WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sources for the information on this page:National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.Binge eating disorder.June 2008. Available at http://win.niddk.nih.gov (accessed on 24 November 2009).
    Hobbs WL, Johnson CA.Anorexia nervosa: an overview.American Family Physician. 1996; 54: 1273-1279, 1284-1286.
    This information was

Now according to this, I have an eating disorder! So, what do you all think?

Michele
    [/quote]

Michelle,
    You have more nopes than yeps. So It seems you are concerned about your weight, but not anorexic. But that's just my opinion.

I'm on vacation in NYC today. I'm managing to make good food choices, and I'm walking A LOT. We're staying in a studio apt with a gym downstairs. We stocked the kitchen with healthy food for breakfast/lunch. I love that restaurants post their menus on line, so we choose a restaurant, I check out their food, and I plan out my dinner. Tonight - Indian food.

I don't have a scale here, so I hope my efforts are paying off in weight loss.

Lani
  • dvincent
    Options
    Biggest Blessing in Life, being a Grandma!
  • dvincent
    Options
    Thank you for the NEWBIES welcome!
    A Newbie
    I'm more impressed with this site everytime I get on it, it's so easy, I will send this site to all my friends!
    My first day I made my daily goal for calories, YEH & that was with eating out with friends for my birthday
    and an evening at a friends house. My friend wanted to get me a birthday cake, but I told her fruit only.
    Well, she served a glorious fruit bowl, with strawberries, watermelon, pineapple & more, it really was
    better than cake (almost) LOL
  • dvincent
    Options
    Geann, Thank you for the welcome, wondered if anyone notices the newbies. So much to learn from this website.
    I'm enjoying reading all the posts, so many different stories. I was happy to see a board for Women 50+ !!
    It's a totally different game when you're over 50. When I was in my 20's thru 40's it was much easier to lose weight
    but now that I'm 63 it's much harder, but with the tools on this site I'm excited to have the support group.
  • lose2cruise
    Options
    Good day everyone .... :flowerforyou: Hi to all the new ladies too!

:angry: Today it's snowing hard here in N.Wales. ... Yet again ....big lumps falling from the sky. They've not gritted the roads so it's sticking! ..Great fun will be had by all !!!

:grumble: - Same weight this morning
    :drinker: - have been good so far and will factor in my glass of wine I'm going to have tonight!
    :smile: - I have cleaning calories to add too but don't think I'll be doing any other exercise later. ...mmm? Maybe ....!!!

:bigsmile: I've been on line and bought an ...."Oh no ...Not another new dress!!" ...for our August Cruise. Again it's a UKsize 16! Still can't really believe it, as at the begining of last year I was buying size 20's. I think all the weight went on when I started taking HRT. Great for the hot flushes etc but not for the figure! When I came off HRT towards the end of last summer that was when I suddenly realised that I was no longer size 20. The menopause has a lot to answer for !! It has taken a while to get used to buying smaller sizes. I know I should be a size 12 .... think of all the fun I could have shopping!!! but I am happy to see 16 on the labels for now.

:grumble: As we know... "Stuff" happens in three's. Here's mine!

:noway: 1) As per previous post - toilet flush broke!! Still broken but sort of repaired by DH and myself ... now awaiting the proper part
    ( instead of the "just the right size" bottle that acts as the flush push)
    :sad: 2 ) The oven( that was in the house when we moved in and is so old that we can't get parts for it) decided to stay cold ... as posted. So we've coughed up the £168 and had it repaired ... amazing they found a part to fit.. We did have the cooker on the service agreement but as it was so old the gas board advised us it was money wasted due to parts difficulty etc.
    :explode: 3) The gas MEN ...yep 2 of them ... as oven was heavy to move ... had just left ,when the thermostat went on our lounge radiator. So last night we were sweltering in the lounge ,with the window open to stop us fainting. We had to leave the heating on for my mum's rooms!!... at least thats covered under the policy... So now, we're waiting for another engineer to come with a new thermostat. At least it stuck on and not off with this weather.

:noway: Maybe a fourth calamity... The Dance studio ...so they said... sent out another set of How to Dance DVD's after I phoned to say they hadn't arrived.. I had to phone them again yesterday to say they still hadn't arrived!!! Maybe they'll add yet another Dance to the list to compensate. I think maybe the postmen are setting up here own dance lessons!! I've been promised that the DVD's will be hand delivered on Monday ... watch this space...again!!!

:heart: So I'll say bye for now ....
    Back tomorrow with all you lovely people

Jackie

Hello all and Happy Friday!

