starting the 30 day shred

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Where in the DVD does it suggest those guidelines? Thank u, that gives me a schedule to work with because I too was wondering if u just bust it out in consecutive days. So that being said, it will take longer than 30 days to complete it I see. I should be finished in time for my husband's corporate Christmas party. Maybe I'll post some pics then.

Day 2 on level 1 today for me, I'm a bit sore from day 1 but I'm excited and ready for results! I will post my stats when I have completed 10 days on level 1! Feel free to add me, we can do this together!

It's in the recommendation section. She advises that the workout is not intended to be done every day, and you should take one to two rest days a week. Several people have reported that they saw no changes on the scale until they took a rest day. It also seems that the ones with more success have been people taking a rest day (or two). And I have seen some stats of people who did not take rest days, and they did not seem to lose as many inches.

People who lift weights call these "recovery days." They provide your muscles with the opportunity to heal and grow longer fibers. That is the whole point of strength training, and when combined with cardio, the way 30DS does it, creates a synergistic effect to burn fat while increasing muscles.

It is intended to be thirty days worth of workouts, so some people think that means thirty days in a row. I can understand why people would think that though, especially when they haven't done any research on strength training and muscle repair. What Jillian says lines up with what I am reading in "The New Rules of Lifting for Women."
  • mrsgiffin
    mrsgiffin Posts: 122
    Options
    I did level 1 day 3 today. I have done the shred in the past and I really saw results. I am starting over so I can see results before Thanksgiving!! I am going to do it for 6 days, take 1 day break, then repeat for 5 weeks. I think your body needs the break from it!! I took my inches so am ready to see how many I lose from it this time!! Good luck to everyone! We can do this!!!!
    PANSYD- its a video done by Jillian Michaels. Google it.
  • Cynkane
    Cynkane Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Restarting this today. i did it a few years ago and had amazing results with it. The first 3 days are the hardest (day 3 in particular). If you can push through Day 3 it gets easier and you will start seeing results. I am thinking about mixing some other stuff in with this and doing the Shred in either the morning or the evening and something else at the opposite time to try to boost my results faster. :) You can do it. It is realy hard, but it is only 20 minutes and totally worth it.
  • PeteyogiW
    Options
    Did 10 days of level 1, was hard to begin with, but loved it, 2 days into level and then at the weekend hurt my back, an accident, nothing to do with exercise, dam nuisance!! Will get back to it as soon as possible. Keep at it people, its great and it works :-)
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    L1/D7 today.

I am doing 3 days on, and then a rest day with light cardio. My light cardio yesterday was a DWTS Latin Cardio Dance DVD of my daughter's. OMGoodness, what a train wreck that was. After that fiasco, I was actually *relieved* to get back to shredding!

I am trying to do L1 all the way through with no modifications before moving on to L2. That might be a lofty goal, and it might take me a long, long, long time to get to that point. BUT, I am seeing differences in my endurance every single time. And today my husband noticed definition in my biceps. Woot!

My #1 word of advice for those just starting is this: pay attention to your form! Especially if you are seriously big (like me). Moving 300 or more pounds through space with moves like squats and lunges can be hard on your knees if you are not doing it right. I have found, for me, it is better to do a smaller range of motion and keep my form perfect, rather than a big range of motion where my form goes to poop.

Keep shredding!
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Are you suppose to do the workout every day or every other day?

Jillian's recommendation (from the DVD) is to do the shred two days in a row, then do light cardio the next day, then have a rest day, then repeat. Personally, I have been doing it on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, then light cardio on Tuesday, Thursday, and taking the weekend as rest days. Some people have set up different schedules for a variety of reasons. My schedule is working for me, but others may need to set it up differently. But seriously, if you are not taking a day off at all, then you may as well just do a standard aerobics video because you are not fully benefiting from 30DS or increasing your strength if you are not letting your muscles recover in between workouts. It is during the rest/recovery time that your muscles heal and grow.
    I did take today off. 3 days in a row and I needed the rest day. :) I will go walk at the gym today on lunch though.

Thanks for posting this... I didn't see this part on the DVD so next time I do the workout, I'll go through the menu and find her introduction and actually watch it. Thanks!
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    L1/D7 today.

I am doing 3 days on, and then a rest day with light cardio. My light cardio yesterday was a DWTS Latin Cardio Dance DVD of my daughter's. OMGoodness, what a train wreck that was. After that fiasco, I was actually *relieved* to get back to shredding!

I am trying to do L1 all the way through with no modifications before moving on to L2. That might be a lofty goal, and it might take me a long, long, long time to get to that point. BUT, I am seeing differences in my endurance every single time. And today my husband noticed definition in my biceps. Woot!

My #1 word of advice for those just starting is this: pay attention to your form! Especially if you are seriously big (like me). Moving 300 or more pounds through space with moves like squats and lunges can be hard on your knees if you are not doing it right. I have found, for me, it is better to do a smaller range of motion and keep my form perfect, rather than a big range of motion where my form goes to poop.

