Has anyone else quit drinking alcohol completely?

Options

Replies

• Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of drinking, but I know several people who drink almost daily and binge drink weekly. What I've noticed is the girls are very chubby from it. These are girls that are naturally thin and were always skinny as a teen. Once they started drinking it all went straight to their face and their gut. I have a male friend that stopped drinking due to legal reasons (he was on probation for doing stupid things while drunk). He ended up losing like 40 pounds in the first month or something. Again he was someone who was naturally thin but got a beer gut from drinking.

Hopefully you'll soon see some positive changes in your body from quitting. Less sugar, less carbs, less excess calories. It's a good thing!

That SO describes me. I was very skinny as a teen and since I became a drinker it definitely shows up on my face and my gut. I'm tall (almost 6 feet) so I can hide it better (except the face) but it's there. I was 125 pounds through High School and early college. After that when I really started drinking my high (non-pregnant) was 186. I was lucky that three pregnancies over 6 years pretty much kept my weight down and stable but after my last child 2 1/2 years ago I've put on about 20 pounds.

I'm very excited for that to go away and to get back into exercise (only not drinking it away this time).
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a drink since Saturday. Which doesn't sound like much but it is. It's very hard to quit all together. and I make it count when i fall off! trust me! I'm rying. and if you want someone for support feel free to add me. Likewise if anyone wants to help a chicka out..bring it on.

It has been since Saturday for me too so I'm right there with you and I think it's a great accomplishment (especially if you have been a daily drinker like me). Adding you!
  • pd1000
    pd1000 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Staceyann
    Your post is very timely. I have struggled to lose weight for years. I just came to the realization unless I quit drinking I will never be able to do it. I could easily drink 3-4 glasses of red wine before dinner and occasionally enjoy craft beer. So I have been tracking my calories and realize 350 calories per day (plus) is a lot!
    I have a 3 yr old and like you, during my pregnancy was the only time I didn't drink :-(. I am not really into labeling myself but do feel I need to change this bad habit. So, for weeks I've been saying that I got to stop this crazy cycle but just decided monday that I would go all week without a glass of wine. (well until Friday)
    I have been tracking my calories like crazy, working out like a crazy woman with little and slow results. So eliminate the wine and see what happens. It is very hard for me. I just went to the library today to find some sort of self help book to see if I can educate myself. I didn't have much luck, though.
    I would love to keep in touch. I am 43, mother of an awesome 3 yr old, have a great husband and own my own business. I have about 40 lbs to lose.
    :smile:
  • donnantx
    Options
    Yep...I am a drinker...my drink of choice is Crown and Diet Coke....although I will drink beer and wine...I drink a LOT..what others would consider to be large amounts over a long period of time...(I don't drive nor do I have kids at home) and I am also 80 pounds overweight so I decided to give up Dt Coke, Alcohol, over the counter meds (for all those "headaches") and sinus meds and pain pills for back pain (don't take those much though) and just "feel" my body and become intune with it instead of just masking the pain...

I am on Day 3...my last drink was on Sunday..my husband still has a brandy at night or a couple of beers but I am determined to make some healthier changes....when the "I want a drink" craving kicks in I just mentally scream NO..and find something else to do.

good luck with your Journey
  • deltalbarbie
    Options
    I think there are quite a few replies on here from people that have been lucky they have never really been big drinkers and have given up anyway and it being no big deal. However there are others who have been heavier drinkers and no doubt more reliant on alcohol and have found it much tougher to give up.

I am what you would call a binge drinker, can go all week without a drink, but once I have one, I want to get drunk and find it difficult to stop. I have a fairly active social life with friends who all enjoy a drink, most not as much as me. I struggle to enjoy myself on a night out without a drink, but if I have an important golf match coming up I won't touch a drop.

I would love to give up completely as I know the weight would drop off me, but I don't want to give up completely if that makes sense?? As I enjoy it and want my fun time!

Anybody similar please add me maybe we can help each other drink more sensibly!

