Are there any dudes here that take this seriously...

Options

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    What really sucks is this progression -

Overweight or unfit -> get educated, get healthy, put in the work

Get a body you had to work incredibly hard to achieve -> feel pride, post pictures -> Get called a worthless musclehead, have all your knowledge and credibility discarded on sight because you must be some freak of nature or jacked up on sterioids and couldn't possibly know anything the "real people" would need to succeed.

It couldn't possibly be from knowledge and hard work.

You're the best!
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    <--- I quite love my muscles... and I don't mind if anyone else posts either. (And we women can take alot more than you realize ):laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's a narcissism thing.

I don't use MFP much at all anymore because quite honestly the site seems full of this (between this and trying to hook up) and I'd rather focus on body building exercises and fitness.

However you get what you put into it. I try to mostly avoid the forums and my friends list is devoid of people like this. Most of the people I interact with are here to get in shape and discuss fitness, not their V or hooking up.

Bare torso guys are showing you what they are worth and what they consider to be worth the most. Notice that in most pictures their head is missing.

Your jealousy is so tasty I do believe I'll go log it. Mmmmm.

:wink: :drinker:
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Speaking as one of those bare torso guys, I do take nutrition EXTREMELY seriously.
    As people have said, the pics are because I am proud of the progress I have made, and I now feel comfortable being shirtless. Am I vain? Hell yes I am! More for the amount of effort I have put into it, however, than the actual physical appearance.
    I am also very willing to give/listen to advice and motivation, so decide what you will. :)

images.jpg
  • KevinHuss
    KevinHuss Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take the weight loss seriously, and exercize to improve my health. Really the pics are just secondary to the purpose of why the site exists, and why most of us are here. But they do add a little bit of insight to who the individuals behind the profiles are... some of the pic choices are really very interesting, and make me wonder what it would be like to know some of these individuals.

If they bother you, just don't look at them... most people really have a lot to offer in their posts.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    <

progress pics are far more valuable than your scale............ditch it, and pull out a camera!!

Dang straight!!! the scale is a dirty lil lyin ho
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Yeah the ab guys are the worst about it but unfortunately the women here are horrrrrrrficly shallow and go nuts for them.

Way to make broad, sweeping statements about all females on MFP! :drinker:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    ...but don't take pictures of themselves flexing in the mirror?

Yes, there are plenty.

Lots of people, lots of different goals.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Let's insult all the people on here that have achieved their goals rather than friending them and asking advice. For me, I post pics because I want to improve and when I compare those pics against my goals (and the jacked big guys), it gives me objective evidence that I'm not there yet. That keeps me coming back.

Edit: typo
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    OH sorry.
    Put up my ab pic...i must not be taking this seriously.

Last year I couldnt even SEE my belly button.
    You BET i take this seriously.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    taking it seriously, just check out my ticker... i'll give you a hint, 47 pounds down... nothing wrong with showing off what you have worked hard for. feel free to add me, but if/when I get to a six pack it will become my profile pic:drinker:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'd post my butt, it's great.
    But I don't take anything seriously, well, not much. Well, chocolate.

The shirtless guys are a great bunch - usually full of excellent advice. You'd br wrong to insult them in a first post.
    Oh... Oops, to you.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's a narcissism thing.

I don't use MFP much at all anymore because quite honestly the site seems full of this (between this and trying to hook up) and I'd rather focus on body building exercises and fitness.

However you get what you put into it. I try to mostly avoid the forums and my friends list is devoid of people like this. Most of the people I interact with are here to get in shape and discuss fitness, not their V or hooking up.

Bare torso guys are showing you what they are worth and what they consider to be worth the most. Notice that in most pictures their head is missing.

Bodybuilding must, by definition, contain a narcissistic element - the building of muscles and seeking of definition is an ascetic goal, afterall. Unless you mis-spoke and meant strength training exercises?

My pics have a head - and it's the part of my body I value the most, actually. Because it contains my brain, which I'm proud to say doesn't make sweeping generalisations about other people!
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    PLEASE don't stop with the sexy *kitten* pics men!! It makes MFP such a wonderful place. To OP.. Gl on your journey and when you feel good enough please feel free to stand in the biggest mirror feel good about yourself and share it with the world. The guys on MFP are wonderful and I am sure they would love to help you with tips but not if you are condeming them for look good. BTW feel free to send all sexy pics to my box :love:
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    <---- You rang?
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I understand your desire to find individuals who are more aligned to your current circumstance, and now you have found the pleasant responses from our community forum groupies. I will clear up a few of the questions, the comment the OP made regarding being able to eat more than women was referring to the allotted daily caloric intake...not sitting down and having a eating contest. His point was simply that he was not looking for women as friends because their day was more calorie restrictive than his was.

As for the not wanting guys with pictures of flexing muscles, the generalization is that they either did not have as far of a path to go or that they will not afford him the benefit of their advice. I can attest that I have a few individuals who unless I send them a PM never answer any question I post to them on their own wall. They never comment on anything I ever post. I do not think that it is because they are "ignoring" me, I think it is simply because since they have reached their primary goal they have begun to collect friends who appreciate them for their results rather than their journey, and that those people clutter the profile page so much that my post simply gets lost in the shuffle.

Unfortunately, or not, this site is a reflection of the real world and that means that thin, well shaped bodies will draw more "friends" and more responses than those bodies that are not. If you truly do not believe that is the case then I challenge you to test it for yourself, go grab a picture of an attractive female and start a new profile and go to the introduce yourself forums and write a few paragraphs and then grab a picture of an out of shape male and do the same...see which receive more responses.

Lastly, as the OP asked specifically for male friends who do not post flexing pictures; why was it necessary for females or those that take pride in their accomplishments and display their flexing images, to reply to the post at all?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Since so many amazing people have torn apart not only the OP's thread, but the absolutely asinine statements made about "shallow women" and "narcissistic muscle heads," I'll leave with this.

xEkFg.gif
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Of course not, I mean it's really myflirtingpal.com, right?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, or not, this site is a reflection of the real world
    Lastly, as the OP asked specifically for male friends who do not post flexing pictures; why was it necessary for females or those that take pride in their accomplishments and display their flexing images, to reply to the post at all?

You answered your own question! Very convenient.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    yUp