Jackie - saw your post. Where are you cruising in August? I'm addicted to cruising and travel in general. We are doing a transatlantic in May from Florida to Rome.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have missed posting because I've been so busy! :noway: You know you're behind when the "Newbies" are welcoming "Newbies" :noway: :laugh:

This is a great site! I have lost 41 lbs since I joined in August of 2009!::blushing:
    You have everything you need right here!:bigsmile:
    There are no rules, we just share what works for us, and it's differant for everyone! Like trying on shoes...you'll know what fits when you put it on and see how great you feel!
    :bigsmile: :drinker:
    Tracking your food and exercise are so easy to navigate here, and the support keeps you going!:flowerforyou:

The best exercise...is the one you'll do (as I have heard it said on this site many times:laugh: )

I like to eat my 1200 calories & exercise calories. I do the treadmill and when the weather gets better will get on my bike and do some hiking.

I will be 62 next month and want to be a vibrant and energetic 62!!!:bigsmile:

Have a great weekend everyone....and take it one day at a time...one bite at a time!!!

God Bless!

BirdieM:love:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Hi me again ..... :ohwell: BirdieM ... Hope I wasn't treading on " Oldies" toes welcoming "Newbies"!!
    It's just that everyone's made me so welcome , I don't feel like a Newbie" anymore!! ....More a MiddleBie maybe!!

:happy: Quick update ..... well within my calories ...still. After chicken stirfry and Rice, glass of wine etc.
    No other exercise but never mind .... still time!!!

:drinker: Thank goodness for the low cal choc drink ... I was sorely tempted sitting here watching the W. Olympics!!
    When ..Oh when ..will we have some Brits to cheer for?

:yawn: Goodnight then... to Oldies, Middlebies and newbies too!!
    Sleep tight
    Jackie
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    And, I hate to disappoint any of you, but scientists tell us you can't build muscle when you operate at a calorie deficit. You have to operating at a calorie surplus to do that. I don't want to believe this, but I think I kind of do as it does make sense from the POV of physics and calories in/calories out and all that. Plus my scale shows me my muscle mass and it didn't start going up until I stopped losing. Le sigh.

MacMadame - Thank you for this very insightful piece of information.

I have read the occasional post on mfp where people are talking about not eating there exercise calories.

Speaking strictly about myself however, I have not put any of my focus on my exercise calories, I simply stayed within daily calorie goals each day. I have found (again personally) that by following "my method" I have on average lost 3 lbs/week and 5 1/2" off of my waistline.

Also, I continue to feel stronger each week and I have noticed that my ab muscles are pulling inward and everything is tightening up and becoming more defined.

So I actually do believe (by observing my own body) that we should not be depriving ourselves of our exercise calories. Our bodies need to have the healthy carbs, fats etc in order to build muscle mass.

I continue to keep my focus on living a healthy lifestyle and not focusing on simply dropping weight. As a result of this type of mindset, the weight has literally, been dropping off of my and I am almost at the weight that nature intended for me to be at.

Again, personally, I don't believe in diets, I believe in making lifestyle changes that will take me through the rest of my life.

Thank you, MacMadame, for your "food for thought" posts. I enjoy reading reading them.

Debbie
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :heart: Hello everyone! :flowerforyou: Welcome to all the newcomers!:flowerforyou:

I'm still getting used to my new work schedule amd so am only popping in for a moment. I do get here everyday to log my food and exercise--and to read the posts when I have the time!

Friday weigh-in--down 2.5 pounds! :happy: I think I'm underestimating what I burn at work. Oh well, it will even out as I get more used to it!

Have a good weekend, everyone!:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    I have had a great time “lurking” this week but not posting much. My husband was wonderful for Valentines :heart: . . . NO CHOCOLATE!! Didn’t have to fight that all weekend, but it’s all over our office today. Just steering clear . . . . I did eat Wheat Thins, then added them to my calorie count. WOW, those are amazingly high calorie!!! Today was in and out of meetings ALL DAY!! So eating on the run. I was mostly prepared with my lunch and snacks, but someone brought it more chocolate. Proud to say I didn’t eat any!!!! STAY POSITIVE THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

143992.png
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Also, I continue to feel stronger each week and I have noticed that my ab muscles are pulling inward and everything is tightening up and becoming more defined.
    That's awesome! When we do strength training while dieting, our muscles get stronger and we are losing fat so they also become easier to see. It's pretty exciting.

