Do you count calories in Fruit and Veggies?

Options

Replies

• Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Umm yes. Some fruits are quite high in cals and carbs and sugars.

If you eat it- log it. Even if your one of those people with the problems that eat toilet paper and stuff (log that extra fiber it's good stuff) :wink:
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Only if I put them in my mouth and swallow.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, you definitely have to count them.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It depends. Fruits I always log, they have more substantial calories than veggies and I can overeat fruit--especially bananas. Veggies, it depends on the veggie. Starches like peas, corn, black beans, etc., I measure and log. Non-starchy like grean beans, brocolli, I log, but don't measure (just eyeball). Then there is lettuce and celery, I don't log those at all. A slice of tomato in my sandwich--I don't log. A bunch of cherry tomatoes as a snack, I log.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    What are these fruits and veggies you speak of?
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you don't count the fruit and veggie calories, you could be filling up on empty calories with other things. No good! It's also good to know that fruits and veggies have way less calories for way more volume of food—that knowledge alone from tracking them can give you a better mindset about filling your diet with them!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would track water's cals if it had them.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I always count the fruit, because the natural sugars can add calories, but I sometimes don't count the veggies. Make sure you count salad dressings and veggie dips, though!!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Oh yes.. Especially fruits!! My morning banana has 105 calories!
  • FightingGenetics
    FightingGenetics Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Track EVERYTHING!!! Otherwise when you get to a plateau and need to look at what you are doing, you won't have the "Entire Picture".

In order to make changes in the diet to see changes on the scale, you must know EVERYTHING that is in the diet. Just my thoughts...
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure who doesn't count fruits and veggies, but they're food like everything else.. Your body counts them whether you log them or not...
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I count them.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    YES! Success with this depends on COUNTING! Calories in, calories burned. Fruits and veg are far from calorie free!
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    When I did WW there was no tracking fresh fruit and veggies BUT I never lost a pound on WW soo yes I absolutely count all foods I eat.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I dont count, I record them. MFP does the counting for me
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yes I do count fruit and veggie calories! Also, if I'm super hungry, and I'm at my calories for the day, I don't mind going over budget if it is with green/leafy veggies!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I count them. Carrots for example are 50 calories for a cup. It adds up. I have a lot of people looking at my diet and it would look strange if I didn't add the veggies. Fruit calories can especially add up.

If you are trying to lose weight you should include everything. You would be surprised how much things add up including a lot of supplements. It could be 100 calories which for a small person would be a significant part of the deficit they need for losing weight.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Only those high in fat content (avocado, nuts, seeds). Besides that. Eat away!!!
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yes of course! They're a food afterall. And sure some are extremely low cal, but others can get out of hand if you underestimate.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I count each and every calorie, I weigh and measure. What would be the point of counting any calories if you selectively choose which ones to count or not. It seems to me like a form of lying to yourself. For what purpose? Stand in the truth!