What did you do with your wedding dress?

Options

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Kept it. I wore it on our 30th anniversary.
  • Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I still have mine, it's in a bag in the garage. I never had it cleaned. We've been married 10 years last May.

I'm going to wear it in the next Run For Your Lives, as a zombie. My husband is completely on board with this idea.
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had mine cleaned and it's in a garment bag in my hope chest. I have three little boys and no daughter yet... but I just can't get rid of it!!! :) I'll probably keep it forever. It's beautiful.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Professionally cleaned and listed on ebay within a month of wearing it - sold for 90% of what I paid! *winning*
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Since I had a son who, not being a cross dresser, would likely not wear my dress at his wedding, I stuck it in the closet where it stayed for 10 years. Until the daughter of a friend of mine, who, like most of us at some time in our life, is at the low end of the income spectrum, mentioned that she was getting married and was looking for an affordable dress.

She looked at website after website, catalog after magazine, drooling over dresses, resigned to not having something fabulous or truly special. I found out that she wanted a fairy tale wedding on a shoestring budget. I asked her size and she said she was a size 16. So I told her I had a dress in a size 18, maybe if she liked it, she could get it altered and get married in it. So she came over, tried it on, and it fit like a glove (except for the boobs - I have a lot, her not so much, lol).

She looked like a dream and said she felt like a princess. She said she had wanted to get a fabulous dress, but knew she couldn't afford it. She never thought she'd have something so awesome as my dress. With that, I grabbed the tiara, veil, and crinoline and told her it was all free and that I couldn't wait to see her walk down the aisle in it.

So I'm anticipating her wedding next year so I can see that dress make someone else feel like the most beautiful girl in the world on the most special day of her life.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I had mine for 35 years. When I first got it cleaned the dress came back with a very slight pinkish tone. I think they cleaned it with some of my bridesmaids' dresses. Over the years the lace trim yellowed badly. When we decided to move across Canada from a large house to a very small basement apartment it was finally time to part with it. It went to Goodwill.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'd love to donate mine. I'd prefer to directly give it to someone who needs it though.
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    I had two. One for ceremony and one for trashing the next day. The trashing one was bought on craigslist and after having it cleaned, was sold. I've posted my ceremony dress but had no takers. Its an asymmetrical dress (tea length in front, long in back) and I had a hot pink corset back put in. It will probably hang there for a long time, unless my niece decides she needs it.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    In the garment bag in the closet. never had it cleaned. it's been 10 years. i suppose one of these days i'll do something with it
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    My Dearly Beloved rented her dress and based on the responses here, sounds like that was the right call! Far nicer dress than we could afford at the time as well.
  • lvdesertdiva
    lvdesertdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mine is still hanging in my closet, almost 10 yrs. I'm having mine made into a baby quilt for my first granddaughter - due March 21st!
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Seriously, though, I donated mine to a program here in my town called The Breast Dress. All of the money made when they sell the gowns is donated to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.

<3 This project was started by my friend Jamie. Thank you for supporting it - not only for breast cancer research but Jamie as well with the joy the project brought to her during her own cancer battle.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I made my wedding dress. Kept it through 3 moves and on the fourth move 6 years later, gave it to a charity along with all the other clothes that were too small and that I never wore any longer. I made an angel for the top of our Christmas tree with remnants from the dress making. I wish now that I'd saved it. I think at the time I was going through a "mad at my husband phase". lol.

My Mom had an ivory satin gown that she kept forever. As teens, my sisters and I used to take it down from her closet and Ooh and Aah over it. It was truely gorgeous. I have 5 sisters. None of us were small enough to wear the dress at our weddings. But the oldest grandaughter in the family wanted to wear it. It was a bit too big for her so it was altered to fit. I wonder if she still has it.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Mine was a gift from a friend who called off her wedding the day before, at first I was very anxious about wearing it but evetually decided to have it slighly altered and wore it ( worried about it being bad luck). I have been happily married for more than 20 years. Passed the dress along to another friend as of now other than the original bride 9 friends have worn it each one of us altered it slightly and amazing as it is we are all still happily married. Sewed a small tag inside with our first names and wedding date and we all did that as it was passed along. We have sent each other anniversary cards along the way. Well traveled dress it is it started in Pennsylvania, USA. Has been to Spain, London, Australia, Bahamas and back home to the USA to end up in Las Vegas Nevada.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Lots of great stories and ideas.

I found this charity too
    http://www.thebridesproject.com/about/beneficiaries

Although, like a PP said, I'd like to give it to someone directly. But I do like the charity above encourages you to write a note.

The thing I worry about with the dress is even though I tried not to get a current style, it did ended up being the "current" fashion. Its not really a timeless style. I think it will quickly become outdated so if I save it, less likely someone will want it.

To the poster who said that very few daughters wear their moms dress, I get that. My mom and I are total opposite body shape.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Seriously, though, I donated mine to a program here in my town called The Breast Dress. All of the money made when they sell the gowns is donated to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.

<3 This project was started by my friend Jamie. Thank you for supporting it - not only for breast cancer research but Jamie as well with the joy the project brought to her during her own cancer battle.

Their website says they aren't accepting new inventory right now :(
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's crumpled up on the floor of our closet where it's been since we got married.....3 years ago :laugh:

I've been married 1 1/2 years and that's exactly where mine is too. :laugh: I am happy that it is too big for me now. :drinker:
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Mine has survived multiple house moves and even a house fire. And now that I can fit into it again, I am planning to wear it when my husband and I renew our vows, probably on our 30th anniversary in 2014 - although it may be a bit big by then!

PS My Mum made my dress, so extra sentimental value there!

^ That is really beautiful that your Mother loved you so much to make a dress for you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Stored in the store I bought it from. I never wore it LOL. I decided I wasn't one for big fancy weddings or even wearing a wedding dress. Got married in a Catholic church with regular clothes on. Still happily married.