Anyone NOT eliminating food groups and still losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I eat out of all food groups, just less of it.

And some people clearly don't know what a food group is, haha.
    Pizza, sugar and alcohol aren't food groups.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't know if 28 pounds is considered significant, but I pretty much just count calories. I try to stay close on macros but I eat whatever I want within my calorie restrictions.
  • KT022
    KT022 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat whatever I want, just within reason and stick to my calorie count. If it's things like chocolate/candy/pizza/fast food though I don't eat it every day, but if I do have some, then I don't try and get a salad (because those taste so foul from fast food places in NZ), i'll get a burger, and often omit the fries to keep it at a reasonable calorie level :)
    I used to leave out food groups when dieting, but then I just tended to crash and binge and make myself feel horrible about doing so, now because I'm allowing myself to eat it if I really want it, just being aware of the calories, I'm craving everything less and losing weight isn't such a challenge to me.
  • redguardians
    Options
    I eat any food in moderation, even sweets and have lost 18 lbs so far and several inches. I also work out 2 to 3 times a week with zumba and walk on treadmill..
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    uh,,, yeah,, I do
  • SueGlazier
    SueGlazier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me is when people on here act like the only way to lose weight is overhauling your entire diet, eating only super clean, home made food. Not everyone can do that or chooses not to. You can lose weight with a calorie deficit and still enjoy your food every day.

This. I've always felt this way, but haven't found many here who agree. :(

I agree with this too. Still eating everything I always have just in moderation and at a 20% deficit from my TDEE. Thats working for me. Dont want to cut anything out and end up craving it.
  • shakarock
    shakarock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think that if you completely strip yourself of carbs and fats, or just your favorite foods, you're setting yourself up for a binge. Everything in moderation, especially if you work it off.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I havent given up anything...I just maintained that calorie limit that was suggested...havent changed my running totals...but dropped 10lbs in 2 weeks (after joining mfp) with their guidelines...
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options
    I have lost almost 40 lbs by just eating smaller portions and exercising. I have cake at birthday parties, drinks with friends. If i crave it, I eat it, just in small portions. If I deprive myself of something I will be more likely to go overboard with it next time it is available.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have not eliminated any good group at all. If I want it, I eat it in moderation. I still a ways to go but not eliminating anything has worked so far so good!!
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    yep :drinker: just eliminating pounds :flowerforyou:
  • jengoe
    jengoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything - I'm just careful about how much and what kinds of things I eat. Whole grains, lean proteins, olive oil vs butter, etc. I've lost 31 pounds so far so it seems to be working for me! I'm also exercising more and more as I go and of course that helps too!
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 15 lbs so far (my ticker is off because I didn't start until I had already lost some) and don't eliminate. I will say, however, i eat very little dairy only because I am allergic and no eggs because i am VERY allergic. That having been said, I just make healthy choices. For example, yesterday my boyfriend wanted food from a bbq and steak joint. He got a giant steak and potato, while i had smoked turkey without sauce, a small mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans. I didn't feel cheated or without. I enjoyed my food and it was only around 430 calories compared to whatever outrageous amount his was with his covered and smothered loaded baked potato and 16 oz steak. You have to be careful if you eliminate food groups not to create a deficiency in your body. I was a vegetarian for years and have a problem sometimes not eating as much meat as i should to this day, and found out this year that I am b12 deficient (probably from the 6 years of being a vegetarian before all the vege alternatives like we have now). Trust me, as a girl who can barely eat dairy and can have no eggs, you have to be careful when eliminating total food groups from your diet. I have to load up on calcium supplements and multi vitamins because of the things I cannot eat. I believe portion control, moderation, exercise, clean eating, and significant decrease in the amount of processed food you eat is the key, but that is just me. I also don't tend to be a "calorie is a calorie" type either. Eat for health, not for "dieting" and you will see tremendous changes. Eating for health will take care of the "dieting" if you truly eat with fueling your body in mind.
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated any food groups and am doing well. I myself am not sure eliminating food groups is a great idea (unless for health/medical reasons like intolerance) - they're there for a reason, right? But hey, each to their own method, I guess!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    No eliminating food groups for me, either. I firmly believe homo sapiens were created to be omnivores.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've never even considered eliminating a food group, all the food groups have their place in a healthy well balanced diet.

I keep within my calories, watch my macros and make sure that I keep my fibre levels high.
    I sometimes struggle to eat enough protein and fat so have to make a concerted effort to up these every now and then.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It seems like most people giving weight loss advice recommend eliminating a food group (fat, carbs, etc.) as the "right" way to do it. But if you don't have a medical reason for doing so, I don't see any real reason to. Those of you who have lost a decent amount of weight, did you feel you had to eliminate a food group to do it, or did you still eat a little bit of everything and manage to lose?

I was extremely successful on Weight Watchers a few years ago (34 pounds total and down three sizes in 12 weeks) without eliminating anything but excess calories. I even had an ice cream cone every Friday and ate out almost weekly. I kept that weight off for two years and only put it back on because of a poor choice in birth control, which has now been remedied and I'm losing again.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I dont eliminate anything, just moderate and make better choices (baked over fried, whole grains, low fat dairy, etc). I'm losing steadily.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I haven't elimanted any food groups at all. I just use moderation, watch my calories and exercise. I have picked up more healthy foods but I don't limit myself and I am losing weight. Maybe not as fast as others but a lb to lb and half a week if I watch my sodiums and calories.

This one. Unless you call candy or soda a food group. I have eliminated that food group.
  • literaryweasel
    Options
    I haven't eliminated a single food group and I've lost 23 pounds so far. I try not to eat too many carbs, because I'm a Type 1 diabetic, but I still eat an average amount of carbs. I really, really like bread, pasta, etc., so for me, "trying not to eat too many carbs" means just not letting myself go crazy. I think everybody needs to find what works for them. :)