Do you like your first name?

Options

Replies

• dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Franci.

Not Francine, not Francis. Franci. I like it now, but not as a kid when people would say Francis. It sounded too old. Now that I have grown into it, I like it.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm a Phyllis and hated it as a kid but I'm comfortable with it now, in fact I love it because there's not too many Phyllis' out there. :drinker: I too was dubbed "Felix the Cat" or Phyllis Diller, but more commonly and affectionately referred to as "Philly" which I love. It would be sad to hate your name...but if I did, I'd simply just go by something I like better.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I like my first name, but it does confuse a lot of people. . Car81307 get's a bit hard for people to say too, so I just shorten it. Feel free to call me Car8130. .
  • candctaber
    Options
    I've never had a problem with my name other than the many ways to spell it. However, my daughters HATE their names! Breaks my heart!!! Oh well, maybe one day they will like it!
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    my first name is Stephanie. Just like every other damn girl that was born in the 80's. I don't like my name because it's far too common and i'm not the "common type". In school i was always called Stephanie A. (A's my last Name Initial) because there would be 3 Stephanie's in the class. At lot of people call me Rocky instead, cuz 1. it differentiates me from the rest of the world of Stephanie's 2. Rocky Balboa's my hero 3. I'm a boxer.

If i could change my name it would definitely be Samantha, Sam for short. I've always liked that name and think it would suite me very well. Especially the "sam" part.

.s.
  • sug_plum
    Options
    I'm Aldora. Yep, hated it as a kid. Wanted to be a Susan. But now that I'm older, it fits me perfect. (and it means "winged gift")
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    NOPE!!! It is ghettofabulous!!! I have wanted to change it for YEARS, but I dont know the process to change it.
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love my name ^_^ It's a good name that also gets misspelt and mispronounced but it has a meaning and I love that :)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Stephen is a good name. So I like it.
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It depends. I like it because I don't know anyone that has it and never have to worry about if someone is yelling at me or someone with my name. But I don't like it because everyone either thinks I am Hispanic or African American, or always pronounces it wrong. My name is Jacquita, I'm a white girl from Oklahoma, I was called Chiquita banana all through school, and now I am often called Jackylinn. So I now mostly tell people to call me Jackie..
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    I like my last name but it is frustrating when people pronounce it wrong or say it is derived from the French. I am French but my name is NOT. lol
  • tessex
    tessex Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My first name is Teresa which I love, I hate to be called Terri. My parents and family called me Terri when I started first grade and the teacher called me Teresa, I did know she was talking to me. Also my dad let me know he wanted a boy which he wanted to name Terry Dale. My dad was not home when I was born being in the army so mom named me Teresa Gale. It is all I have from my mom, she died when I was nine years old.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My real name is basic and boring so I plan to change it at some point. Half the people I know call me by my real name and others call me by my new.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My name is Bridgette. Have always liked it, much more exotic than the names of my classmates growing up . My best friend's mom used to always call me "Bridget Bardot". Perferred that a whole lot more than Bridget the Midget. It does drive me nuts when it is spelled wrong. Not Bridget, or Brigit.
  • HollyAus
    HollyAus Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I Lve my name. I was actually named after my Uncle! I have always loved telling people that. Cause they go "How were you named after your Uncle?" then I say "His name was Holly" they just kinda go Oh ok.. It's hilarious sometimes.. But I've always loved it. I had one other girl in my class with the same name (She moved there in the middle of the year) and I hated it! I'd never met anyone with it and now there is one in my class!!! She moved after a little while so it all worked out lol.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    Mine's Hayley. I sometimes like it. It bugs me so much when people spell it wrong :grumble:

I did change my surname this year because i hated it!
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    Tracy. And I hate it. It was popular when I was born and my mother had no imagination. 30some years later and its still a pain in the *kitten* as their are about 6 different ways to spell it and given that mine is the most traditional way of spelling it, everyone always gets it wrong anyway. And that's after visually seeing it!

I don't like that its an asexual name. And on occasion Ive been called Stacy instead. Um didn't know there was an S in my first name.

I grew up through elementary and high school with my best friend who had the same first and middle name as me.
  • ChiefSinner
    Options
    My name is Onah (O'ney) and I hated it as a kid but as I got older it clearly separated me from others.
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    I like my name; Nicole. The only place I'm ever called it is at work though. Friends and family have always shortened it to something; Nikki, Nic, Cole. It drives me insane when people add an "H" to it though!
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    My full first name is Celina, although on MFP I go by "Lina", and I'm debating going by the latter professionally for certain reasons (not out of dislike for my name, though. Not really).

I like my name, now, but as a child I was very frustrated by how many people, including extended family, would misspell my name. I also absolutely loathed the frequent question, upon introduction, that was "Oh... like Celine Dion??" No, smartasses... it isn't like Celine Dion. My name has an "a" at the end, not an "e". It's a different name! Further in this theme, I would sometimes get a "So, can you sing like her, too?" Yup, really original, people. In the 2nd grade, I was so fed up that one day I insisted on everyone addressing me by my middle name. My mom got wind of that pretty quick, and it bothered her, so I went back to my first name.

Nowadays, I still get the misspellings at times... so usually when someone asks for my name, I say it and then immediately recite the spelling. My extended family has, for the most part, learned how to spell it; I think I have Facebook to thank for that, actually. Some people who "meet" me over the phone first (I've worked customer service/reception/etc) are surprised to meet me in person and find that I'm not of some Mediterranean origin. Nope... Dutch/Danish. On a related note, I have recently discovered that my surname spelling was altered when my dad's family came from Denmark to North America, making my name match my ethnic identity even less. I'm also considering changing the spelling back at some point, even if not legally, in my professional life.
    My name is Corinne and I think it suits me. I hate that I have to correct people on pronunciation and spelling. *rolls eyes*

I absolutely love this name. I know there are a couple of variations in pronunciation for it. How do you pronounce yours? I have actually had this picked out as a middle name for my first daughter (whenever I have one) for some time, with the "ko-RIHN" pronunciation. First name would be Audrey, after my grandmother. "Audrey Corinne". I think it flows nicely, without being a "filler" middle name (I got a filler middle name. It flows nicely, too... it's just so bloody common!) My apologies to my future partner, but I'm pretty adamant about this name combination!

My daughter is an Audrey Merritt. She was going to be an Audrey Helena but I didn't wat to deal with the Helen-a vs Hel-Ay-na issue. SO I changed it on my husband while I was in labour. :0 Perfect name for a little girl now at days though!