Keep shredding!
    I LOL'd at "OMGoodness, what a train wreck that was."... because that is what I was thinking I would look like while I was reading the "DWTS Latin Cardio Dance DVD" title. Haha!! I have 2 left feet. Or maybe 2 right feet. Who knows?! Add those 2 feet to being not very coordinated and you have a mess. An old friend nick-named me Grace one time because I am the complete opposite as graceful. I am always running into things. :blushing:
  • cinfaro
    cinfaro Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30 pounds using the shred! Best results ever!!!!!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Just done day 1 stage one! That was the longest 20 minutes of my life! I'm having to type with my nose cos my arms don't work! I honestly think my childbirth pains weren't that bad!
  • QMHayden
    QMHayden Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ lol. U can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • QMHayden
    QMHayden Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Are you suppose to do the workout every day or every other day?

Jillian's recommendation (from the DVD) is to do the shred two days in a row, then do light cardio the next day, then have a rest day, then repeat. Personally, I have been doing it on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, then light cardio on Tuesday, Thursday, and taking the weekend as rest days. Some people have set up different schedules for a variety of reasons. My schedule is working for me, but others may need to set it up differently. But seriously, if you are not taking a day off at all, then you may as well just do a standard aerobics video because you are not fully benefiting from 30DS or increasing your strength if you are not letting your muscles recover in between workouts. It is during the rest/recovery time that your muscles heal and grow.
    I did take today off. 3 days in a row and I needed the rest day. :) I will go walk at the gym today on lunch though.

Thanks for posting this... I didn't see this part on the DVD so next time I do the workout, I'll go through the menu and find her introduction and actually watch it. Thanks!
    [/quote]

^^^^^quoted^^^^

The recommendation is different, just mentions it being a 20 minute workout n such. This is not on my DVD at all, I checked today. Some people did six on and one off, some did what she's saying and others went right thru it with little to no rest in between. I guess it just depends on the person and ur fitness level as well, some will c results regardless of how they complete the shred. The fact that we r doing this is the biggest win, regardless of how it gets done, listening to ur body is probably a good guide too.
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Restarting the 30DS tomorrow. I did it for about 5 days a few weeks ago but my muscles protested like crazy. I've found my body responds much better with some rest days thrown into the mix (progress with inches AND pounds lost). Oh, and extra stretching! The video stretches weren't enough for me (hence the muslce protests).

No one says it has to be 30 days in a row, right? I don't even think Jillian recommends that, but to each their own. Whatever works for you, do it.
  • ami525
    ami525 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    day 8 of the shred, it is actually going great, still though a push up defeats me.But it seems to not be as bad as the first few days. and i have lost some weight bonus!!!!!!!!

How r u guys getting along, I definitely add more stretches and rest day after three days and do some walking.
    gud luck all and keep it up
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Day 2 level one! Got up at 6 am to do this before sorting out the children, I know Ill be too tired tonight after work.

Still can't manage push ups, I'm doing dips to keep up the gals! Legs and abs not too bad but my arms ache even though I do extra stretching out, They felt so weak! The funny thing was i had the tv really quiet so I didn't wake the rest on the family!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi I have just after much procrastination start this program.
    If u want to join and start , lets motivate each other.

:tongue: Day 1, I am soooo unfit. I found it really hard.
    But waded thru it. I am looking forward to the day it gets easier.
    will update day 2
    Hi Im on day 4 and getting into it now I thought I was fit but OMG I could hardly walk after day one,best of luck keep posting how it goes,there is a JM support group just started!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Day 3 for me! I love it....except for jump rope. I hate jump rope.... :)
    I hate jumping jacks the exercise is fine thats not the problem but my bladder is weak Uuuuugh!:laugh:
  • Haley_Adele
    Haley_Adele Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi all just started the 30day shred today.. How do you add it to MFP so I can see what I burned,
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    level 1 day 2 for a second run through for me. I did it about a year ago and it kicked my butt into gear.
  • LKG31
    LKG31 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Last night I completed day 5, level 1. I woke up this morning not really sore at all so that's a bonus!! It definitely has gotten easier since day 1. I am not weighing myself or measuring myself until the end of each level so not sure about any losses but I feel great! I am taking Sundays off and doing the shred Monday-Saturday. My body needs a rest day no matter what!
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    L1/D9 today. I can't believe I am about to put this in writing, but... I love this damn work-out.

I am now getting through both sets of push-ups (it ain't pretty, and it's still modified - not on my knees but with hands on the coffee table) and all of the crunches (again, my bicycle crunches are pretty dang sorry-looking, but I am not taking a break any more).

I still do a modified version of all the jumpy moves, mostly due to the fact that I haven't found a good supportive sports bra solution and I am afraid of getting 2 black eyes. :wink: I still feel like I am getting a great workout.

I even realized today that I need to move up to 5# hand weights. :noway: Who am I and what has happened to FatGirl??

Hard to believe tomorrow will be day 10 and I could conceivably move on to day 2. I'm kinda leery of that.

As far as progress goes... (get ready for this)
    I am down 2.5" in my bust
    2" in my waist
    3" in my hips

I'm also down 18 pounds, but the start weight is significantly prior to starting the Shred. I only weigh once a month.

Please please please keep shredding and posting! You guys are keeping me motivated!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!