LOL @ Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth between 2 in the area and I have not seen this at either one.
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the people who'd complain about deadlifts don't even know what one is
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Personally I love PF. I feel comfortable going there. Unlike Gold's that I go to on occasion with a friend. Too many people showboating in there walking around talking.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Pfft...glad I finally left there.

I've gone to 5 different PF's in my area and they all had issues.

My new gym = awesome.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    wut about straight leg deads?? that way the weight doesnt slam the floor.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What's the big deal about deadlifts that they don't allow them? Is it a liability issue with people lifting too much and literally busting a nut? Or is it PF's fear of grunting and dropping?

I mean... I'm only around 100 pounds on my deadlifts, but I'm not seeing what's so dangerous or distracting about about them vs any other kinds of lifts.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    lol
    wat-dog.jpg
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I lift regularly at my PF and it is fine. Lot's of people lift at my gym. People just aren't being rude about it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Planet Fatness
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    That sign isn't up at my PF (not that I can see anyway.) Not that I knew what deadlifting meant until I googled it :laugh: :laugh: I don't think I have ever seen anyone doing it at the gym, and TBH I can almost 'get' why. These types of gyms are very newbie friendly, and for a newb to walk in and think "ohhey I wanna do that!" and then try, and THEN throw their back, knee, etc out due to poor technique would = law suit.

While I don't agree with the "anti lunk" thing, I get it. Its about safety and their liability insurance ;-):laugh:
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Good thing I do weighted stand-ups

HAHAHA...This really made me laugh!
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I really wish planet fitness wasn't so terrible with their policies. 10$ a month would be nice, but the lunk alarm? On top of that NO deadlifting?

It's like they don't want fit people in the gym.
  • rishonb
    rishonb Posts: 232
    Options
    Been with planet fitness 2 yrs now.. As of yesterday never once seen a sign like that..
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Its called a marketing strategy. Do you know what that is?

It is actually a very effective and successful strategy for PF.

I work very closely with PF and I can tell you this, you wouldn't make fun of PF if you saw their financials.

really don't think anyone here has mentioned anything about finaces or said that PF is going broke..
    Nope, they didn't.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume that individual locations might vary.

Don't people sign waivers and such when joining anyway..?
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It just may be your PF that put that sign up. My PF is totally cool. And for the people bashing about Pizza night, remember, nobody is forcing it down your throats. Frigging crybabies! LOL!!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Keep people from performing super-effective compound lifts -
    Keep people from being at their best, athletically -
    Keep people fat -
    Keep business? :indifferent:
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness is an awful gym.. They really dont care about fitness. Most of them have bagel mondays and pizza fridays.. Eat a bagel but don't deadlift, we won't judge you.. What a joke.
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    lol what? the one I go to thankfully doesnt have dumb rules
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    I agree with it being a marketing. PF is marketed as a gym that you don't have to be embarrassed to go to. Around my parts they don't police that too much during the night hours, but it gets frustrating when I see the same people do one lift then check out their arms in the mirrors. It's exactly those people that they're trying to discourage.

The ones in my area don't have signs like that, but I think it's because they haven't had a reason to? But certainly if I was looking for a gym to deadlift in I would likely go somewhere else. Just because of how PF operates.