Do you think milk is safe?

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    so the fat in milk is healthy?

http://caloriecount.about.com/saturated-fat-facts-nf606

Tell me more about how healthy saturated fat is.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/does-dietary-saturated-fat-increase.html

We can quote rubbish off the internet all day.

I actually saw one study quoted on here the other day that showed a greater increase in the blood cholesterol of subjects on a low-fat diet. People who consumed a range of fats actually had lower cholesterol - so what's your point?

Dietary science is - how shall I put this diplomatically? - extremely iffy.... there are a handful of conflicting studies, that were done under limited scope which have now become the basis for 99% of crap talked on the internet. Just ignore them and get on with living your life.....

Want some real advice? Eat a balanced diet (that includes fats), exercise well and eat at a slight calorific deficit and you'll lose weight and like the body/internal organs you're left with after you're done. There's no real magic involved!

Well said!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have milk in my coffee every day. I try to avoid milk produced with Recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH). Not enough is known about it.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    As much as I would love to give my opinion on this... I don't have the time or the energy for the backlash that will come from it as has happened the last time I entered one of these discussions... Honestly when it comes to something like this, your best option is going to be to study it for yourself and decide what you think is right. All you are getting on here is 85% bs arguments from people who "know everything", 13% people who just like making smartash comments, and about 2% of people who have actually bothered to research the topic from indifferent resources... Best of luck...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    lactose intolerance stats

Lactose Intolerant Statistics
    Total percentage of people who are lactose intolerant 33%
    Total percentage of adults that have a decrease in lactase activity 75%
    Total percentage of people who maintain ability to digest lactose after childhood 40%
    Total number of Americans who are lactose intolerant 40 million
    Total percent of all African-American, Jewish, Mexican-American, and Native American Adults who are lactose intolerant 75%
    Total percent of Asian-Americans that are lactose intolerant 90%
    Average amount of time it takes for side effects of lactose intolerance to occur after intake 30 min

As you can see only about 40% of people don't have lactose intolerance.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/lactose-intolerance-statistics/

Where did you get 60% from? The first line states "Total percentage of people who are lactose intolerant 33%"
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Actually, it is a common misconception that cow's milk, as it comes from the cow, is full of fat. Whole milk, 2%, and 1% all have added fat. Nonfat milk has no added fat.

Ummmm.... no. Raw cow's milk contains approx 5% fat. Milk does not contain added fat.

I am a chemist who has worked in the lab in a dairy plant and now test raw milk for the regulatory agency in Canada (for 18 years - I'm not new to this :smile: ). 1%, 2% and "whole" milk (3.5% fat - called homogenized here in Canada), are all "partly skimmed". Non-fat milk is fully skimmed. Doesn't matter which country we're talking about; cows are cows :wink:

Before homogenizing, raw milk separates and the fat rises to the top, much in the way oil floats on water, as any daiy farmer can attest to. The fat can then be skimmed off and used to make cheese, cream, butter, and other high-fat dairy products. The only thing that is removed in the skimming process is the fat and anything that dissolves in the fat. This includes things like fat-soluble vitamins (most specifically A & D), but also fat-soluble undesirables like dioxin and PCB residues, which are present in the environment (always have been to some degree) and are present in fatty substances in most living beings. All protein and water-soluble vitamins are still present after skimming. In Canada, dairies add vitamins A & D back into our milk - that is the ONLY thing that is added to regular white milk of any fat content.

I can't speak to the rBGH issue, as in Canada, we do not use it. Our lab that tests hormones does not find hormones in Canadian milk, but I am not familiar with the American or UK results at this time. Same goes for antibiotics - we don't find any in Canadian milk - as long as the farmers follow the withdrawl times for the medications required by the cattle for their good health, the antibiotics clear the cow's system and the milk is again antibiotic-free.

I personally love dairy foods, and I drink skim milk almost daily, especially on my Cheerios :happy: . If you are lactose intolerant, don't consume it. I am one of the lucky ones who can. Saying that because some people are lactose intolerant means all people shouldn't have it is like saying that because some people can't eat nuts means they must be bad for everyone: ridiculous :laugh:
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Butter is a milk product. Keep in mind that I didn't say that cow's milk did not have fat. What I said was that anything that is not nonfat/skim milk has added fat.

That's only because they skim -all- the milk and then add some of the cream (fat) back, before they homogenize it. Otherwise it would be nearly much more difficult to tell if milk was 2%, given the variability of milk fat percentages naturally. All the milk comes in to the processing plant, aggregated from many different farms with many different cows, and it all goes through one processing line to be pasteurized. It's all skimmed, and the cream is used to make cream and butter, and then portions of it are returned to the whole milk and 2% milk before mechanically homogenizing them and bottling them.

Well Said! I hadn't seen your reply when I posted, but this absolutely completes my rant :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Saturated fat is healthy. :bigsmile:

It's best to have a mix of various fats, in order to get all the amino acids your body needs.

If saturated fat is so healthy where are there no daily recommendations of it?

