Do you think milk is safe?

Options

Replies

• Scotland_forever
    Scotland_forever Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had a man blame me when his father died of cancer a year after I sold a dairy goat to him. Please stop perpetrating this stuff! People hear things from somewhere, tell other people approximate details, it gets distorted, and people like ^him^ result.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I had a man blame me when his father died of cancer a year after I sold a dairy goat to him. Please stop perpetrating this stuff! People hear things from somewhere, tell other people approximate details, it gets distorted, and people like ^him^ result.

Cows cause cancer.. see

moo_cow_smoking_by_tRuCciE.jpg
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I track carcinogens in my diary. I thought everyone did.

Damn, I must of missed that macro setting:

Protein.... check!
    Carbs.... check!
    Carcinogens..... check!
    Fat....... check!

Now my diet is well rounded and balanced........
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Technically our bodies inability to kill a harmed cell/group of cells is what eventually leads to cancer...not what actually causes the harm.

Our bodies spontaneously screw up during DNA replication and can theoretically cause cancer with no outside insult needed.

Cancer is a tough bugger to crack and pin down a "cause".
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Organic milk is a perfectly good food for those of us with the evolved ability to digest it--only about 30% of the world's population has this ability into adulthood.

Sources...or you could always look at the prior posts and see this is incorrect.

Sources for what? My claim that milk is a perfectly good food or my claim that only 30% of adults retain the ability to digest it? Those are straight out of the nutrition text books.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I just heard about a very chubby 9-year old's visit to the pediatrician. Her mother was concerned because her breasts were developing. Pediatrician said it was milk hormones. I'm thinking it's McDonald's.

I think you're right....I drank milk with every meal as a child and I still don't have breasts :)
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Ten things that will poison you, according to alarmists:
    Turning on your A/C in a hot car.
    Reusing water bottles.
    Eating raw cookie dough.
    Drinking from a water hose.
    Milk (but somehow not cheese/ice cream/yogurt)
    Sunlight.
    Deodorant.
    Soy.
    Meat/fish.
    Vegetables.

Basically-we're all screwed. Which is fine by me-nobody lives forever.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Basically-we're all screwed. Which is fine by me-nobody lives forever.

I'm hoping to be the first person who manages it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Organic milk is a perfectly good food for those of us with the evolved ability to digest it--only about 30% of the world's population has this ability into adulthood.

Sources...or you could always look at the prior posts and see this is incorrect.

Sources for what? My claim that milk is a perfectly good food or my claim that only 30% of adults retain the ability to digest it? Those are straight out of the nutrition text books.

The 30% claim. As I say - check out the actually cited stats.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

How about you do it for us since you seem so adamant that its not true? Obviously the authors of her textbook have it cited.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

How about you do it for us since you seem so adamant that its not true? Obviously the authors of her textbook have it cited.

How about because she didn't make the fcking claim?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Lolz - you are tooooo funny - you posted a study yourself that showed it not to be true, which by the way, you never got back to me on when I pulled you up on making an incorrect assertion based on it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Lolz - you are tooooo funny - you posted a study yourself that showed it not to be true, which by the way, you never got back to me on when I pulled you up on making an incorrect assertion based on it.

Just as I thought, you don't know either.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Have fun calling everyone on the internetz wrong. You must have a fantastic life.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/2/600.full

"Surprisingly, one-third of the 29 subjects diagnosed by us as lactose maldigesters had no clinically significant gastrointestinal symptoms for 3 h after ingesting 50 g lactose. At the same time, one-fourth of the 39 lactose digesters experienced clinically significant gastrointestinal symptoms after ingesting the same amount of lactose. However, the gastrointestinal symptoms differed between the lactose maldigesters and the digesters."

(in other words, "lactose intolerant" is a complicated and difficult thing to diagnose)
  • opus649
    Options
    http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_2/165S.full

"In general, it can be stated that about two thirds of the world adult population is lactase non-persistent."
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/2/600.full

"Surprisingly, one-third of the 29 subjects diagnosed by us as lactose maldigesters had no clinically significant gastrointestinal symptoms for 3 h after ingesting 50 g lactose. At the same time, one-fourth of the 39 lactose digesters experienced clinically significant gastrointestinal symptoms after ingesting the same amount of lactose. However, the gastrointestinal symptoms differed between the lactose maldigesters and the digesters."

(in other words, "lactose intolerant" is a complicated and difficult thing to diagnose)

yeah, I just call it ammo and don't complain...
  • opus649
    Options
    yeah, I just call it ammo and don't complain...

The best part is when they start talking about flatulence....