But we aren't adding to the *mass* of our muscles. (i.e., bulking up.) In fact, in one study, they compared dieters who didn't do strength training with those who did. Believe it or not, both groups lost muscle mass. But the ones who did strength training gained strength. (i.e., were stronger)

It's pretty hard to diet and not lose muscle mass. That's why strength training is *so* important. It's so tempting to just do cardio because it burns more calories (and therefore more fat) and cardio is important. But we need the strength training too.

I had trouble believing this when I got visible "guns" in my arms and started doing these killer strength workouts. Until I got a scale that shows me my body fat % and my muscle mass and I could see that my muscle mass didn't actually get bigger until i stopped losing weight.

Anyway, I took today off. I had an appointment with my surgeon today. I was worried he'd get on my case for going up a few pounds (he's very strick) but he was actually happy with me. I told him my story about how I thought I was eating less than I was until I analyzed my logs and he really liked that one. He said he has patients he wished would figure this out!

Then I took my kids to the mall. Mini-Mac and I got make-overs at one of the Nordstrom make-up counters. The one doing me kept raving about my skin and wanted to know my regime. Um, I wash my face in the shower?? No, really, that's my regime. :laugh:
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    But we aren't adding to the *mass* of our muscles. (i.e., bulking up.) In fact, in one study, they compared dieters who didn't do strength training with those who did. Believe it or not, both groups lost muscle mass. But the ones who did strength training gained strength. (i.e., were stronger)

It's pretty hard to diet and not lose muscle mass. That's why strength training is *so* important. It's so tempting to just do cardio because it burns more calories (and therefore more fat) and cardio is important. But we need the strength training too.

I had trouble believing this when I got visible "guns" in my arms and started doing these killer strength workouts. Until I got a scale that shows me my body fat % and my muscle mass and I could see that my muscle mass didn't actually get bigger until i stopped losing weight.

Good morning all my mfp ladies!

Well this morning was my weigh in day and honestly I thought that I probably stayed at the same weight since my last weigh in. So when I stepped on the scale it took me a few minutes (I was still half asleep) to really be able to register what I saw.

I have lost 2 more pounds since last Saturday and a 1/2" lost off of my waist line. (Ironic that I say "lost", is that assuming that I'm trying to "find" it to get it back?) NOT!

Anyways, I am SUPER HAPPY!!!! I am only 5 lbs away from my goal weight, woo hoo!!

MacMadame - I completely agree with what you said. From day 1 of working out, I have been doing strength training. I have not "bulked" up in muscle mass. I have (as I stated previously) become stronger. I have more energy, I feel lighter on my feet. I'm happier and when I go to bed (I have a sleep routine too), I am able to fall into a sound sleep within minutes.

I have always been a huge believer in balancing out the workout regime with strength, cardio and abs. You can't do just cardio and expect the same results, it simply doesn't work that way. I know someone in particular that has had a gym membership for years and all she does is go to the cardio classes. That's it. In all these years, I have not seen any weight change in her. She is still carrying extra weight around.

I'm glad that your surgeon was happy with you at your appointment. I would be REALLY impressed if I was your doctor. I think that you're coming at your weight loss angle in a very strategic way. You will be very successful at this. You truly do have this figured out.

As for your skin? As I have always said, "nothing beat soap and water clean".

Anyways, today is Saturday, my day off. I am going out shopping today and I am going to reward myself with buying something that makes me feel "pretty". Hmmmm......I feel like wearing a "happy" color today! LOL!

Good luck everyone and I hope that we all continue to make the right decisions for a healthy body.

We DESERVE it!

Debbie
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Saturday everyone !!!

Hello from a gloriously sunny but chilly N.Wales.

:bigsmile: Great start to today...sshhh!... got on the scales and whoopee!!! down 1.5lb's. So today that has motivated me to continue!
    Today's meals have been planned, I've done the housework and am ready to be enthusiastic again. Must admit I was wavering.

:happy: Don't know why but my skin seems better now. Probably not eating the rubbishy snacks ...I know. I noticed it when I was trying on that new dress which has a low neckline and is backless, bar some diamente strings to the top of the neck fastener.(Sounds hideous but it's not ,honest. Maybe because Of my rose coloured glases? Then ... my hands are also better. I've never had good nails. Being in catering I've spent years having to use harsh detergents etc and it seems it's taken the three years since giving up that "W" word to stop them peeling, flaking and being generally awful! I did read a book years ago - You are What you eat - and yep! It's true i guess!

