Do you think milk is safe?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The combination of milk and strength training has been shown to cause significant muscular inflammation.

I quoted this before, so apologies for repeating, but it has been shown to be of possible benefit, at least in women,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23075559

"Overall, RE and milk/dairy consumption positively impact body composition in women by promoting losses in fat, gains or maintenance of lean mass and preservation of bone."
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    To the original question, I'd have to see a definition of "safe" before I decided whether to laugh so hard it killed me, or just laugh until I cried.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    there's nothing to really suggest that hormones and the like end up in milk. Many major dairies don't even give their cows hormones anymore anyway.

Cows are animals.

They make hormones.

The hormones are in milk.

Doesn't matter if a cow was injected with extra hormones are not, there is no such thing as hormone free dairy cow.

And yet you have yet to show any evidence that shows a causation of any negative health issues. In fact, the series of studies you brought up shows health benefits.

I think you're confusing me with someone else.

If you'd like a photo of what happens in the bathroom if I do have dairy I'd post but I'd probably get banned for life, the same if I posted some lovely photos of snot that I get if I have a dairy. I could dig around and find a pre-dairy-free pic of oily skin and acne though maybe.

You are correct I did get you mixed up - you quoted my post earlier which was responding to a different poster.

You have an intolerance - that is not nice for you at all. But that does not mean that milk is bad for the rest of the population who are not intolerant should avoid it, unless you can come up with a credible source that shows negative health benefits for those peeps.

Edited for typos.

What do you consider "credible"
    What would a "credible" source even prove to you?

I mean I could post a source that says according to such and such study by such and such university that causes say cancer or bowl obstruction, whatever, and then what would your response be?

Likely one of these:

1. I don't care because anything is bad for you these days
    2. Well that's just one study...
    3. counter with another study.

Not looking to play ring around the rosie. This happens on every post like this. People ask for facts and they answer in one of three ways. If the op would like some source I'll be happy to provide them with some, but it appears to likely have been a troll as they haven't returned. If you want to eat dairy, be my guest, I'm not saying you shouldn't, it's not going to affect my body. While I don't believe people should consume dairy from another animal (who knows why we started doing that anyway), and while I believe it's cruel, I'm not telling you or anyone not to eat it. But I know what I've read about it and what I've experienced first hand. Believe it or not I used to eat lots of dairy. It took me realizing it was making me sick for me to stop,
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I live on my husband's family dairy farm and we are an organic dairy in the pacific northwest. Now I work in town so I dont help out on the farm at all so I am not going to pretend I know much. But I do know there are boat load of requirements out there to make sure the milk you drink is safe (organic or regular). All the milk that goes out is tested to make sure it is safe. Furthermore, with organic milk there are no hormones in the cows whatsoever.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    there's nothing to really suggest that hormones and the like end up in milk. Many major dairies don't even give their cows hormones anymore anyway.

Cows are animals.

They make hormones.

The hormones are in milk.

Doesn't matter if a cow was injected with extra hormones are not, there is no such thing as hormone free dairy cow.

And yet you have yet to show any evidence that shows a causation of any negative health issues. In fact, the series of studies you brought up shows health benefits.

I think you're confusing me with someone else.

If you'd like a photo of what happens in the bathroom if I do have dairy I'd post but I'd probably get banned for life, the same if I posted some lovely photos of snot that I get if I have a dairy. I could dig around and find a pre-dairy-free pic of oily skin and acne though maybe.

You are correct I did get you mixed up - you quoted my post earlier which was responding to a different poster.

You have an intolerance - that is not nice for you at all. But that does not mean that milk is bad for the rest of the population who are not intolerant should avoid it, unless you can come up with a credible source that shows negative health benefits for those peeps.

Edited for typos.

What do you consider "credible"
    What would a "credible" source even prove to you?

I mean I could post a source that says according to such and such study by such and such university that causes say cancer or bowl obstruction, whatever, and then what would your response be?

Likely one of these:

1. I don't care because anything is bad for you these days
    2. Well that's just one study...
    3. counter with another study.

Not looking to play ring around the rosie. This happens on every post like this. People ask for facts and they answer in one of three ways. If the op would like some source I'll be happy to provide them with some, but it appears to likely have been a troll as they haven't returned. If you want to eat dairy, be my guest, I'm not saying you shouldn't, it's not going to affect my body. While I don't believe people should consume dairy from another animal (who knows why we started doing that anyway), and while I believe it's cruel, I'm not telling you or anyone not to eat it. But I know what I've read about it and what I've experienced first hand. Believe it or not I used to eat lots of dairy. It took me realizing it was making me sick for me to stop,

Credible = peer reviewed studies that actually indicate a possible negative impact. Yes, you will often (but not always) get conflicting studies, but at least providing them can help make informed decisions without the hyperbole.
  • alliwithaneye
    alliwithaneye Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    To the OP questions... no I do not think cows milk is safe and I also think it is gross. (china study eh?) When I see someone chugging cows milk I just want to hurl... *shudders* Cows milk is for the baby cows. Human milk is for the baby humans. I'm all for almond milk, soy milk and coconut milk though... yummy stuff there. If someone else enjoys it though, I'm not going to rag on them about it...
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    To the OP questions... no I do not think cows milk is safe and I also think it is gross. (china study eh?) When I see someone chugging cows milk I just want to hurl... *shudders* Cows milk is for the baby cows. Human milk is for the baby humans. I'm all for almond milk, soy milk and coconut milk though... yummy stuff there. If someone else enjoys it though, I'm not going to rag on them about it...

