First baby...how old were you?

Options

Replies

• vcp214
    vcp214 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Age now: 30
    Age when first child was born: 27 (almost 28)

I'm actually from Ohio, but moved to Kansas a few years before my son was born. I had been married almost 2 years when I got pregnant, but our son was an *oops*, if planned- I would have been 28/29 when he was born.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    28 #1
    30 #2
    33 #3
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    married at 30
    1st baby 3 months before 31
    2nd 33
    done!
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    #1: two months before I turned 26
    #2: three weeks before I turned 29
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    23! Last monday!

Well the one I know about muahaha
  • spezzie
    spezzie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was 22 when I had my first child ! He will be 30 in march!!!!
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Age now: 54
    Age when married: 24
    Age when first (and only) child was born: 29

I know, everyone thought girls from Georgia got married at 14 and had babies by 15 and had a whole house full!
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    First child: 19
    Second Child: 24
    Spayed: 36 lol
  • MrsPjPitts5
    Options
    Southern California I was 20 when I had my first and I am now 30.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I was 41 years old, my wife 35. They make you do all kinds of extra tests during pregnancy when you are 35+ but we got though it. I say we like the tests were any kind of a burden on ME...
  • famlyluv
    famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    21 and so happy i had my first young. I am now 28 and have two beautiful kids!
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Age now: 26
    Age when first child was born: 21
    Age when second child was born: 25
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was almost 35 when I had my 1st (probably my only!)
  • SlimmingSarah2012
    Options
    I had just turned 21 when I had my first son (not planned pregnancy), had my second son at 27 (planned) with one miscarriage at 26.

Now 29, but I'm surprised at all the people I meet my age that don't have any kids yet. I mean, I know the stars aren't always aligned just right but in the back of my mind I'm thinking tik-tok, after 35 its risky and there's no guarantee that you'll get pregnant right away.

I live in San Antonio, TX but I'm a military brat and have lived all over the world.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was 16 with my first (definitely an ooops), 19 with my second (not an oops), and 30 with my third (also not an oops). I'm currently 43 and have two grandchildren. I can say that there are definite differences between having them younger versus older (some good, some not so good). :smile:
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Age now: 42
    Age when I first got pregnant: 28
    Age when I gave birth: 29
    Age when I gave birth to 3rd (and last) child: 35

But here in Kentucky (where I've relocated), the median age to have your first baby seems to be 12.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, if you live in a deprived area and have no ambition, you end up with a lot of teenage pregnancies. In the UK you get pretty good benefits if you're on a low income and bringing up a child.

Seriously? Way to tar everyone with the same brush, I was brought up in what would be described as a deprived area, I had my son at 21, my sister was 16 when she had her 1st (she is now 27 with 4 children) We have both worked our entire adult lives to provide for our children and do not rely on the benefits system, yet I would say we are in quite low incomes.
    Not everyone wants to milk the system, and it definitely has nothing to do with the area you live, only yesterday I read the story of a journalist and broadcaster who is receiving a very generous income complaining about losing her £20 a week child benefit!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Age now: 35
    Age when I had my 1st baby: 31. 2nd baby: 33

The average age is around 30 in the UK, but there are certain areas where you get a lot of teenage mums. The year I had my daughter there were 2 15 year old girls pregnant at the school I teach in. When I had my son, my 1st, there was a 16 year old having a baby.

I went to university and worked for a few years before having children, and a lot of women are doing that now. On the other hand, if you live in a deprived area and have no ambition, you end up with a lot of teenage pregnancies. In the UK you get pretty good benefits if you're on a low income and bringing up a child.

I think that is a bit of a negative view of what is quite a complex issue. yes there are higher rates of teenage pregnancy in deprived areas and for some it is not about not having ambition as such, as wanting to become a mum is an ambition in its own right. It is more about not having the doors open to further and higher educations due to lack of parent support, poorer schooling in many (though not all) schools in deprived areas, lack of income which impacts not only on education but in realising that there is a world outside that estate that they live on and so much more. Having a baby becomes the one thing that they may be able to achieve in life and their hopes for something better go into that child though often they repeat the cycle their parents started with them.

there are always exceptions of course, those youngsters that do well despite poor beginning and those that have children young but come from educated backgrounds. Personally I had my first son at 19 and he was an accident but I already had 4 A level passes and had always intended to go to uni, which I did when I was 25 and I now work in Adult Education (PGCE qualified) with adults hoping to gain English and Maths qualifications second time around
  • vidald
    vidald Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was 19 and I am now 35! I am still trying to get the baby fat off!
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    38 now, live in Florida.

First was at 27
    Last was 3 days after my 38th birthday.
    There are two in between. :)