Ridiculous serving sizes

Options

Replies

• jefedesalto
    jefedesalto Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The worst I've seen is Campbell's Chunky soup. (I've since noticed this trend a lot, but this was the first place I noticed it.) The soup in question said that a serving was 190 calories and that the can contained "about 2 servings". That would make you think it was 380 calories for the can, right? Wrong. After looking at the grams per serving and the grams contained in the can, it turns out that the can contained 2.2 servings, or 418 calories. That's almost a 40 calorie difference! After looking, it turns out this is a very common practice to make soups, etc. look healthier than they are.

OH YEAH! Also I love the "ABOUT" 2 servings... lol what does this mean? give or take a serving?-
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Here's one for you.

1/4 cup of steel cut oats has the same nutritional value as 1/2 cup of rolled oats.

It's like oatception.

1/4 cup of steel cut oats will make 1 cup cooked oats...ditto for 1/2 cup rolled oats...the rolled oats are already steamed so they absorb less water in cooking...the final product is still a cup of hot oats in a bowl...
  • jefedesalto
    jefedesalto Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    AT THE VERY LEAST, if the package contains more than one serving, it should be resealable. Otherwise, what the heck are we supposed to do with the rest of the product? You SHOULD be able to assume that a non-resealable package of a 'ready-to-eat' product is a single serving and the nutritional info SHOULD be reflected as such.

You don't carry tupperware and ziploc baggies with you everywhere you go?
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I always felt kinda gypped if I thought I found a lower kcal healthy cereal and the serving size was 3/4 cup. but that is nothing compared with 1/4 cup granola.
  • milleyea
    milleyea Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Maruchan Ramen noodles says 1/2 block is one serving.... How do you eat 1/2 block and half a pkg of seasoning??? Once its open ITS OPEN!!!!
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Those tricky granola *kitten*.

This made me giggle!!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Here's one for you.

1/4 cup of steel cut oats has the same nutritional value as 1/2 cup of rolled oats.

It's like oatception.

1/4 cup of steel cut oats will make 1 cup cooked oats...ditto for 1/2 cup rolled oats...the rolled oats are already steamed so they absorb less water in cooking...the final product is still a cup of hot oats in a bowl...

Unless you're baking with it and can't figure out why in the HolyDrOz your calories aren't matching the recipe you found for the awesome muffins. There was a recipe I put together for chocolate muffins yesterday. Spreadsheet showed 160 calories per muffin.. website quoted 116. I was baffled until I just compared labels.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My son picked up what appeared to be a single serve size (16 oz) of Wawa Classic Egg Nog, He figured it was a healthier alternative to sugary soda to go with his sandwich. He saw 180 calories per serving and thought that was pretty good! What he didn't notice is that one bottle is 4 servings worth! So, he chugged down 720 calories of egg nog with his sandwich! (not to mention that was 80g carbs and 36g fat!)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The Microwave soup bowls. Obviously meant to serve 1, and since the container can only be used 1x should be a single serving, but no...it's usually 2! So have to double calories.

Yep this! Who would only eat one serving? Ridiculous!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    AT THE VERY LEAST, if the package contains more than one serving, it should be resealable. Otherwise, what the heck are we supposed to do with the rest of the product? You SHOULD be able to assume that a non-resealable package of a 'ready-to-eat' product is a single serving and the nutritional info SHOULD be reflected as such.

*sigh* I guess I'll to start.
    Actually, I don't really eat that kind of stuff. I was just complaining for everyone else sake. I'm a helper like that. :wink:
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just recently started liking Chinese food, so I looked up the calories after I ate, to fill this out. OMG!!! I was in shock how bad it is for you. I mean you don't see a lot of fat Chinese people.

I worked in China, and *trust me* their food is nothing like what you see at "Chinese restaurants" in America.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of eating a "serving" of prunes once.

7 prunes is not a serving.

7 prunes is a cruel practical joke from the people at the prune factory.

I tried covering a prune in frosting once, figuring everything in frosting is better. This is not true.

I repeat DO NOT PUT FROSTING ON PRUNES, i had a disgusting upchuck of a result.

Ok, this post gave me a huge belly laugh!

On another note, the individually wrapped Sweet One prunes are really good, but they have 25 calories a piece, so I have to be careful or I will blow my sugar allowance for the day. But the fiber is nice!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I went to the Cheesecake factory (Grandma's choice, not mine) and ordered a grilled chicken salad. I took home over half of it and had the leftovers for two more meals. The serving sizes are insane. I used to get the ahi tuna until I discovered it had over 2,000 calories.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I hate ice cream servings!!!

And you all are way too funny.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

Haha thats hilarious!
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    One thing I've been finding lately is that I cannot find any processed foods, either "healthy" or otherwise, which have a low or lower sodium content. I really need to be careful with my intake as I can literally gain 35 lbs overnight due to water weight. I now cook all my own foods from as unprocessed ingredients as I can find, and I don't add salt to anything. I've been finding my tastes are changing. I can sure tell when salt is added, and after my great cookie debacle over the weekend (I made cookies thinking using splenda would bring the calories down enough so I could splurge, only to forget about the fat content...ughh), I feel sick when thinking about eating sweet foods.

I must be doing something right....I've lost nearly 12 lbs in 2 weeks....all I need is a bit of time to pre-cook meals....I cooked a huge pot of healthy butter chicken yesterday....that covered 10 meals!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My son picked up what appeared to be a single serve size (16 oz) of Wawa Classic Egg Nog, He figured it was a healthier alternative to sugary soda to go with his sandwich. He saw 180 calories per serving and thought that was pretty good! What he didn't notice is that one bottle is 4 servings worth! So, he chugged down 720 calories of egg nog with his sandwich! (not to mention that was 80g carbs and 36g fat!)

I used to love egg nog! Now I can't drink it because its not worth the calories/fat/etc.
  • LovelyD500
    Options
    Crystal Light: One "on the go" packet is 2 servings. WTF! Who uses just half of a packet? and what am I supposed to do with the other half once the packet is open? Of course I'm going to use the whole thing. Nevermind, that bottled water is usually 16+ ounces, not 8. Luckily, the WHOLE packet is only 10 calories. Not worth complaining about I suppose, but still STUPID.

Tha'ts funny!
    .. Well, I just put one packet into twice as much water... so in essence, I drink half a packet lol
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

I used to love egg nog! Now I can't drink it because its not worth the calories/fat/etc.

OMG last year when I started MFP, I thought hey lets have some egg nog, turns out like 1/4 of a cup is 180 cals, OUCH!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Here's one for you.

It's like oatception.

Unless you're baking with it and can't figure out why in the HolyDrOz your calories aren't matching the recipe you found for the awesome muffins. There was a recipe I put together for chocolate muffins yesterday. Spreadsheet showed 160 calories per muffin.. website quoted 116. I was baffled until I just compared labels.

You could soak the steel cut oats in 1/2 cup water overnight...then you would have 1/2 cup oats without more calories and I bet the muffins would be extra moist and yummy...and I hope your wife or girlfriend gives you extra bonus points for baking!!!