Dear Abby, Why aren't don't older chicks try to be hotter?

Options

Replies

• gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between preening to look good for some man, and walking out into the world head high as a dignified, classy, beautiful well put together woman. In an outfit you planned, with fresh skin and a little makeup, clean healthy hair and a bounce in your step because you feel good about the way you present yourself to the world.
    Precisely. The guy didn't say, "Why don't more women take the time to present themselves in a way that makes them feel good?" he said "Why don't women understand that single men want hot chicks and take measures to make that happen?"

that's the same thing.
    So you only feel good if single men want to date you? That makes me very sad for you. That's the same outlook my mom has. She has Borderline Personality Disorder.

Yeah thats what I said.

Some women complain that they arent getting men.

A man says- well we like attractive ones so if you try that strategy- it could work for you.

Some women: Oh ok! Good point!

Angry bitter woman: THIS IS SO OFFENSIVE! ahnd if you agree with him then you obviously need constant male approval which reminds me of my mom and im going to bring up her psychological problems to strangers on the internet as a cherry on top.

I laughed.

In general, people are encouraged to put their best foot forward.

Everyone has a best foot.

Its different for work, for dating (which he obviously was referring to) and for home alone, running errands, etc.

If a woman feels her best foot forward is an "altered" version of herself, where she has on some lipstick and mascara and a form flattering outfit as she is handling her business.... she should know that youre going to be judging her because she 'cant' feel good in just jogging pants and a ponytail and OBV she has issues with needing men's approval and is suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder (which everyone has anyway).

I learned alot today.

I learned that the demographic I guessed would be the most close minded and judgmental is still right.
    You must have missed the part where I specifically said, "If it makes her feel good, more power to her."

By the way, if you think you're not being closed minded and judgmental, you are sorely mistaken.

I'm glad you learned something though; if you want to learn even more, start with: "alot" is not a word. It's "a lot."
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options

I kinda feel like anyone else who gets mad at this is the people that show up at Walmart at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon in stained jogging pants and a tweety bird tshirt with their hair in a lopsided banana clip, angry that men always go for hot chicks.

LMAO.

I also don't have a big problem with the letter... I think it's honest for a man to say he wants his woman to present herself well, and it makes sense. It is too easy to stop caring about things like doing your hair or wearing nice clothes - not that they are the MOST important things by any means but... taking that extra time to groom etc shows the world you care about yourself and leads to more confidence.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    Studies have found that men are visual. That's how they are wired. It's science. You look at someone and there is either a connection or not. You might be georgeous without make up in sweats and a t-shirt. For me personally, I know I look better in a fitted outfit with a little make up and if I am going out, that's what I do. Do I like going to the gym every day.... absolutely not. But I do it for my health and to feel more confident about myself and if I look more attractive to my SO in the process, well that only benefits me too.
  • Pippuccia
    Pippuccia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I so agree with you. When did wearing pajama's out of the house become an entitlement? You don't have to live at the beauty salon, I know we all have a million things to do during the day. But before you leave the house, wash up, put on some clean outdoor clothes and tidy up your hair. The same women that say "they don't have time" (to do the things they don't feel are important), are the same women that can quote you a blow by blow of what was on TV throughout that day thought.
  • arosethorn
    arosethorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    While some of what he said may be true, since so many people (men and women) let themselves go after a certain age, his letter seems extremely shallow! There's a lot more to a person than their appearance. There are plenty of attractive women out there at his age, but I'm going to assume that most either don't meet his standards or have no interest in him. He doesn't seem like a catch!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I do give him credit for wanting a woman his age instead of being the cliche 40 year old with a 20 year old. I do think that a woman should fix herself up. the problem with his comment is that we don't know what he means exactly. There is a difference in not wanting a woman who is letting herself go and not grooming herself properly and the man that wants a 40 year old who looks like a 20 year old. The average woman can't look like Sofia Vergara and Halle Berry at 40. I am 35 with a child. I have men who expect me to not have stretch marks, etc. Those are the jerks. He isn't a jerk if he expects a well-groomed woman is trying to maintain a level of classiness and fitness.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Because a heels and 4 inches thick of make up is prettier than an awesome personality, ladies and gentlemen. Maybe there's a reason why this @$$ is still only AND divorced
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You care WAY too much about this. And - for the record- everyone knows that when you start attacking grammar and typos and spelling.. it's because you no longer have any valid arguments to back up your opinion. Which is all this is.

You have an opinion.
    I have a different one.
    You're resorting to calling me a slut.
    Im recognizing you are angry and a bit bitter and Im going to let you play in this negative soup alllll day long :drinker:
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    Every woman (and man for that matter) should have a little pride in themselves when they walk out the door. Sometimes sweatpants and a t-shirt can be sexy, but not every day. Sexy isn't about being a size 2. Buy clothing that compliments your body, put a little make up on if you're looking a little pale and most importantly wear your smile. First impressions can never be repeated, so make yours count.
    A person who is proud and confident in comfortable clothing without make up is far more attractive than someone who thinks showing pride means you have to alter your appearance.

Most employers disagree.
    Well it's not like there's a difference between how you look all the time and how you look at work, is there?

They can disagree all they want, but they can't do **** about it unless your contract states you must wear make up and dress in "figure flattering" clothing.

wow - you really live a sheltered life lol - if I showed up at work in non flattering clothing and no makeup - id get reprimanded for not giving a sht
    What do you do? Were you hired to look good or do you actually perform some sort of service that requires real skill?

If I got reprimanded for that, I'd report it to the better business bureau.