The problem with saturated fat is that there are many different types of fatty acids, some of which are beneficial some of which are not. For example, milk contains lauric acid which had been shown to have high HDLs - which is a good thing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    lactose intolerance stats

Lactose Intolerant Statistics
    Total percentage of people who are lactose intolerant 33%
    Total percentage of adults that have a decrease in lactase activity 75%
    Total percentage of people who maintain ability to digest lactose after childhood 40%
    Total number of Americans who are lactose intolerant 40 million
    Total percent of all African-American, Jewish, Mexican-American, and Native American Adults who are lactose intolerant 75%
    Total percent of Asian-Americans that are lactose intolerant 90%
    Average amount of time it takes for side effects of lactose intolerance to occur after intake 30 min

As you can see only about 40% of people don't have lactose intolerance.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/lactose-intolerance-statistics/

Funny you use that site for information. I found this there:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/11/051108083832.htm

"A Fatty Acid Found In Milk May Help Control Inflammatory Diseases"

The point is, if you are not lactose intolerant, I have yet to see anything that supports that, on balance, milk is detrimental to health.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think milk is as safe for most people.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And why do you assume that all people here are from US and refer to the science done only in US?

BTW you should be more proud at the scientists over there. They have done awesome job!

I don't know if other countries, other than the UK, even have "government-recommended" daily allowances. I *love* our scientists, just not the bureaucrats who choose to ignore their findings. The cannabis hemp plant is the quintessential example of how the U.S. government chooses to ignore science in favor of "popular" public policy. Other countries actually allow research on the plant and are far ahead of the U.S. in that field, especially Spain.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Saturated fat is healthy. :bigsmile:

It's best to have a mix of various fats, in order to get all the amino acids your body needs.

If saturated fat is so healthy where are there no daily recommendations of it?

I feel sorry for anyone who trusts the U.S. Government, especially when it comes to health. Science is politically incorrect, ergo, public policy often contradicts science.

This is one of those areas where a little bit of truth can be dangerous. The push by the government and many doctors is to try in steer people in the right direction because many people will hold onto a little information and run with it to an unintended degree. There is evidence that humans do need some saturated fat in their diet but most Americans get way too much.

I think that most doctors actually push for health, while bureaucrats tend to push whatever the prevailing public policy is at the time. (ETA: Or the public policy being pushed by their favorite political party.)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have an issue with dairy. I cut it out, reintroduced, cut it out again, and re introduced again....I did'nt notice a difference, so I've been having delicious full fat, organic dairy as part of how I eat.

I get how dairy is weird, I mean, drinking other animals milk is a bit creepy, but I dont think its 'unsafe' unless youre drinking utter rubbish, or have a problem with lactose/dairy in general.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Of the many misconceptions in this thread, the most repeated and dangerous is that additional hormones (rBGH) is the source of the problem regarding the hormone content in milk. That's an additional factor. However, what studies show is that the conditions of modern milk production, the constant milking and continual pregnancy of cows, significantly raises the levels of estrogen and progesterone in milk, at a rate of about 300 times over that found in milk from non-pregnant cows. That includes organic milk.

This does not have zero consequences. People should be informed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Of the many misconceptions in this thread, the most repeated and dangerous is that additional hormones (rBGH) is the source of the problem regarding the hormone content in milk. That's an additional factor. However, what studies show is that the conditions of modern milk production, the constant milking and continual pregnancy of cows, significantly raises the levels of estrogen and progesterone in milk, at a rate of about 300 times over that found in milk from non-pregnant cows. That includes organic milk.

What are those consequences? - it has not been shown from what I can see.

Should it be studied more?...yes.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Well for starters, higher levels of estrogen, progesterone, and GH and IGH in the bloodstream. People should be able to make an informed choice about that for themselves and their dependents.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Well for starters, higher levels of estrogen, progesterone, and GH and IGH in the bloodstream. People should be able to make an informed choice about that for themselves and their dependents.

Sorry, you must have missed my point - what impact does drinking milk have on our health, based on the findings of these studies that you cited, specifically? Does that outweigh the benefits (some of which were noted in the studies you mentioned)?

And I am not saying that this information is not interesting or should be suppressed - I have continually agreed that more studies should be done.

ETA: these higher hormones were NOT found in skim milk when compared to non-mass produced milks. So, if anyone is worried about this specific issue, buy skim or non-mass produced milk.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

If the fact that these animals produce hormones had an impact on our own hormones, then NO animal product would be safe.

Just go vegan, already, and let those of us who aren't afraid of food have our milk!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If all the things that someone claimed caused cancer (cell phones, computers, microwaves, immunizations, milk, water, and on and on and on), there would be about 12 people left on the planet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    We're the only species that drinks another animal's milk

My cat drinks cows milk.

Not naturally (in the wild - part of an animals natural diet) -- your cat drinks it because you give it to him/her. And BTW, most vets would suggest you stop.

Milk4.jpg

The tile floor in this pic leads me to believe that these rats are not in the wild....

They actually are wild. It is from the outside of a temple in India I think.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    oops - double post