People wearing too much makeup...

Options

Replies

• wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    To the men who say they like the "natural" look- naturally, my skin is pale yet still red and blotchy and kind of washed out, and my eyebrows and eyelashes are so pale that I look like the dude in "Dark Side of the Moon" when he shaves off his eyebrows. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that when I put on a little powder to even out my skin tone, blush, blonde eyebrow pencil, brown mascara and lipgloss that is the same color as my gums (the trick to natural lip color), my husband and male friends think I'm makeup free. When i'm ACTUALLY makeup free I get "Are you sick, tired, hungover, etc". I don't take it personally because for me, the no-makeup look just looks worn-out. My mom and best friend have the same problem. Now for my dark-haired friends, they can easily go makeup free, because you can see their eyebrows and eyelashes, and olive complexions tend to have a bit more color in the cheeks. But I begrudge no one their makeup! (unless the lip liner is darker then the lipstick, because then your mouth looks like a *kitten*). Oh and makeup at the gym- ridiculous. If you're at the gym and your makeup isn't sweating off, you're doing it wrong.

the lip liner thing made me giggle.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    To the men who say they like the "natural" look- naturally, my skin is pale yet still red and blotchy and kind of washed out, and my eyebrows and eyelashes are so pale that I look like the dude in "Dark Side of the Moon" when he shaves off his eyebrows. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that when I put on a little powder to even out my skin tone, blush, blonde eyebrow pencil, brown mascara and lipgloss that is the same color as my gums (the trick to natural lip color), my husband and male friends think I'm makeup free. When i'm ACTUALLY makeup free I get "Are you sick, tired, hungover, etc". I don't take it personally because for me, the no-makeup look just looks worn-out. My mom and best friend have the same problem. Now for my dark-haired friends, they can easily go makeup free, because you can see their eyebrows and eyelashes, and olive complexions tend to have a bit more color in the cheeks. But I begrudge no one their makeup! (unless the lip liner is darker then the lipstick, because then your mouth looks like a *kitten*). Oh and makeup at the gym- ridiculous. If you're at the gym and your makeup isn't sweating off, you're doing it wrong.

hahaha love the lip liner part lol hilarious! My makeup sweats off at the gym and it doesn't bother me at all. I go straight from work to the gym so I don't have to worry about taking it off.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I never wear makeup because I don't really know how to put it on. I was never a girly girl and I was raised by a "natural" woman. The handful of times I do wear make up (just eye shadow and eye liner) my boyfriend always says that I don't need it. I look the same with or without it.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Some girls are TOO talented with their make up. One day you see them and they look like Scarlet Johansen, the next time you see them without make up and they look like Kathy Griffin. Thats false advertising man lol.

This comes to mind...

burger-king-whopper_a1-cropped.jpg

It looks so sad... :(

*gives burger a hug*
  • wrevhn
    Options

hahaha love the lip liner part lol hilarious! My makeup sweats off at the gym and it doesn't bother me at all. I go straight from work to the gym so I don't have to worry about taking it off.

ditto for my sister. If she doesn't she knows she might not go or have time. So she goes with make up if she wore it that day but it sweats off.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I am very lucky. I have good skin (much better even since I started eating right), and I'm very pale with naturally black hair. I can rock the snow white look without trying. I am lazy in the mornings. I don't wear makeup 98% of the time because screw it, I'd rather sleep in. Even when I'm not wearing any it looks like I have mascarra on since I have curly, long, and dark eyelashes.
    WHen I do wear makeup it's minimal. Bare minerals foundation. brown eyeshadow. Maybe a tiny bit of mascara. Lately bright lipstick. That's it. I don't care how others think I look. I wear makeup on a date night or something because I like how it looks, but it's not worth it to me to do every day.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Guess what...you chicks need to get a clue. Make-up is one thing, but looking like a clown is another thing. Why would you want to make yourself look like a plastic blow up doll? A lot of those reasons you named for wearing make-up are true, but the only valid one was having somewhere to go later. I would have even excepted that some people have scars or bad skin, but other than that if you are perfectly beautiful already why not just "enhance" your own beauty vs. covering it up!

If I say you have on too much make-up its not because I don't like make-up or think everyone should look like me. I say it because you look like a hot mess and figured you could use the advice. Looking like you face could be peeled off and set on the table is NOT cute. Just saying....
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    And I have to say, I get irritated when I hear women say "I wear makeup because I want to look good and present myself well"

Well that's all nice and all.
    But what is wrong with thinking the package is nice without all that makeup.