I represent a fashion label. It plays well with my - 'I need men to fall all over me' hobby that you keep trying to make me feel bad about. Wont work. Im solid.
    Well then DUH, how you look matters. The expectations for someone working in the fashion industry are much different than the expectations for people in other businesses where discriminatory requirements involving appearance are likely illegal, outside of dress codes like "no jeans, no revealing clothing, no visible tattoos."
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    You care WAY too much about this. And - for the record- everyone knows that when you start attacking grammar and typos and spelling.. it's because you no longer have any valid arguments to back up your opinion. Which is all this is.

You have an opinion.
    I have a different one.
    You're resorting to calling me a slut.
    Im recognizing you are angry and a bit bitter and Im going to let you play in this negative soup alllll day long :drinker:
    Where did I call you a slut?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% that they are bad excuses. I had to start being "Selfish" I had to start demanding time for myself. Even if it means waking up early and sleeping late. I refuse to present myself any less than fabulous. Unless of course if I am sick. Then I may tone it down a notch...
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Well, a couple points to consider... First, I do know a good number of women in their mid-thirties to mid-forties who don't go out of their way to primp or even prep themselves for a day out. That being said, most of these women happen to be wives and the mothers of young toddlers. (I don't have any children, so I'm not saying this from experience, but I'll bet that I'll spend less time on my day-to-day appearance when I have one or more toddlers in the house.)

But it sounds to me like he's expecting a stereotypical MILF - done up, in shape, wearing attractive, stylish clothing. I daresay if he is a "catch" like Ryan Reynolds or Brad Pitt (very good looking, very in shape, and very wealthy) then he can afford to be choosy about finding a very good looking, very in shape woman who takes great care in her appearance. Going off a hunch here, something tells me that he is likely not nearly as attractive or in shape or wealthy as the two aforementioned "catches".

I would suggest that he check his standards and make sure they are realistic. It sounds like he has some serious narcissism to reign in -- maybe that's why he's having a hard time finding a woman that he likes ;)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    OP sounds like she's really let herself go
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the comments on here but quite a few of them are ticking me off especially by 20ish year olds who are criticizing women double their age. Everytime I go to the mall I see tons of teenager girls that are twice my size and with their bellies hanging out....I've had 3 kids and I look 100% times better than they do (and I could lose a few more pounds and certainly tone up) and I'm twice their age. Age is a #, just because someone is in their 40's or older doesn't mean they are frumpy. I am constantly busy and rarely get to sit down but I will NEVER leave my house in a stained shirt or sweatpants.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I don't think the guy is shallow. I'm not gonna lie. When my fiance gets a haircut, shaves, and does some manscaping I kinda wanna... you know. I work out a lot right now because the wedding dress I want to wear at our impending nuptials in 10 mos is gonna make me look like a stuffed sausage if I don't lose some belly fat asap. But when I'm done working out and I know he'll be home in an hour I like to shower and put on something cute and wear make-up and get all dolled up for him. Even if we don't have any big plans. Why should people quit looking nice for the opposite sex? I'm always rewarded with lotsa compliments so just as a reward-driven person it seems well worth the time and effort. Quite frankly if you can't even all dolled up for him you're sending the message "don't take me out, I'm already in my pj's." And soon you will wonder where the spice in your relationship went. I know you're prolly thinking I don't know anything because I'm not married yet. But I was married before. And I dated for a few years before finding the man I love. It's ok to take some pride in your appearance. Women don't need to walk around looking like the *****cat dolls to please this guy but would a little makeup, hair done, and non-elastic waisted pants be too much to ask?
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no problem with this man's comment. Im often surrounded by women my age plus 10-15 and I cannot believe how much freaking frump is happening.

There is a difference between preening to look good for some man, and walking out into the world head high as a dignified, classy, beautiful well put together woman. In an outfit you planned, with fresh skin and a little makeup, clean healthy hair and a bounce in your step because you feel good about the way you present yourself to the world.

I kinda feel like anyone else who gets mad at this is the people that show up at Walmart at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon in stained jogging pants and a tweety bird tshirt with their hair in a lopsided banana clip, angry that men always go for hot chicks.

BAM!

also agree
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    OP sounds like she's really let herself go
    Clearly, but as long as she's confident and happy with herself, who cares?
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I take exception to the implication that only shallow older women take care of the appearance. I think anyone who has a genuine desire to be fit and healthy in their 40s, 50s and beyond are also the sort of people who will take pride in their appearance and select clothes that fit and flatter and I think that's possible without being trashy or shallow. I take care of my health, body and appearance because that's something that I enjoy having. I'm happily married so I really do it just for me. I think there are other women who also do it for themselves, some of whom are single and looking for someone else who feels the same.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I think he was on the right track, maybe a bit to the extreme side. But, I have to sort of agree.....I see alot of women and men in the small city I live near, that have just given up. Overweight, frumpy, roots, no makeup, sweats, baggy t-shirts/sweaters,.......I think no matter what, there is some sort of personal pride in taking care of yourself. I am not a 'preener' by any stretch, but when I go somewhere, I do five minutes worth of 'fixing up' before I leave. I am almost 40, and this face goes out in public with three things: mascara, under eye concealer, and a tint of blush. My hair is brushed. My clothes fit me properly. FIVE minutes is all it takes. I never know who I'm going to run into, and it's not that I care how they would view me, I care about how I view myself when I go out. I will always want to make sure my husband finds me physically appealing. I'm not saying he wouldn't love me if I put on 25 lbs. I would feel different, though.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    At the very least, 40+ women could have better haircuts. Men generally prefer a woman with shoulder-length hair. When women sport these over-layered hairstyles, they just look so old.