:drinker: Great for Debbie with your 2lb loss and Kathy too with your 2.5lb's.
    :drinker: Well done Brady in resisting all those chocs... I think I would have resorted to the sticky tape over the mouth!!
    :drinker: MacMadame ... I think you should "bottle" that special facial , don't you? Makes you wonder whether all these treatments that people pay for are really worth it.!! I admit I'm just a soap and water gal, followed by ordinary moisturiser before make up.Shock, horror!!!

:bigsmile: Yeah!! - The Brits have actually got a Gold in the W.Olympics ... must have heard my plea from yesterday!! That'll have all the youngsters out on their tea trays practising! That's where it starts I'm sure!

:heart: MUST TELL YOU......My 7 yr old grandaughter has just rung to tell me that..... she's just had a "PRIVATE" dance lesson. ...pause for breath ....her partner has been dancing for 5 years and she 's only danced for 6 months .... and .... the teacher says she's BETTER than he is....the lesson was given by her partners uncle ...big breath in again.........and he's the BEST dancer in the WHOLE country......Can I pleeeease tell grandad and Nana (Mum) :heart: Bless her boots!!! Watch out "Strictly come Dancing" ...you never know!!

Bye for now... going to log in the food so far and be good for the rest of the day.
    :flowerforyou: Take care all
    Jackie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    MacMadame – I’ve been reading a lot too on calories and exercise and how they work together. I still go by MFP’s net calories and I look at the reports weekly as it is still easy to read. But if your still going to a doctor for weigh loss you need to go by his tracking method. You are doing great.

To all with cleaning and household appliance woes – My vacuum cleaner brush for carpeting broke. My carpets look like a wooly mammoth rolled on them recently. The repair place can not fix or repair it. I’m glad I have mostly tile floors and at the beginning of the month I will get a carpet sweeper. My old vacuum cleaner is still very good, it’s just the one part that broke. It is 17 years old! Not having a large freezer is working out better than expected. We are actually eating a lot better. Pizza is now from a pizza place instead of a box.

Debbie – I so totally agree with your ‘lifestyle’ remark. That is what I am after. Something I can live with the rest of my life. You put it so nicely into words. Thanks,.

Tonight we are going to an authentic Chinese New Year's party given by a host family for their exchange student from Taiwan. While I intend to be reasonable, I already know I have no intention of passing up stuff that I will not have another opportunity to try in the next many years. I will log as best I can and try to do some extra exercise this weekend and move forward. This is a family event and I just hope we all have a good time and that there are fireworks.

Have a great day everyone,

Jeannie

PS: To those with kids, grandkids in the house - check out the profiles on the Olympic contenders. May are very inspiring and amazing stories.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Good Morning to all my inspiring friends,
    I have been a bit of a lurker, reading the posts in the morning for inspiration but then not doing as well as I want in responding. I love that we all have our own special part in making this thread the amazing and encouraging place to be. If we were all at goal weight and living a perfect new eating and exercising lifestyle, this would not be a safe place for a newcomer. If we were all new and faltering and wondering why we weren't succeeding there would be little to be learned.......we have the most perfect diversity from newbies to maintainers from structured to casual from women with chaotic households to those where nothing ever seems to be out of the ordinary. I love you all and thank you for being part of my life

:drinker: for me this has been a lifestyle change. I didn't go into this weight loss journey thinking that as soon as I lost the weight I'd go back to all the "goodies" I left behind....the longer I'm on the journey, the more exercise I do, so now that I'm at maintenance I have a few more calories that I can consume and the choices I make are all healthy ones.....saying no to birthday cake has become a way of life, not a detour.

:drinker: Today Jake is off to a day long meeting for something he loves a lot and I'm thinking of going to the store and buying a bunch of tomatoes and making a big bowl of sliced tomatoes to eat sometime during the day:smile: I'm thinking about how much uninterrupted time I'll have to workout in front of the TV.........that's certainly a lifestyle change.

:flowerforyou: Kathy, congrats on your 2.5 pound loss......underestimating exercise calories is a good strategy for weight loss

:flowerforyou: Brady, how great that you were able to say no to chocolate...I think it gets easier the longer you do it.

:flowerforyou: MacMadame, the two women I know locally who've had weight loss surgery have put back on a lot of the weight they lost because they didn't follow any sort of program......you are amazing:smile: I use the same face care products, too (soap and water) and my face is doing great:smile:

:flowerforyou: Debbie, congratulations on your weight loss.....you show everyone that being focused on good behaviors and attitudes pays off.....I hope you find something fabulous when you go shopping.....for me one of the greatest payoffs of weight loss was shopping for clothes and at first, not crying when I tried things on, and later, actually liking what I looked like in the mirror and buying the clothes I had only dreamed of wearing.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, how wonderful for you to be going to a Chinese New Year party...I want to hear about what good foods they serve......I know you'll be moderate even as you try the interesting food.