You clearly did not read through the replies, so I will repost what has been said about the China Study. My nutrition epidemiology professor used it in class to teach us the issues of bias and confounding variables that invalidate studies. Those in the nutrition science community view it as heavily flawed.
    Ok, the China Study has been invalidated many, many times, due to many rather glaring scientific errors. Correlation vs causation issues, studying one specific subset of people and trying to extrapolate to others, cherry picking data, failing to properly control for variables, and on and on. It's an interesting read, but useless to draw any real conclusions.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    ''Everybody is overreacting,'' Mrs. Child said. ''If fear of food continues, it will be the death of gastronomy in the United States. Fortunately, the French don't suffer from the same hysteria we do.'' ''We should enjoy food and have fun,'' Mrs. Child insisted. ''It is one of the simplest and nicest pleasures in life.''

Mrs. Child recalled that when she began her mission of bringing French cooking into American kitchens nearly 30 years ago, ''no one cared'' about what food might do to one's health. ''Those were halcyon days,'' she said. ''You could eat anything you wanted. I remember a wonderful recipe for spinach. You put in as much butter as the spinach could possibly hold.''

No more. Today, nutrition has ''reared its ugly head,'' she said, and cholesterol has ''become a trendy word.'' People are so fearful of what they eat, Mrs. Child observed, ''they are no longer enjoying food the way they once did, and the dinner table is becoming a trap rather than a pleasure.''
    Quote from - etoiles_argen

I believe most of us are on this website because we didn't care about what we ate, and put as much butter in spinach that it could possibly hold. Those things had side effects on us that are, diabetes, HIGH cholesterol, heart attacks, etc... Don't know how this was supposed to help but if I ate like Julia Child's wisdom states, I'd be back where I started, unhealthy, unhappy, and on my way to diabetes.

Live how you'd like, food doesn't scare me.

then why are you on MFP? just curious.

My FITNESS pal?

Its the #1 calorie counting and food logging website. Not the #1 FITNESS website. It doesnt even log fitness correctly... So my question was why are you on a food logging website if you dont care about what you eat?
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I did switch my milk for almond milk and coconut I don't miss milk at all :drinker: lol
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Its the #1 calorie counting and food logging website. Not the #1 FITNESS website. It doesnt even log fitness correctly... So my question was why are you on a food logging website if you dont care about what you eat?

It doesn't log fitness. YOU log fitness. Treadmills, HRM, website calorie calculators are all inaccurate to some degree. So what?

Just a FYI, this website logs calories in vs calories out, not whether something is carcinogenic or causes allergies. Food and exercise all go into the mix as to whether you've exceeded or undershot your TDEE.... whether milk causes cancer or makes you shoot snot out of your nose, does not.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    No....I don't. After a lot of research, I don't eat dairy. I'm sure this is controversial, but I've done my homework.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Rats don't produce very much and tigers eat people. Not good qualities in a dairy animal.

Post of the thread - easily!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Because the fear is eating TOO much! I'm not exactly clear on how MyFitnessPal is supposed to protect me from deadly carcinogenic hormone-filled milk at any rate.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Because the fear is eating TOO much! I'm not exactly clear on how MyFitnessPal is supposed to protect me from deadly carcinogenic hormone-filled milk at any rate.

I track carcinogens in my diary. I thought everyone did.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

post hoc ergo propter hoc
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I'd slaughter every cow and farmer out there if I couldnt have my cheese.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Organic milk is a perfectly good food for those of us with the evolved ability to digest it--only about 30% of the world's population has this ability into adulthood.
  • killingtheantagonist
    Options
    Well I like milk and pretty much any dairy, so I could care less.
    If I'm gonna die, why not die happy with yummy cheese in my belly?

The thing is there's always gonna be 2 sides to everything.
    Some people are gonna be against and others are gonna be for it.
    Ignore what other people are saying(when it's pretty skeptical) and just make your own decision.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Get dairy that has no hormones added. This is an easy problem.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Organic milk is a perfectly good food for those of us with the evolved ability to digest it--only about 30% of the world's population has this ability into adulthood.

Sources...or you could always look at the prior posts and see this is incorrect.