Do you think milk is safe?

Options

Replies

• evolutioner
    Options
    Well cow milk is designed for cows so there's that to think about ....
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    The processes that they do the the cow and the milk are unsafe. Always buy organic (yes, it costs more), buy non-homogenized if possible. RAW is best. My opinion.

How is homogenized milk bad?

I'm not really sure if it's bad for you, what I do know is that homogenization causes the milk fat to separate and stay suspended in the milk so that it doesn't rise to the top. That's why when you make cheese (this is how I know) it's hard to get a good cheese with homogenized milk, because the fats and proteins don't want to bind. I am lucky enough that I can buy milk from a local producer that is non homogenized and therefore it's called cream top. The fat rises to the top, and I can scoop it off, mix with some salt and "churn" it to make a quick butter, and then my milk is comparable to 1%
    Pasteurization heats the milk to a high enough temperature that I guess it not only kills the bad bacteria but it can kill the good nutrients that are in raw milk.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think milk is great. It just depends on the person. I been drinking milk for 28 years of my life and I am more worried about the dam deit dr pepper than the said milk!

I need my yogurt.

Edit: For the sake of everyone's sanity, please please PLEASE post your sources as to why it's bad.

Simply put if you don't show me, and it's from a source we all can trust...

I'm not going to beleive you.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    they are probably referring to the bovine growth hormone that was used in cows a few years ago. Now the milk is labeled as not having that rBST or something like that. Try feta cheese and all other goats milk cheese--it's so good! and, as a full-fat dairy, it never makes me break out in zits like cows milk does.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Organic milk is a perfectly good food for those of us with the evolved ability to digest it--only about 30% of the world's population has this ability into adulthood.

Sources...or you could always look at the prior posts and see this is incorrect.

like i've already posted, and which is a known fact- we are the only mammals on earth that drink another animal's milk after infancy. we are not supposed to drink milk, which is why so many people have issues with it. the signs of lactose intolerance don't have to be blunt.

Still not seeing a source to the 30% number.

source was quoted before your reply.

everyone seems to be getting really bent out of shape over this, but I guess it's because many of us only believe what we see.

humans don't need milk- lots of vegans are alive.
    some human's cannot drink milk- it doesn't agree with them.
    unless it came from our family farm, we don't know what's in it.

if anyone is interested in the studies in cancer related to dairy products, he's an article from Harvard University.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html

All I am trying to do is get facts correct. Simple as that. Someone provided something that may explain this 30% number being quoted and I am actually looking at it as I noted in my response to that post. That is all I was asking for.

If you're trying to get the facts correct why not post your own?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Don't consume any dairy. Unless you are a baby cow.

Every time you are drinking milk, the baby cow that it was meant for isn't drinking it.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    We're the only species that drinks another animal's milk

My cat drinks cows milk.

Not naturally (in the wild - part of an animals natural diet) -- your cat drinks it because you give it to him/her. And BTW, most vets would suggest you stop.

I bet if the cat had two thumbs the cat would "naturally" drink milk.

Guess who has two thumbs?
    <--- This guy.

14 pages later and all I can think about are cats with thumbs.

cats-with-thumbs.jpg
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I consume milk every day, The two weeks I went not drinking it drove me nuts but there was a purpose for that... and it worked. The calories were my drag down so I wanted to be able to acclimate myself to accepting skim milk versus whole or 2%. It worked... I still eat cheese, I love dairy. YES the government forces farmers to feed livery hormone injected foods, nothing can be done. So it boils down to one word: Moderation.

In today's time "everything causes cancer" and if it doesn't cause it, it will supposedly cure it.... until they discover the cure causes another type. It's a vicious cycle. I don't believe there has ever been a study that proved cow's milk causes cancer. BUT many people aren't able to digest it and the human digestive system isn't "built" to sustain it. But if you like it and don't encounter issues with digestion of it, then keep drinking it, in moderation. :drinker:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Milk.jpg

*kitten*, that's sexy..... and a bit disturbing!
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I saw this claim pushed on the documentary Forks over Knives that a friend had me watch. At first I was ready to become a vegan, but then I decided to do some research and realized that the science in the doc is very flawed and biased. People are always trying to push their food agenda. If you do a search for forks over knives debunked you will find some excellent articles that show the other side of the issue.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of confused by the point you were trying to make, but this study in itself is ultimately questionable. There is absolutely no way that a sample size of 29 people is representative of the entire adult population. I really need people who want to use studies to support their claims to take a college level statistics course (again not directed specifically at the person quoted because I still have no idea what his standpoint was).