I think that you are right. Many people tend to not see it as a problem because they don't drink everyday or they can abstain when they absolutely have to ( I guess we are opposites because, I find that golf matches are when I tend to drink more) but as you point out, it still is a struggle to drink responsibly. I think it is actually better to stop or slow down when there is still a chance. @ Staceyann, Wine and Beer are my guilty pleasures. After this past weekend, I resolved to quit drinking "just because" and only do it on special occasions. In doing this, I set boundaries and goals. I plan to abstain for one month and hope to enjoy a glass of wine on Thanksgiving. I used to be an occasional drinker, but find that we drink frequently to relax. I have noticed that I have gained more weight in the past 4 years and I attribute it to increased consumption of alcohol. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me for support.
  • EmilioA
    EmilioA Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Today marks 6 weeks since I've had a drink. I originally decided to give it up because I am training for a half marathon (Saturday! eek). I also realized I hadn't gone a week without drinking since I turned 21 (I'm 27 now). I haven't noticed a difference besides I feel a bit better on Saturday and Sunday morning (I was only drinking on the weekends when I quit). I've extended my deadline to 11/16 and after that I plan to slowly reintroduce drinking into my diet. My goals are to only drink beer that I like (generally IPAs) not just down 10 Coors Lights to get drunk, I want to drink a glass of wine with a nice meal and I want to drink bloody marys. That's about it. I haven't lost a pound because I quit drinking which is frustrating, but other than that it's been pretty easy. Both my parents are alcoholics, so I'm proud of myself for doing this. At the end I will have gone 9.5 weeks without.
  • deedeefelldown
    deedeefelldown Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I actually just decided this last weekend to cut alcohol out of my life.

I am 25 and happily married with no children (yet), so for the last two years or so my husband and I have drank pretty regularly on the weekends just because we could. We were always responsible by taking cabs, but knowing we had a safe way home almost made us drink more. 'May as well live it up while we still can' was my mentality... but after many nights I can't even remember and countless hangovers, I've realized that's not really living at all. Beginning my Saturday morning with a nice long run instead of with my head in the toilet is so much nicer! ;)

We are a social couple and I do expect it to be difficult at first, but I know it's not something I NEED to have fun.
  • sheepiegail
    sheepiegail Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I decided this Monday to see what impact giving up drinking would have on my weight loss trek. so far so good in the weight loss department but I have to admit that I do miss it right now. Hoping the change in the scales will be the smack in the head that I need to stay the coarse. The empty calories and headache the next day are no joy anyway. Hoping to make it stick til Christmas or til 30lbs off the hips whichever comes first. Then I might celebate with one glass.
  • d3nise
    d3nise Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @deltabarbie and staceyann, I can so relate with the exception of beer. Have definitely put on some weight. I love my wine and rum and was starting to partake daily to relax. I also have a huge social circle that enjoys drinking, but drank by myself as well. I have decided to give all alcohol up til Thanksgiving and then keep my intake to an absolute minimum. Unrealistic at this point to say I will give it up forever, as I love, love, love wine. My last drink was this Saturday, so I am just getting started on this journey as well. You can feel free to add me for support, as I might need some as well.
  • Ebethlonghorn
    Ebethlonghorn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. I am only one week sober and it is tough. I quit for a year prior to getting married. I then quit for two years (two pregnancies and nursing)...but got right back on the bottle. My 3 yr old was starting to act different when mommy and daddy would have their "coffee". I have also ALWAYS fought the beer belly, so I thought VIOLA, vodka. Well, here we are...I have flipped flopped 5 pounds for the last three weeks only to realize (I really knew all along just in denial) that the booze was packing on the weight. Just in one week off booze, I have lost the stubborn booze 5 pounds and TWO more!!!! If my kids were not motivation enough, the weight loss certainly is.

It is an incredibly hard path...as an alcoholic, I know. I have been to AA and Alanon but the demon wins everytime. I do not want my kids to be raised in the same manner I was (with alcoholic parents) and I really want to FEEL better!

Taking this plunge with ya sista!!!!
  • c4ssandra
    Options
    @Staceyann... I am not a mom or a drinker, but I am the daughter of an alcoholic (two, actually). I am sincerely glad that you are quitting before it become a big problem in your family dynamic. I know you don't want to let alcohol destroy your life and that's why you're taking control. :) So happy about that!

If you (or any parent reading this) ever struggle with wanting to go back to bad habits in the future that could lead to worse habits, think about this: Think about the possibity of you accidentally losing control and spiraling down to rock bottom. Imagine the impact that will have on your kids. How much that would hurt them. How it would hurt your family and friends. And how it would hurt you. Ask yourself if you want your kids to see you experience any of the following:

-glazed eyes
    -slurred speech
    -stumbling and falling down, in home and in public
    -intense mood swings
    -abuse (verbal, emotional, physical)
    -incontinence
    -passing out on the couch
    -body odor
    -rotting teeth
    -sour breath
    -broken promises over and over again
    -legal problems related to your alcoholism, including rehab, probation, and prison
    -hallucinations and violent sickness due to withdrawals and delirium tremens (these are particularly awful to watch your mom go through)
    -poor memory
    -loss of cognitive skills even when sober
    -force your kids into taking on adult responsibilities such as cooking, cleaning, shopping, caring for the younger siblings, etc.

