyandToned
    HappyandToned Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My name's Ana.

It's pronounced "Ah-nah", but spelled "Anna" on my birth certificate. I changed the spelling to "Ana", so that people would stop calling me "Anna", which I can't stand!
  • shelagh50
    shelagh50 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I hate mine because every time I have to tell people it I have to spell it out for them!!! Its Shelagh and it just makes things complicated, and sometimes people shorten it to SHE which I hate even more!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like the shortened version of my name - Jen. It feels just right for me. The full name just never felt right. No one ever called me Jen until college. I instantly loved it and now that's what pretty much everyone calls me. :smile:
  • annduong
    Options
    Not really - Ann just feels plain and boring. I wish it was just a short-name to Anastasia or something beautiful and long.
  • mrtoaster
    mrtoaster Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My name is Philip (with one l people)

To be honest I find it a bit dull and Phil isn't much better. When my nieces were learning to talk they called me Fuul and that became my nickname within the family. I'm also sometimes called Murty by my friends (as an abbreviation of my surname)
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My full first name is Celina, although on MFP I go by "Lina", and I'm debating going by the latter professionally for certain reasons (not out of dislike for my name, though. Not really).

I like my name, now, but as a child I was very frustrated by how many people, including extended family, would misspell my name. I also absolutely loathed the frequent question, upon introduction, that was "Oh... like Celine Dion??" No, smartasses... it isn't like Celine Dion. My name has an "a" at the end, not an "e". It's a different name! Further in this theme, I would sometimes get a "So, can you sing like her, too?" Yup, really original, people. In the 2nd grade, I was so fed up that one day I insisted on everyone addressing me by my middle name. My mom got wind of that pretty quick, and it bothered her, so I went back to my first name.

Nowadays, I still get the misspellings at times... so usually when someone asks for my name, I say it and then immediately recite the spelling. My extended family has, for the most part, learned how to spell it; I think I have Facebook to thank for that, actually. Some people who "meet" me over the phone first (I've worked customer service/reception/etc) are surprised to meet me in person and find that I'm not of some Mediterranean origin. Nope... Dutch/Danish. On a related note, I have recently discovered that my surname spelling was altered when my dad's family came from Denmark to North America, making my name match my ethnic identity even less. I'm also considering changing the spelling back at some point, even if not legally, in my professional life.
    My name is Corinne and I think it suits me. I hate that I have to correct people on pronunciation and spelling. *rolls eyes*

I absolutely love this name. I know there are a couple of variations in pronunciation for it. How do you pronounce yours? I have actually had this picked out as a middle name for my first daughter (whenever I have one) for some time, with the "ko-RIHN" pronunciation. First name would be Audrey, after my grandmother. "Audrey Corinne". I think it flows nicely, without being a "filler" middle name (I got a filler middle name. It flows nicely, too... it's just so bloody common!) My apologies to my future partner, but I'm pretty adamant about this name combination!
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My name is Kim.
    I don't mind it, it's just a little... boring.

My parents wanted something that is pronounced the same in most languages because I'm half Welsh and half Dutch, but raised in the Netherlands.
    They were going to call me Rachel but they decided against it because Rachel is often pronounced 'Rachelle' in Dutch, which they didn't like.

People always assume Kim is short for Kimberley though, which I hate!! I have nothing against the name Kimberley, it's just not my name! :p
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am Claire, I hate it, I hate having only one syllable, and hate that no-one can every spell it. I do however like that when I go abroad people can say it, unlike my husband Richard and my mum Heather..In France and Germany they really struggle with those.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I have always loved my name (Heather). I think it's romantic, especially when men say it. Although when people call me "Heath", not so much :D

Also really like some of the names in this thread! Especially Laura, Emily, and Daniel.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm Emma....even worse I'm Emma Louise!
    In my year group at school there were 6 Emma's and 5 of them were Emma Louise - its just so common.

I really hated being common but I guess I've just gotten used to it now. At lot of my friends and family call me Ems or Emylou or even Emzbeth all of which I prefer.

Strangely my parent almost called me Finola - I've never heard of anyone with that name before!! I used to wish they'd called me that instead but I dont think it would suit me now. x
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Zach is an awesome name.

Zach approves this!
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm Natalie - and I love my name. Very few people my age have it - which I like, in fact it's not a common name at all. The majority of people call me Nat, and I like that too. Only my mother calls me by my full name lol. My whole family though, cannot pronounce my name correctly and it irritates me beyond belief. They all say Natlie - totally missing the second A sound. The story goes that my father loved the name, mum hated it. She wanted to call me Danielle. I'm glad Dad got his way - I'm Nat to a T.