which is worse, fat or sugar?

Options
So I am always over on my sugar and I have been trying to work on it. Today I noticed that my protein shake that I love has no sugar but has like 6 grams of fat, and the greek yogurt I like is fat free but has 17 grams of sugar. I just wondered what you guys think, I'm not sure which is worse.

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you want neither go with plain fat free greek yogurt and add berries and stevia.
  • Loseweight1980
    Options
    Whether sugar is good or bad depends on what kind of sugar it is. If you are getting natural sugars, like fruits, milk, etc, then it's ok. You also need fat in order to sustain your body and to tell your body you're full. Take look at whether your sugars are added to the foods or natural, then see if you're still over, might want to cut back if you are.
  • FightingGenetics
    FightingGenetics Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    SUGAR is much WORSE than Fat
  • juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you want neither go with plain fat free greek yogurt and add berries and stevia.
    Good idea!
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'd say sugar, as fat fills you up and can be the type that is good for your heart, whereas sugar turns into bodyfat and is not necessary to live/thrive.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sugar is much worse.

Your body needs fat for brain function, cell renewal, and satiety. As long as the majority of fats that you're eating are the healthy ones :).

Your body doesn't need sugar for anything. Most of what you eat is converted into glucose, and sugar is already glucose, hence why it makes your blood sugar spike; your body doesn't need much energy to digest it.

Also, if you're prone to binges, healthy fats tends to help ward off the urge :)
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sugar is much worse.

Your body needs fat for brain function, cell renewal, and satiety. As long as the majority of fats that you're eating are the healthy ones :).

Your body doesn't need sugar for anything. Most of what you eat is converted into glucose, and sugar is already glucose, hence why it makes your blood sugar spike; your body doesn't need much energy to digest it.

Also, if you're prone to binges, healthy fats tends to help ward off the urge :)

This, exactly. Sugar is way worse.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sugar is much worse.

Are you sure your body doesn't need sugar for anything?
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Sugar is much worse.

Careful where you point that question.... I bet it's loaded. :wink:
  • nickyfm
    Options
    Sugar is much worse.

Not unless you're doing a marathon or something and need immediate energy! Carbs are sugar, just a more complex form. You don't need the literal, simple sugar for every day life is all i'm saying :)
  • Acg67
    Options
    Sugar is much worse.

Not unless you're doing a marathon or something and need immediate energy! Carbs are sugar, just a more complex form. You don't need the literal, simple sugar for every day life is all i'm saying :)

So you'd be perfectly fine with a blood glucose level of 0?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    both are good.
  • nickyfm
    Options
    Sugar is much worse.

Way to take my words and twist them into meaning something else. And I thought I was the journalist here.
    Your body converts a huge percentage of what you eat into glucose. So your body CONVERTS IT INTO SUGAR ITSELF. You don't need to eat literal sugar. It's adorable that you're trolling and trying to start fights though.
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    sugar
  • roseofhope
    Options
    what they are saying is true you get glucose from almost anything you dont need to add sugar to anything to maintain a healthy blood sugar. hence the reason diabetics have to go on artificial sugar if they WANT it and watch their carb intake!
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    Neither in moderate amounts or in appropriate forms.

i.e. healthy fats vs non-healthy fats and fruit sugars vs added/candy sugars
  • Acg67
    Options
    Sugar is much worse.

Way to take my words and twist them into meaning something else. And I thought I was the journalist here.
    Your body converts a huge percentage of what you eat into glucose. So your body CONVERTS IT INTO SUGAR ITSELF. You don't need to eat literal sugar. It's adorable that you're trolling and trying to start fights though.

"Your body doesn't need sugar for anything"

So who is twisting words, what does that mean exactly, either your body does or does not need sugar.
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Moderation! Can't be without either one..
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a health condition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Depends on what fits into your calorie target and macros

ETA: unless you have a medical condition, there is no point tracking sugar - just track carbs (of which sugar is a subset of)