Nobody ever wants to let things get that far out of control, but when you're giving up your senses and body and mind to alcohol, you ARE giving up control, whether you realize it or not or want to admit it or not. Alcohol not only affects the drinker, it affects the whole family.

My mom never meant for her life to get out of control, but in the 17 years after she started drinking after her kids went to bed, she's experienced all of the above herself and more and I have watched her go through all of it. I lost my real mom when I was only 9 or 10 years old, and thereafter, she was the alcohol. She wasn't a bad person before she became an alcoholic. She's still not a bad person...she's just made some really awful decisions. She was a responsible mother before the drinking got out of control. I don't know what made her turn to alcohol. She's sober now, supposedly (I live 12 hours away from any of my family now, mainly to get away from the dysfunction). I know the guilt for what she put us through for the past 17 years eats at her every single day. She told me it does. And I think that guilt is what made it so hard for her to quit so many times...she just didn't want to come back to the surface to face what she did. At this point, I hope for the best but always expect the worst. Do you ever want your kids to have this attitude towards you? Do you want your kids to be in therapy every week as adults trying to figure out how to cope and figure out how live like a functional adult because the example you set for them only taught them how to be dysfunctional? In some ways, I still feel like a scared 10 year old who only wants her mom to sing her to sleep on her lap. You know, for things to just be okay. Like I said, she's sober now, but our relationship is very weak and I often find myself wishing I had a mom, because she sure doesn't feel like my mom. I've taken care of her more than she has of me.

I know this cautionary tale is a scare tactic. But I do wish some other kids used this on my mom before she started drinking out of control. I guess I'm posting this for your kids.

I do wish you the best of luck and hope that you and any other parent or person struggling with alcohol reading this can seek help to get better, whether they are a full blown alcoholic or just realizing that they drink too much. Just because you drink doesn't mean things will get as bad as it got for my family, but are you willing to risk it?

Best wishes!!!!!!!!!
  • latinobarbie1208
    Options
    Hi everyone - I sure do hope this group is still active. I noticed there hasn't been a post for a couple of weeks. Staceyann, I am reading Allen Carr's book right now and it seems to be working. I was so skeptical when I bought the book but I'm totally sold on it now.

Please let me know if there is another group or if this one is stil lactive - I would love some support and motivation as I go through the process of becoming a non-drinker.

Thanks!
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Alcohol free since July 1993 . Don t miss it at all.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have stopped drinking, because I'm pregnant, but I'll probably drink again after I have baby. I usually only have red wine once or twice a week (when I'm not pregnant) :O).
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    OP - I haven't read that book, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. You will give an amazing gift to your children by being present in their lives. As you said, moderation might not work for you. We all have to find what works for each of us.

My mom's drinking started when I was a teenager, so I'm at least grateful that my younger years were not affected. But the alcoholism destroyed our relationship. Personally, I drink very rarely and when I do, I don't have very much, just to avoid following in her footsteps.

Add me if you'd like support as you follow this new path, and good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I thought the Allen Carr book was fascinating. I got way more out of the drinking book than I did from the eating one even though food is my issue, not alcohol. I didn't drink for a period of 9 months and because I'm not a big drinker anyway I didn't miss it much. Friends and family had more of an issue with me not drinking than I did. I found that surprising - why should it bother them if I choose not to drink? I suppose it's a bit like being on a diet - it makes them question their decisions/habits.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't have a drinking problem. I have a stop drinking problem. Once I get started I usually keep going and end up with a hang over. Thats why I don't drink.

Bless you and be strong. Think of not drinking as a gift to yourself the next day.
  • atyoursix
    Options
    I didn't quit...I surrendered! 10/25/84 Had a friend who's brother was a Vietnam Vet who was also in recovery. He helped me along with some tough love in the beginning and there was no turning back. What happened is the gates of heaven didn't suddenly open up and let me in, but I know the gates of hell opened and let me out....Advice, don't pick up a drink and you won't get drunk! 28 years sober one day at a time by the grace of God!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have. I also read the same book... and probably 10 more! Lol! I quit November last year. I recently had a slip. No big deal. Just getting right back on the horse. I think people quit when they are truly ready to quit. I know that sounds easier said than done... but there's a lot of "preparation" work involved in quitting a habit/addiction. It can take years sometimes. Good luck! And stick with it.... that's the most important thing.

I can recommend the following I've read: Changing For Good by Prochaska, Turnabout by Jean Kirkpatrick, Sober for Good by Anne Fletcher, Staying Sober by Gorski & Miller, and Rational Recovery by Trimpey. Another good read is Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp.

Also highly recommended: http://womenforsobriety.org/beta2/