Seriously? It's right there at the end of my post:

"in other words, 'lactose intolerant' is a complicated and difficult thing to diagnose"
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I really need people who want to use studies to support their claims to take a college level statistics course

Yes, and I really need people who comment on my posts to take a 1st grade level reading course :bigsmile:
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I need scientifically linked, published in peer reviewed publications or i call bogus on the
    'homogenization is bad'
    (note: homogenizing milk doesn't change it by chemical means....changes it physically....it's called an emulsion.....don't like milk because it's homogenized? Don't eat mayonnaise or salad dressings.....same idea, although mayo and salad dressings will use an emulsifier to keep the suspension)

and the 'pasteurization is bad' I need to see scientific studies more recent than the 1930s.
    This is a comment I found....but without a linked source "Pasteurization results in about a 10% reduction of thiamin and B12, but does not affect milk's protein, calcium, riboflavin and other important nutrients. "

Personally, (if true) I'd take a 10% reduction in some nutrients over the much greater chance of an infectious disease.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Don't consume any dairy. Unless you are a baby cow.

Every time you are drinking milk, the baby cow that it was meant for isn't drinking it.
    Fck him. He should have been higher on the food chain. We'll eat him later.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Organic milk is a perfectly good food for those of us with the evolved ability to digest it--only about 30% of the world's population has this ability into adulthood.

Sources...or you could always look at the prior posts and see this is incorrect.

like i've already posted, and which is a known fact- we are the only mammals on earth that drink another animal's milk after infancy. we are not supposed to drink milk, which is why so many people have issues with it. the signs of lactose intolerance don't have to be blunt.

everyone seems to be getting really bent out of shape over this, but I guess it's because many of us only believe what we see.

if anyone is interested in the studies in cancer related to dairy products, he's an article from Harvard University.

All I am trying to do is get facts correct. Simple as that. Someone provided something that may explain this 30% number being quoted and I am actually looking at it as I noted in my response to that post. That is all I was asking for.

Because dear, that is not the way it works. The person who quotes stats is the one who needs to support them - simples.
  • LillysGranny
    Options

Because dear, that is not the way it works. The person who quotes stats is the one who needs to support them - simples.

And for the source of the 30% figure: David Krogh's Biology: A Guide to the Natural World 5th Ed. page 294 states that virtually no adults in China and most adults in Africa cannot digest lactose. Most adults of Northern European descent can, though. And Sizer & Whitney's Nutrition Concepts and Controversies 12th ed estimates, on page 123, that upward of 75 percent of the world's people lose their ability to digest lactose as they age. (In the US, that number is only around 12%).

Sorry it took me so long....I was at work and my books were on my desk at home.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I saw this claim pushed on the documentary Forks over Knives that a friend had me watch. At first I was ready to become a vegan, but then I decided to do some research and realized that the science in the doc is very flawed and biased. People are always trying to push their food agenda. If you do a search for forks over knives debunked you will find some excellent articles that show the other side of the issue.
    People like to be told good things about their bad habits. There will always be some article that supports the milk industry, they have a large budget for things like that.

Remember, more doctors smoke Camels than any other brand of cigarette!
  • BVSwear
    Options
    Most foods/drinks available on the marked are in some way linked to "cancer" so don't worry too much about that aspect.
  • banks89202
    Options
    Oh ****...I must put down this ice cream and glass of milk....I'm going to die now :wink: :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And for the source of the 30% figure: David Krogh's Biology: A Guide to the Natural World 5th Ed. page 294 states that virtually no adults in China and most adults in Africa cannot digest lactose. Most adults of Northern European descent can, though. And Sizer & Whitney's Nutrition Concepts and Controversies 12th ed estimates, on page 123, that upward of 75 percent of the world's people lose their ability to digest lactose as they age. (In the US, that number is only around 12%).

Sorry it took me so long....I was at work and my books were on my desk at home.

Taking off the infini-quotes.

Thank you so much for responding to the request. Very much appreciated.:flowerforyou: Most of these stats are similar to what I have seen, except the 75% I think is actually for the percentage of adults that have a decrease in lactase activity (see earlier citation) rather than losing the ability to digest. Where a decrease in activity turns into an intolerance is probably one of the grey areas in the statistics.

Someone also provided a study a little earlier that shows similar stats re different ethic groups. There appears to be discrepancies in how these numbers are being collated to come up with a global number as there are different numbers out these. There is also issues with defining lactose intolerance which may well be a source of one of these discrepancies. However, thank you very much for this. I think I will try to look into the way the statistics are being drawn to see why some well regarded studies are showing one number and other ones showing a completely different one. I hate unsolved mysteries.