Door Opening Men - a question for you

Options

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    It's called being well mannered. I do it for men and women. I'll wait or run to the get the door specially for the elderly.
  • hairdr77
    hairdr77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I taught my boys, who are 21 now, to open doors for everybody. It is second nature now for them to open doors for others. Good manners start at home :)
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just need to add: if the previously mentioned"hot " woman was walking very slow while texting/stairing at her phone then NO I will not waste my time standing there looking foolish holding the door (married so I don't need to win any points from her)
  • conservativek
    conservativek Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Guys, on behalf of a small population of women who still appreciate a true gentleman, I just gotta say... To those of you who have the gentleman's dignity to open the door for a lady... THANK YOU. It's a gesture of respect and protection towards us, and I, for one, appreciate it. I know that today's society teaches men that it's demeaning and unnecessary to open a door for a woman... but I cannot understand the feministic mindset of "You'd better not open that door for me, because I am an independent woman, and capable of opening it myself!" A kind gesture like holding the door for us shows us that you think we're worth something. If I am blessed with children, I will raise my sons to have this great character quality. ;)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I do it for anyone that's nearby...was taught that growing up so it's just habit.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    Courtesy .
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'll open the door for anyone and leave it open when I'm leaving a building. Just proper manners

I will only give a seat(when I'm on the bus,) to an elder(or preggy, or injured, or impaired.)
  • jpcamden
    jpcamden Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I hold the door for everyone. I don't hold it any longer for a pretty woman than I do for Joe Schmo. I'll hold it open if they're a little far away, I'm not usually in a crazy rush so a little niceness is worth it. Maybe they'll pass it on.

I always attributed it to being raised in the South but from the looks of it, it's a global epidemic!
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough to reiterate, I was on campus one time, and I was walking up to the dining area. This girl, don't know how old, was way out in front of me, she stopped opened the door and waited for me to come in.

I was completely mind = blown at the scenario. (I usually rush up to the door if people do that)

So I think a lot of it is location as well. Dem southerners like opening doors.
  • craigy_84
    craigy_84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do this on a regular basis and it makes no difference if it's a lady or a man. If I'm coming out of a building or approaching a door I allways hold the door, or open it and wait if someone else is going that way.

It's called manners and the result of good parenting.

^^^^ This
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I do it for anyone that's nearby...was taught that growing up so it's just habit.

I have noticed around here, if a guy holds the door for a guy, it's the "hold it behind them after they go through, till the other guy gets there" type, but if a guy holds the door for a lady,it is often the ' step aside, hold the door, let her through first" way of holding the door.
  • Grimlock69
    Options
    I open a lot of doors for women. I'm a gentleman.
  • gbbhey
    gbbhey Posts: 188
    Options
    I do this on a regular basis and it makes no difference if it's a lady or a man. If I'm coming out of a building or approaching a door I allways hold the door, or open it and wait if someone else is going that way.

It's called manners and the result of good parenting.

Absolutely. My father, and I admire him for this, started out by making me open the door for my mother. Now, it's a habit that I was raised with. I've made good friends with people I hold the door open for, smile at, or just a simple 'How are you?' If you're in such a hurry that you don't do these things for your neighbor, you can miss out on so much.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

My guess? You don't have an expectation that men MUST hold the door open, so you notice it when they do and the once or twice they don't doesn't register. She believes that all doors must swing by male arms only, and so the outrage gland starts working when they don't. (And we all listen to our outrage gland more than any other organ. True fact.)

lol.. i wonder if that's it.. I never expect men to hold the door open for me and they always do.

I always thank them too. Maybe your friend doesn't seem nice or appreciative.
  • Bawlzar
    Options
    I want the women to know where to go when we're done.
  • aryastark8
    aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a question for men (I'm a woman). A couple of times when I opened doors for men, I felt they were annoyed/surprised. Do you feel bad when a woman opens a door for you? Does it make you feel uncomfortable? (I'm not talking about holding the door, which is just being polite).
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    well i always ALWAYS open the door for women or for men!!!

When you are raised properly by your parents you will have respect for other people. So if you have the chance no matter male or female OPEN THE DOOR FOR THEM!!!!

Absolutely, I have never had to open the door if a man is nearby and maybe only two or three times if a woman is nearby ( and thats only because for some reason they missed the courtesy lesson) And yes even as I female I too hold doors for ladies and gentleman, especially the elder ones and no I would not expect this courtesy strictly based on sex, my parents taught me properly to always be courteous and well mannered!
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    This reminds me of something my dad did once. Now he is very much the "Southern gentleman" which includes holding the door for not just women but everybody. Someone not saying "Thank you" really wouldn't bother him, but when someone is--how shall I say--"obnoxiously rude," it brings out the bit of redneck in him. He was holding the door open for a woman who was approaching the building we were entering. A few feet from the door, she tells him rather harshly that "She doesn't need him to hold the door for her." He says "Okay", walks in front of her, and stood in the doorway, so the door would shut in her face.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Guys, on behalf of a small population of women who still appreciate a true gentleman, I just gotta say... To those of you who have the gentleman's dignity to open the door for a lady... THANK YOU. It's a gesture of respect and protection towards us, and I, for one, appreciate it. I know that today's society teaches men that it's demeaning and unnecessary to open a door for a woman... but I cannot understand the feministic mindset of "You'd better not open that door for me, because I am an independent woman, and capable of opening it myself!" A kind gesture like holding the door for us shows us that you think we're worth something. If I am blessed with children, I will raise my sons to have this great character quality. ;)

I agree. Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman, and I hold doors open for whoever's behind me. So do my daughters. (Ok, they have been known to shove each other out of the way to hold the door open for strangers, but one manner at a time, I guess.) It's just polite.

My guess? You don't have an expectation that men MUST hold the door open, so you notice it when they do and the once or twice they don't doesn't register. She believes that all doors must swing by male arms only, and so the outrage gland starts working when they don't. (And we all listen to our outrage gland more than any other organ. True fact.)

I wish we could like comments because I soo like this!