I don't wear makeup on a regular basis, and I present myself just fine.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup because on days that I don't, people (be it friends or strangers) will pull me aside, ask me how I'm doing and if everything is alright.

Naturally, I have uneven skin tone. The bags under my eyes are very prominent when I don't wear makeup. My skin reflects how tired I am. So I wear a base of concealer and moisturizer every day. And I wear eyeliner and mascara to make my eyes pop. It's not a lot, but a little bit really does go a long way.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Some girls are TOO talented with their make up. One day you see them and they look like Scarlet Johansen, the next time you see them without make up and they look like Kathy Griffin. Thats false advertising man lol.

This comes to mind...

burger-king-whopper_a1-cropped.jpg

This is kinda like the let down upon discovering the bra was padded.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
    Oscar Wilde

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
    Dalai Lama

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
    Audrey Hepburn

:flowerforyou:
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    For my husband of 20 years I stopped wearing lipstick, he hates it, the taste, the look, everything. He also prefers a more natural look but he never has anything crude to say when I get decked out (seldom).
    One question...why can't we all just get along???
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I never wear makeup because I don't really know how to put it on. I was never a girly girl and I was raised by a "natural" woman. The handful of times I do wear make up (just eye shadow and eye liner) my boyfriend always says that I don't need it. I look the same with or without it.

I just dont wear makeup because I was raised by my father. My twin sister tried to show me last summer but I just did not give a crap.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Why the hate against makeup? Did you guys never do paint by the numbers, or color in coloring books? Damn, applying makeup is like Crayola for adults.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    For my husband of 20 years I stopped wearing lipstick, he hates it, the taste, the look, everything. He also prefers a more natural look but he never has anything crude to say when I get decked out (seldom).
    One question...why can't we all just get along???

my hubs loves the look (esp red) but hates the feeling and all. so i wear either the stains or none. at best lip balm, but he wont kiss me even with chapstick on. he said he does not want shiney lips. lol

also why i had to cut back on glitter, he thought it was cuter on me than him. lol.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    And, some people wear it because........ shhhhhh....... its a secret......... we don't like ourselves and think we are ugly and want to try to blend in and be halfway decent looking. Most of us are terribly insecure and it gives us some false sense that we are pretty. That is all..... that is why I, and a lot of women, really wear makeup...... Some of us dont even know that is why. We hate looking in the mirror and it makes it a *little* more tolerable.
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Why the hate against makeup? Did you guys never do paint by the numbers, or color in coloring books? Damn, applying makeup is like Crayola for adults.

Yes - what this lady said. I wear it cuz I want to plain and simple. I'm beautiful with or without it. It is a creative outlet for me however. I love my face and wouldn't change its permanent features, but it gets boring sometimes! So, I color on it like a canvas - its fun!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like to wear makeup and I am good at applying it, I am allergic to a lot of stuff though so I have to be very particular about it. I can't wear most foundations (that includes bare minerals and the other fancy nonhypoallergenic stuffs) When I do wear makeup I have to make sure I scrub my face really well afterwards to avoid breakouts.

As for other people wearing to much make up, so long as you don't walk over to me and rub your face on my face I am not even bothered.
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

BUT it does break my heart to hear beautiful women say "I can't leave the house without makeup on".

^^ Me too.

I think you can have a healthy relationship with your make up, or any unhealthy one.
    Make up should be fun, not a weird crutch that covers up what you think makes you imperfect.

If you rely on it heavily, detest your face without it, feel you can't be seen without it on etc., you need a reality check.

If you use it to enhance what you've got, not to hide it, you're good to go.

I wear make up probably 70% of the time. Sometimes I go a whole week without it though, and I still go to work, grocery shopping, see my boyfriend etc.. I try to go at least one day a week with nothing, to remind myself it's possible and it's important to be able to do it.

One other important thing, sometimes it's better to solve what is creating the problem rather than cover it up. I covered up the bags under my eyes for eons, until finally I realized maybe I should just eat & sleep better. Solving is better than hiding ladies!
  • wrevhn
    Options

Yes - what this lady said. I wear it cuz I want to plain and simple. I'm beautiful with or without it. It is a creative outlet for me however. I love my face and wouldn't change its permanent features, but it gets boring sometimes! So, I color on it like a canvas - its fun!

agree. though i would change my nose (deviated septum) but make up does nothing to fix that.

I have as many pics on my comp (oh sooo many pics i take of myself...lol, and dog, cat and hubs) of me w/o it as with it. i think I'm lovely.

though I have had the advantage of being told it a lot throughout my life, some gals have not.

to all those gals.. YOUR LOVELY!