I am planning a wonderful day for myself with healthy food, a lot of exercise, some reading, time with my dogs, and some chores......I hope your Saturday brings you all some joy.:heart::heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: hugs, Barbie
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    You're inspiring Barbie!!:flowerforyou:
    Week-ends are so hard for some reason. I've been to my Zumba class and really got a good work-out, but now comes the hard part - controlling the eating. I am so hungry and want something satisfying. I already had some of my husband's grilled cheese. Oh well. I'm going to move on, shower and go do errands and think about food later.
    Zaza
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    :smile: Good afternoon everyone. :smile: Hope everyones had a good week. Mine was pretty good, even with our monthly B-Day party at work. This time we had 4 different kinds of veg soup and desserts. I stuck to the meatless veg soup and had a small dessert. Not too bad.

Just got done with housework and shopping an waiting for the next big snow storm to roll thru tomorrow and Monday. My husband says we have so much snow that the county crews don't know where to put any more. :noway: COME ON SPRING, but then with all the snow we'll have floods. OH JOY......

Think I'll do a little sewing and paper crafting.

Talk to everyone later.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    I'm sort-of proud of myself. Well, for one thing, I made these homemade brownies for dh. See, I love to bake. Anyway, they weren't really to his liking and he wasn't eating them. I know that I still have that "gotta finish it up" mentality -- I think it's from my childhood. Anyway, I took those brownies and donated them to the local soup kitchen because I knew that if I didn't get them out of the house, I'd be the one who would wind up eating them. Bad part -- I didn't donate them until I had one. Another good thing I did for me was that I bought one of those giant iced cookies but had them put chocolate icing all over it. I'm not a big fan of chocolate icing but dh is. So with that icing on the cookie, I'm not tempted (unless it's that time of the month, which it isn't right now).

Off to do my yoga.

Rebel - I firmly believe that moms "know" when something isn't right with their child, regardless of how far away they are. Just recently I had a really funny feeling about my dd, I couldn't sleep, I just "knew" something wasn't right. Sure enough, she was severly dehydrated. She called us one night and dh convinced her to go to the ER. They had to give her 2 bags of fluids. I can't explain it, but I just knew that something was wrong. I didn't know what, but I knew that something wasn't right.

Lani - doesn't it just feel fantastic when you finally fit into a smaller size pants? Years and years ago I'd bought some Wrangler jeans but in colors. For some reason, the pink is baggie on me. Yet, the gray isn't (same size). Go figure! Congrats to you

I have to tell you all. I am so proud of myself. Last night (Fri) a friend asked me to go to a basketball game with her. Not that I know much about basketball. But I knew that her dh wants her to have someone with her and if I didn't go he would. He has a lot of back pain. I suggested they come over here, her dh and mine could go into the music studio in our detached garage. He's into music the same as my dh. But her dh was in too much pain to come over, so he just stayed home. Anyway, we didn't get home until around 11. Here's the great part -- I actually did my yoga!!!! Yea me. Everyone, at least for the time being, GET ON MY CASE to be sure I continue.

Jackie - I thought you said that things come in 3's, not 4's!

One thing that I learned recently was the importance of having some protein with every meal. Now I make a conscious effort to make sure I add some protein. Like yesterday I had oat bran hot cereal which I know is high in carbs. So what I did was mix some cottage cheese into the cereal. A personal trainer once asked me "so, what did you have for breakfast"? I thought I was doing pretty good so I told him "oat bran cereal, an apple and a bran muffin". That's when he pointed out how carb heavy this breakfast was and suggested that instead of the apple and bran muffin, I should have had some egg whites. Now I'm much more conscious of this

You know those places that make the incredible edibles -- they make flowers and stuff out of fruit. One year for Valentines Day I told dh that instead of roses to get me that. So he got me roses. They were strawberries cut up to look like roses. There was some sort of lettuce for the "leaves". One the inside of the "roses" was a minitature marshmallow. So I got what I wanted and he got to give me something.

MacMadame - you are so right when you say that we need not only cardio but also strength training. May I add that we need good nutrition, too?

Here's hoping everyone has a great day!

Michele
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :bigsmile: Just testing Michele!!!

Squeaked in with my calories tonight! Do hope the scales are kind tomorrow!!
    night all
    Jackie:drinker:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    As for your skin? As I have always said, "nothing beat soap and water clean".
    :laugh: