1200 calories = more likely to have problems?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Another MFP thread where somebody is claiming to know everything about nothing.
    Like ^
    And another MFP thread that seems to focus on just plain being unsupportive. If you are really concerned with people eating at 1200 calories why not just nicely provide the information instead of starting (what seems to me to be ) a snarky thread. There are a lot of new members everyday at MFP who start out eating 1200 calories because that is where MFP puts them at. Netting 1200 is not a horrible place to start if you are a small female. Likely even those eating 1200 are actually eating more since MFP underestimates calories and over estimates workout calories burned. It probably isn't where everyone should stay, but I think it is fine to start just see how it goes and then up calories from there.

I am very grateful for all of the information people provide here, especially Dan's hard work (he should probably get paid by MFP). So the value of the central theme is not lost on me. And I am not trying to bash the OP I just feel that if this is really coming from a place of compassion there is a better (and more patient + understanding) way to go about it. We are all looking to get healthier and this is supposed to be a supportive place.

Really? So now we not only have the fallacy of the One True Way for dieting, we also have the One True Way for appropriate posts to show true compassion?

Fortunately, many (most?) people understand that there is more than one way to convey a message...that, while not always the case, sometimes a "snarky" response is not only an effective means, but is also precisely what some need.

And to be clear, it is obvious to me that we are *not* all looking to "get healthier" here. Many have clearly established their goal to be skinnier at all costs (and often with an arbitrary deadline), or at least at a higher priority than their health.

I apologize if you can't see the support in my post, but I can assure you it is there.
  • penith113
    penith113 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You don't understand how hard it is to eat 1,200 calories. I do it all the time* and I'm sooooooo full.

*for lunch

Hahaha Love It!
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i did 6 days on 1200-1300 calories-hard time staying under-and only lost a few ounces. i lose weight faster when i eat 1600-1700. but thats just me
  • musiqueange
    musiqueange Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 for the first month but I discovered I was consistently over by 200 or so calories a day so I upped it to 1300. I've been doing that for a few weeks now and haven't had a problem. :)
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 and I figured out pretty quickly that on the days I exercise it's fine, because I eat back the calories. On the days I don't exercise, I would starve if I stayed with 1200. So I don't. I actually posted a question in one of the forums asking if anyone else had trouble staying within 1200 calories on rest days but I didn't get any responses. So I just decided to go over on those days :) Works for me!
  • jess_purple412
    Options
    your body can run on 1200 but only if you aren't exercising. if you are working out daily and have a limit of 1200 calories thats why they want you to eat back the calories because your body need fuel to function. if your do not eat at least half of the calories you burned your body will go into starvation mode, hence why you may not be loosing any weight. hope this helps!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You don't understand how hard it is to eat 1,200 calories. I do it all the time* and I'm sooooooo full.

*for lunch

hahaha I love it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know if 1200 calories = the most problems, but I do think that since the vast majority of people first join MFP and want the weight gone ASAP, so they select 2 pounds a week and get 1200 calories.

So if most of the members start on 1200, then most of the people with problems are going to be on 1200. Just a law of averages.
  • SammyLou28
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and manage just fine. I wouldn't stay on it for the rest of my life, but until I reach my goal weight it is not a problem.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 and I figured out pretty quickly that on the days I exercise it's fine, because I eat back the calories. On the days I don't exercise, I would starve if I stayed with 1200. So I don't. I actually posted a question in one of the forums asking if anyone else had trouble staying within 1200 calories on rest days but I didn't get any responses. So I just decided to go over on those days :) Works for me!

Yeah, it's not necessary to eat the same number of calories every day. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way, but it's not necesary. As long as you keep a calorie deficit on average you'll lose fat.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    It's tough to go on such a restricted diet when you are so used to eating sooooo much. So, of course there will be a lot of complaints and feeling hungry. I, however, wasn't too far off normally, so it's been fairly easy for me. I still snack and eat some of the things I want, but I make sacrifices in other areas if that's the case. I had a hard time at first because I was used to eating closer to 2000 calories a day. Now I'm just kind of used to this 1200 calorie thing. People just need to fight to get what they want. (Yes, I know, easier said than done....but if there's a will, there's a way.)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I haven't had too much of a problem doing this but then again I have always been the guy who eats really slow small meals and does that a couple times a day. I just spread all my food out and make sure to put fruits and veggies in there and it keeps me full and happy. I have cravings for more food every now and then but I just convince myself that it isn't actual hunger and just be wanting to indulge.

It's actual hunger. Dudes aren't supposed to eat 1,200 cals a day.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are eating/what you are choosing to do with your 1200 calories. I know for myself, it forces me to make better choices. If I had more calories, I'd most likely have more treats with my extra calories.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's not necessary to eat the same number of calories every day. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way, but it's not necesary. As long as you keep a calorie deficit on average you'll lose fat.

Good to know! I actually have a rule: hunger between meals or snacks = ok. Famished between meals or snacks or light-headed while exercising = not ok. I know that I eat healthy and exercise so I trust my body on these signals.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    1200 is actually what works for me. If I want to see results, I have to go down to 1200 calories per day. It's hard, but it's worth it!

According to your profile, you gained the weight back again after you lost it. So therefore I would disagree that 1200 calories per day worked well for you. Had you gone about things differently, the weight may have not come back so easily.

At 18 y/o's, you way to young to already be yo-yo dieting! Instead of doing crash 1200 calorie per day diets, make sustainable lifestyle changes. Still go ahead and log your food, but don't worry about setting such a low calorie goal. Instead eat at a more reasonable amount for slower weight loss, making sure to get plenty of real whole foods and high quality protein.

And above all, get into the habit of exercising now! It's the number one factor that predicts maintenence of weight loss (at least according to HBO documentaries).
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am/was so obsessed with how I needed to lose weight. Every time I saw something I wanted I said "no, I shouldn't, I'm too fat" and deprived myself. I was barely eating anything and then would binge after. It was bad. I'd lose weight, gain it, lose it gain it, annoying!

Jumped onto MFP and said, ok! I am going to track everything and do this! MFP put me at 1200 calories straight away (like it does almost everyone) that I was desperately logging all exercise so I could eat. I had Run Keeper running on my cellphone for every errand I did!

Then I discovered
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Upped my calories to 1880 (no eating back exercise calories though! so I don't log my exercise) via suggestion on numbers, (math is not my friend) by Helloitsdan. I feel a ton better! Ive actually started losing weight whereas it didn't budge forever! (or only went up)

Eating less than about1200 calories was making me constantly headachy (I get headaches if I dont eat) and grumpy. I had been doing it unintentionally for years! YEARS and the scale never moved! When i started exercising it only went UP (go figure I started gaining muscle that I didn't have any more from barely eating)

I also find eating more much more reasonable and sustainable. Because I eat my mind is less occupied by thoughts of food (if that makes sense?) I'm actually NOT hungry and don't feel like I have to have something all time time and argue with myself. I generally eat anywhere between 1300 - 1600 on average calories a day by myself. By eating WHAT I WANT, WHEN I WANT... I just don't have that same crazy binge feeling all the time (that made me eat lots of bad sugary things all the time) and I'm WAY less tired than I used to be.

As for exercise? Right now I am honestly doing a lot of sitting on my *kitten* all day playing Skyrim (that's a video game for those who don't know) and I'm losing weight eating more. Crazy stuff.

I wouldn't recommend anyone stick only to the 1200 calories unless they are very short or have other special dietary needs. But that is just my thoughts from my experience... some people do it and claim it worked miracles for them *shrug* I think you have to find what works for you a bit as well.
  • Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am/was so obsessed with how I needed to lose weight. Every time I saw something I wanted I said "no, I shouldn't, I'm too fat" and deprived myself. I was barely eating anything and then would binge after. It was bad. I'd lose weight, gain it, lose it gain it, annoying!

