50 Shades of Grey....Love it or Hate it?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it was meant for a Young Adult audiance based on the writing. For all those women out there that think Christian Grey is a great guy and are "madly in love with him" need to get their heads examined if that's the type of man you like. Please let my husband call me stupid and control my every move and I would enjoy wondering if I made him mad all the time and tip toe around his anger. That would be a lot better than the always sweet, loving, has me on a pedistal and I can do no wrong husband I have. I read the books out of pure curiosity to see if the main character actually got smart. Caught myself more than once physically rolling my eyes.

In Christian's defense (and I have only gotten through the first two books, so maybe it happens in the third), he never calls her "stupid."

Just the opposite. Ana is the most intelligent, beautiful, perfect, wonderful human being every to walk to face of the planet. We know this because Ms. James tells us over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    OH BE STILL MY HEART!

I think this is why I decided to get back on MFP.... I was so envious of there relationship, Christian and Ana were both in awesume shape... made me wana be healthy and be in top fitness condition.. The books soooooooooooo Changed my life..... When i wanted to eat unhealty.. I wld refelct back on several meetings between the 2!... amazing story! Make ya wana be the best ya can be! N~JOY !!

:noway: :explode: :laugh:

GLAD I MADE YOU LAUGH! LOL:huh:
    Well, you WERE joking, right? PLEASE, please, please tell us this was a joke :huh:
  • ShellyJKFIT
    Options
    Read the first two of the series. Book three, well I have been stuck on chapter 3 since the beginning of summer. Not interested in them like i was.
  • indigo_rose
    Options
    OH BE STILL MY HEART!

I think this is why I decided to get back on MFP.... I was so envious of there relationship, Christian and Ana were both in awesume shape... made me wana be healthy and be in top fitness condition.. The books soooooooooooo Changed my life..... When i wanted to eat unhealty.. I wld refelct back on several meetings between the 2!... amazing story! Make ya wana be the best ya can be! N~JOY !!

:noway: :explode: :laugh:

GLAD I MADE YOU LAUGH! LOL:huh:
    Well, you WERE joking, right? PLEASE, please, please tell us this was a joke :huh:

Lol!
  • OhLibra
    OhLibra Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    hated-it.jpg?w=300&h=231

^ This.
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Haven't read it, don't plan to. I've heard it was horrible writing and horrible portrayal of women. Not going to subject myself to that crap.
  • thenewmrsgant
    thenewmrsgant Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I loved the first one...but the last two left something to be desired. I didn't like the change in Christian's personality...so I started to lose interest. :yawn:
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    hated-it.jpg?w=300&h=231

Love this!!!!! I hated it too!! And the repetitiveness was terrible!! I mean how many times can you be beguiled or famished...how about hungry or starved...I mean, get a thesaurus for crying out loud!!
  • thrashrn
    Options
    1338902753362_3725738.png
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it was meant for a Young Adult audiance based on the writing. For all those women out there that think Christian Grey is a great guy and are "madly in love with him" need to get their heads examined if that's the type of man you like. Please let my husband call me stupid and control my every move and I would enjoy wondering if I made him mad all the time and tip toe around his anger. That would be a lot better than the always sweet, loving, has me on a pedistal and I can do no wrong husband I have. I read the books out of pure curiosity to see if the main character actually got smart. Caught myself more than once physically rolling my eyes.

You took the words out of my mouth! I finished reading them because I have an ocd and I cant stop anything midstream but it was horrible!! I kept ready because everyone says it gets better....it didn't! I was so thankfull when it was over and I could move on to something else!!
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Easy, entertaining read. It's like going to see a big summer blockbuster film and expecting an actual plot and witty dialog. It's simply not that kind of book. The writing was ****e (and what was with the British slang in an American setting), but in all honesty, I liked Christian's character arc. Set aside the buzz about the BDSM, the sucky writing, the hype that made everyone expect too much from the series, and the constant perfect sex, and it becomes a kind of subtle unfurling of this romance--and all its difficulties--between two people. /shrug
  • RosaC773
    RosaC773 Posts: 126
    Options
    Reposted below
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    hated-it.jpg?w=300&h=231

Love this!!!!! I hated it too!! And the repetitiveness was terrible!! I mean how many times can you be beguiled or famished...how about hungry or starved...I mean, get a thesaurus for crying out loud!!
    Not to mention, flushing, blushing (crimson, scarlett, etc), gasping, blinking, "oh my", "holy crap", and the relentless orgasms her slutty "inner goddess" seems to have....

UGH..enough already..."Laters Babe"
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    pure drivel - hated it. New Rules of Lifting for Women entertained me more

Perfectly put :) Its badly written rubbish, that is filled with filler material (the emails, the rules, etc are just there to pad the pages out,) and its completely unrealistic.

I've written better material than what you find in those books.

And to quote one friend (female btw) -

"Why do so many women feel the need to read some badly written book to have a sex life ? Whats wrong with them that they can't get aroused normally ??"
  • cre8ive1010
    Options
    loved the build up to chapter 8 got to chapter 12 and was over it... not hardcore enough to keep my interest. Too much of a love story and fluff.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Easy, entertaining read. It's like going to see a big summer blockbuster film and expecting an actual plot and witty dialog. It's simply not that kind of book. The writing was ****e (and what was with the British slang in an American setting), but in all honesty, I liked Christian's character arc. Set aside the buzz about the BDSM, the sucky writing, the hype that made everyone expect too much from the series, and the constant perfect sex, and it becomes a kind of subtle unfurling of this romance--and all its difficulties--between two people. /shrug

Set your standards higher. Star Wars, Independence Day ... big summer blockbusters with plots (good plots at that) and good dialogue. Why is that not expected anymore?

Even the boyfriend is complaining about the "guy" movies lacking in story these days. He actually wants more than a bunch of people blowing things up and shooting.

Harlequin Romance Novels look like Shakespeare next to the 50 Shades books. I stand by my contention that they should never have been published and shame on the publishing industry for doing so.
  • mrandmrsclaude
    mrandmrsclaude Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Loved it while I was reading it and then when it was over I decided I hated it.

Same
  • RosaC773
    RosaC773 Posts: 126
    Options
    I have one thing to say...

There is better written, kinkier, and best of all FREE stuff online...

Can you please share the link to these sites? lol :tongue:
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    Not worth the money I spent on it, and it is time wasted that I cant get back. If I buy a book I feel obligated to finish it. I did not read it because it was Terrific. It was pure repetitive garbage.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Set your standards higher. Star Wars, Independence Day ... big summer blockbusters with plots (good plots at that) and good dialogue. Why is that not expected anymore?

Even the boyfriend is complaining about the "guy" movies lacking in story these days. He actually wants more than a bunch of people blowing things up and shooting.

Harlequin Romance Novels look like Shakespeare next to the 50 Shades books. I stand by my contention that they should never have been published and shame on the publishing industry for doing so.

I didn't think we were judging other people's responses. I thought we were stating whether we liked the books or not. :huh: