Deleting Friends...

Options

Replies

• JohnMessmer
    Options
    I delete friends that are out for more than a week and do not respond to a message inquiring if they are ok. I don't mind people updating their status frequently, if that is what they like to do.

I do expect the same consideration and encouragement as I give, on exercise I want to see "nice job, Way to Burn, Good Going, etc" and on good diary goal days "good job, nice, etc.", but just as important I want to see "holy **** John what were you thinking?" when I blow a goal. Quite frankly it seems like everyone is there for encouragement and support when you succeed, but when you fail no one is there to kick you in the butt and get you back on track and that is when you need the support the most. I am not a "that's ok, tomorrow is a new day" kind of person, that kind of thinking is why your fat *kitten* out of shape body is here in the first place. I am more of a "you don't need to go to bed, you need to go for a walk and burn off some of those bad choices" person. I realize not everyone appreciates having someone tell them they screwed the pooch and need to straighten up, or g@d forbid you tell them "you are a bit light on the calories, eat something", stand back and wait for the lightning bolts to shoot through the monitor. That is how I support, that is what I like from my friends, if they sign on but turn out not to be a good fit, then we separate, no hard feelings, not everyone is meant to be everyone's friend on here, or in person.

Lastly, I delete if they do not have an open diary to their friends. I can not, in good conscience tell someone what a wonderful job they are doing by being under their calorie goals if I can not see what they are eating. Eating a cube of cheese a day is under most peoples calorie goals, it is not "Good Job" material. I know some folks say "My Diary is my business and no one else's", so be it, those people are not my friends. This is a fitness site, the goal is to become healthier (well for most anyway) and not, necessarily, to be the most popular. In terms some will understand, no one likes a Drill Sergeant; until they realize that what he helped you to become saves your life.

Have a Great Day!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I like to make my friends list battle..hunger games style. The winner gets to keep me as a friend..and live.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If they're attention *kitten*, if they aren't interactive, if they put up images of themselves that I don't want to see popping up on my work computer, or if they send me gross messages.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Rarely do I delete (haven't logged on in weeks upon weeks) - I'm typically the one deleted.

For instance, a few weeks back I traveled out of the country - very VERY minimal internet use and told the friendzo's so. Like 15 people deleted me... why? For not logging in and interacting. Two way street - you want interaction, read the g'damn status!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    They friend me, and still I remind them to read my about me section. They all agree, and what do you know.............the only time they comment me is when I say I'm going to the beach, or something personal............which is cool, I guess, but I'd rather get some, "hey good job working out" or what not. For me personally, I was coming to the realization that they were interested more in my personal life than anything else.

I'm the exact opposite. I do better when I form a connection, and for me, the people that give me generic "wat to go" or "great burn" comments are annoying because you don't really care, you saw an update and posted some filler that is interchangeable with anyone else on your list. It drives me nuts. I want real internet friendships!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I haven't ever deleted anyone. I think the only reasons that I would are A) trying to sell me *kitten*, or B) someone who is a pervert and trying to pick me up. Other than that, I'm not uber-serious about the whole "internet friends" thing. It's nice to have people to talk to, but I'm not going to get my butt chapped if somebody doesn't log in for 2 weeks, because it's their life and they can log if and when they want to. I'll be here when they get back :smile:
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I delete because I can. People delete me, because they can. It's really easy...add me and I'll show you

I missed this the first time around...where the frick is my "like" button?! :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I mostly only delete people when they haven't logged in for over a month. If it's someone I felt connected to I give them a little more time, maybe up to 3 months. I have some family and friends that joined and never log on but I don't delete them, lol. I have also deleted people that I find annoying or that have what seems like an unrepairable (is that a word) negative attitude. I can ***** and whine with the best of 'em, but I don't need it coming from someone else every single post every single day!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    If they are gone for an extended period or if they have a habit of disappearing for days at a time.

If they bring drama to my feed. Troubles are inevitable and I'm happy to support through them but if your life is one big drama fest, goodbye.

If they don't 'get it'. If they are eating pure crap and complaining about not losing weight, I don't want to listen to them.

If they are emo, because it makes me want to punch them in the face.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I delete people when they don't log in for a long time, or when they refuse to really do anything to help themselves lose weight (or when they are trying to lose too much, and are on the verge of an eating disorder).
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Rarely do I delete (haven't logged on in weeks upon weeks) - I'm typically the one deleted.

For instance, a few weeks back I traveled out of the country - very VERY minimal internet use and told the friendzo's so. Like 15 people deleted me... why? For not logging in and interacting. Two way street - you want interaction, read the g'damn status!

more for me.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I delete friend hoarders. If they have a ton of friends, consistently get a ton of support (on posts that aren't witty or anything, just your basic "I lost 0.2 pounds" or "today I made chicken for dinner!" updates), yet NEVER comment on my posts or anyone else's, I don't really feel like keeping them around.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt be surprised if people started plucking me off their friends list. Im so inactive on MFP....Except the forums....

Ps...the only reason why I havent been as active as others is becausee I access MFP through my Playstation3 and its a bit difficult to figure out.
  • Angel_Eyes1975
    Angel_Eyes1975 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have only deleted people that had not been on in 30 days
  • Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I delete negative people that are ALWAYS complaining and people with EDs. People talking about binging and purging makes me very uncomfortable.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I only delete friends if they have been inactive for a month, there is no 2 way support & they are trying to promote/sell their products.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I keep my friend list pretty tight...I clean it out regularly.

If someone hasn't logged in, in over 10 days (A decent vacation) & wasn't excited enough about it before hand to tell anyone they were going on vacation....

If someone isn't giving me a back and forth interaction/support & encouragement (or friendly harassment).

If someone is not serious about changing their lifestyle & eating habits to get healthy but complain about not losing.

If someone complains about not losing X amount of pounds in X amount of days or they've been on a "plateau" for a WEEK!

Actually, I guess there's a lot of reasons why I delete someone...

Be serious about changing your life for good and interact with me somehow...that's all it takes.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I was warned early on to watch who I accept requests from (thanks to those who helped me!). So, my list is pretty small still.

I have deleted people that creep me out. Call it women's intuition or paranoia, but it's what I do to make my experience on here pleasant. I have also deleted a couple that have tried to sell me things.

I don't delete inactive friends, because I know that life happens and time can get away from you sometimes. I have a couple friends on here that do have only 1 or 2 friends, so I try to be as supportive as possible to them. MFP was intimidating to me when I first logged on and I wasn't trying to make a complete lifestyle change. I also knew people on here that helped me with the ins and outs of navigating. Imagine what it's like for these new people coming in here. Not only are they trying a brand new lifestyle of eating healthy and exercising, but they are also opening themselves up to a new community that is very quick to comment on every calorie that is put in the person's mouth, as well as burned. That's a lot for a person to take in up front.

So...anyway. Try to give your inactive friends a little nudge before bumping them. *stepping off my soap box now*
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't generally delete people...only once I went through and deleted a few that weren't on for a long time. I was a little irritated that 3 or 4 people deleted me and didn't tell me why....I must have annoyed them in some way because I have never missed more than 1 or 2 days (of course it's usually the weekends) of logging in so I can't imagine that is why.
  • SMBL2
    SMBL2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I only have a handful of friends and those are connections I made before MFP. Call me selective or whatever, but if I don't have oodles of friends on my list, I don't have to worry about them not logging on or checking in and then having to delete them because *they* didn't live up to *my* expectations. Life happens, I get that. I'm not going to unfriend one of them because of it.