Jumped onto MFP and said, ok! I am going to track everything and do this! MFP put me at 1200 calories straight away (like it does almost everyone) that I was desperately logging all exercise so I could eat. I had Run Keeper running on my cellphone for every errand I did!

Then I discovered
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Upped my calories to 1880 (no eating back exercise calories though! so I don't log my exercise) via suggestion on numbers, (math is not my friend) by Helloitsdan. I feel a ton better! Ive actually started losing weight whereas it didn't budge forever! (or only went up)

Eating less than about1200 calories was making me constantly headachy (I get headaches if I dont eat) and grumpy. I had been doing it unintentionally for years! YEARS and the scale never moved! When i started exercising it only went UP (go figure I started gaining muscle that I didn't have any more from barely eating)

I also find eating more much more reasonable and sustainable. Because I eat my mind is less occupied by thoughts of food (if that makes sense?) I'm actually NOT hungry and don't feel like I have to have something all time time and argue with myself. I generally eat anywhere between 1300 - 1600 on average calories a day by myself. By eating WHAT I WANT, WHEN I WANT... I just don't have that same crazy binge feeling all the time (that made me eat lots of bad sugary things all the time) and I'm WAY less tired than I used to be.

As for exercise? Right now I am honestly doing a lot of sitting on my *kitten* all day playing Skyrim (that's a video game for those who don't know) and I'm losing weight eating more. Crazy stuff.

I wouldn't recommend anyone stick only to the 1200 calories unless they are very short or have other special dietary needs. But that is just my thoughts from my experience... some people do it and claim it worked miracles for them *shrug* I think you have to find what works for you a bit as well.

Thanks for the link, gonna read up later tonight! :flowerforyou:
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that most of the "I have a problem..." threads are started by those with a 1200 calorie daily limit? Especially the "I can't stop snacking" and "I'm so hungry!" threads.

Coincidence? Something to consider if you're currently struggling at 1200 calories?

Or am I just imagining this?

well im on a dr and nutritionist mandated 1200 cal diet
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that most of the "I have a problem..." threads are started by those with a 1200 calorie daily limit? Especially the "I can't stop snacking" and "I'm so hungry!" threads.

Coincidence? Something to consider if you're currently struggling at 1200 calories?

This isn't meant to attack you but nutritionists are idiots.

When I discovered my allergies I saw a nutritionist (Dr. ordered visit). I told her; "I don't know how to eat anymore. Everything I thought I was supposed to eat I'm now allergic to! What do I do??"

She said; "This is a food pyramid. Eat the portions of each part of the pyramid and you'll be fine."

Me: "But I'm allergic to an entire section of that freaking pyramid!!!!"

Her: "... *smile smile* Just eat the portions indicated of each part of the pyramid and you'll be fine."

Yeah. I never went back and haven't asked to speak to a nutritionist OR dietician since.

That said. You should definitely listen to your Doctor and nutritionist. I'm sure they know what they're talking about. I wish you the best of luck!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options

This isn't meant to attack you but nutritionists are idiots.

When I discovered my allergies I saw a nutritionist (Dr. ordered visit). I told her; "I don't know how to eat anymore. Everything I thought I was supposed to eat I'm now allergic to! What do I do??"

She said; "This is a food pyramid. Eat the portions of each part of the pyramid and you'll be fine."

Me: "But I'm allergic to an entire section of that freaking pyramid!!!!"

Her: "... *smile smile* Just eat the portions indicated of each part of the pyramid and you'll be fine."

Yeah. I never went back and haven't asked to speak to a nutritionist OR dietician since.

That said. You should definitely listen to your Doctor and nutritionist. I'm sure they know what they're talking about. I wish you the best of luck!

yeah u had an idiot lol mine sits down with me and we go over EVERYTHING