Milk or No Milk?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I find drinking cow milk to be pretty odd. Especially since it is designed to nourish baby cows, who gain hundreds of pounds in the first year of their life!! I think the mere fact that there are so many people who are lactose intolerant/ have trouble with milk is a clear sign that it is not good for us.

But how is that even relevant when it does not make us gain hundreds of pounds in a year? And there really are not that many people who are lactose intolerant - I posted the stats a little earlier.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

His is from Wikipedia. WIKIPEDIA. Not some fly by night medical organization. Jeez.

I wasn't giving a study, I was just pointing out why millions of people cannot digest milk. Also, Wikipedia is awesome.

But many more millions can.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's an unnatural food, but not a food adult humans need by any means. As you say, what other adult anything suckles at the teat of a completely different mammal? As such, I don't buy into the dairy propaganda establishing it as a necessary food group. It is only designed to sell product. That said, I do occassionally enjoy cheeses, plain Greek Yogurt, or cottage cheese, but they are not exactly staples. I just realize they are luxury not necessity.
    \
    Check out these pics.
    http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/animals/news-10-incredible-stories-interspecies-nursing?image=9

I posted this on the other thread but as the OP decided to try to rehash the same argument I am reposting the link here.
  • mag2906
    mag2906 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well, there are actually breast milk banks so this argument is out.

I think as long as you are not lactose intolerant, a little bit of milk shouldn't harm you.
    If you don't like milk - not drinking it shouldn't be much of a problem from nutritional point of view?
    Still, we would find it VERY strange if that child drank breast milk from another human mother even if it was bottled.
  • GoatBoat66
    Options

His is from Wikipedia. WIKIPEDIA. Not some fly by night medical organization. Jeez.

I wasn't giving a study, I was just pointing out why millions of people cannot digest milk. Also, Wikipedia is awesome.

Really? I thought upwards of 90% of Asians were lactose intolerant. Or are we only counting Americans?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Really? I thought upwards of 90% of Asians were lactose intolerant. Or are we only counting Americans?

Did you actually think about this before you typed it?
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a baby, no animal based milk products.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Check out the study I quoted. Only 2% of people of Northern European descent exhibit lactose intolerance for example. In the US only 16% do.

Edited to fix quotes
  • GoatBoat66
    Options

The study she posted pointed out that fewer Americans were lactose intolerant than those that weren't. I am saying that a global study would likely be different because people of Asian descent have higher rates of lactose intolerance than people of European descent.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Milk fight! Yes! Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a problem. My cat goes nuts at the sight of cow milk almost like it's catnip. I tried telling him that the internetz said it was unnatural, but he won't listen. Any idea how I can stop his barbaric behavior?
  • rml_16
    Options

The study she posted pointed out that fewer Americans were lactose intolerant than those that weren't. I am saying that a global study would likely be different because people of Asian descent have higher rates of lactose intolerance than people of European descent.

What you said does not contradict anything. There are millions of people in the world who are not lactose intolerant, as stated. Just because a lot of Asians are doesn't change that fact.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

My understanding is that in Asia, most people would not have had access to cows historically. It would make sense that over time, people would lose the ability to digest it as well.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Why?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When it comes to food, humans do a lot of things that no other species does. Personally, I don't like cow's milk and have never tasted goat or other animal milk. I drink soy and almond milk because I like the taste better.

But I don't see the difference in drinking milk vs. eating foods made from milk like butter, cheese or yogurt. No other species does that either.

I also don’t really understand the herbivore/fat argument, since humans are only herbivores if they choose to be and our bodies need fat.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Why?

She believes in plant based diets after Forks over Knives.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's an unnatural food, but not a food adult humans need by any means. As you say, what other adult anything suckles at the teat of a completely different mammal? As such, I don't buy into the dairy propaganda establishing it as a necessary food group. It is only designed to sell product. That said, I do occassionally enjoy cheeses, plain Greek Yogurt, or cottage cheese, but they are not exactly staples. I just realize they are luxury not necessity.
    \
    Check out these pics.
    http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/animals/news-10-incredible-stories-interspecies-nursing?image=9

I posted this on the other thread but as the OP decided to try to rehash the same argument I am reposting the link here.

I don't think a baby hungry deer trying to nurse on a non-lactating dog really proves very much. A hungry baby will grab anything it thinks might be a teat. I have had my nursing babies try to latch on to dad while he was holding them. They are just looking for food. Especially if they are really hungry, I don't think they would be too particular.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I may never be weaned. I still like my milk and cheese. My current project is to raise milk goats.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Why?

She believes in plant based diets after Forks over Knives.
    Ah. She's a critical thinker, then. ;-)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk (except the occasional chocolate milk and very occasional latte). 1. It contains puss. Can't avoid this. 2. Unless you get organic unpasturized milk you're getting hormones and antibiotics and chemicals. 3. Milk contains so much sugar that despite it being natural sugar it is dangerous to diabetics.

I prefer almond milk. Tastes better, and is easier to find free of chemicals and crap.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    1331494414_photopodborka_017.jpg