What is the one thing you gave up to lose weight (if any)?

Options

Replies

• JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Candy, Lay's potato chips, take-out pizza, fries, burgers, cake, and fast food.
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I feel that anything is possible if you account and plan for it...with one exception. I gave up Whataburger's A1 Thick and Hearty Burger. *sighs
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    101637744-640x639-0-0_Arizona+ARIZONA+SWEET+TEA+GALLONS+Arizona.jpg

pretty much all i drink now is water. boring. tasteless. water.
  • AshlynG923
    AshlynG923 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I gave up overeating pretty much. I still eat things I love.. which aren't all healthy choices, I just don't eat 3000 calories worth of those things any more.
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Larger portions. No more 16+ oz glasses of milk, 4 or 5 cookies at a sitting, etc. I do eat less fast food than I used to, but I don't feel like I've given it up. Except when I drive past McD and pass up the 2 for $3 Sausage McMuffins with egg! On vacation in August, I got a regular Egg McMuffin; I didn't enjoy it at all. I decided then that on my next vacation, a Sausage McMuffin with egg is worth whatever calorie counting and exercise I have to do to make up for it. 8^)
  • Kelly_May88
    Kelly_May88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First thing I gave up in changing my life was smoking. I was lax in my food watching during this as I gave up cold turkey and it was hard (my partner is a smoker too). I put on 5 kgs. I've lost most of it now and I'm much happier for it. I'd rather have to lose that 5 kgs than keep smoking and struggling during even a short walk.

I've also given up instant gratification. Indulging every craving whenever I want. The more I induldged, the more I craved - so now my craving has a little discussion with my mindset before I indulge (or dont).

I've not given up anything else completely - most bad things I've just tried to find a healthier version to still enjoy on certain occasions.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Grains, except for small amounts of forbidden rice. (Like maybe once or twice a week at most.) Mostly this means wheat, which I have found paleo alternatives for things that I occasionally HAVE to have.

This has really cut down on my cravings, stabilized my blood sugar, and gotten rid of the achy hip and Bible bump I had on my wrist. And about 10 lbs since I cut it out. (Another 5 after I found this site.) Getting rid of the grain was not the cure all - I did start to gain back with eating more fat, eggs and meat. Now I moderate the amounts I eat and am doing better with the weight loss. And no, I am not hungry. I eat more out of habit than hunger. Which is why I need to count.
  • SaraJanePOWER
    SaraJanePOWER Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Excuses. And that is IT.
    I love this... nuff said
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I gave up:

Foods that had their own mascot.
    Soft drink
    Grains

I increased the amount of water I drink. I went from having next to nothing, to drinking a minimum of 2L per day. More when I exercise.

I follow a primal diet (paleo plus dairy) and while I still have the occasional slip up, its more out of convenience than actual cravings.
  • 2KMILLER
    2KMILLER Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mexican food & Tex Mex. Ooh, that was a tough one. I love it and it's so bad for you! Now I eat it maybe once a month. Used to be 3 times a week. Also, I've pretty much said goodbye to desserts and alcohol, but those were much easier than my Tex Mex habit!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have given up mindless eating.
  • beautifulandrogyny
    Options
    I haven't given up any one food.

I have given up second deserts, a midnight slice of pizza after already having three squares, and a lot of sugary drinks that were making me sick to my stomache anyway (I'm fructose intolerant and high fructose corn syrup is a real mean one on my body). I also eat less cheese which is probably for the best since I'm lactose intolerant. I only eat french fries like once a week now (maybe twice if they're baked at home in the oven) whereas before I was eating fried fries with several meals a week.

I have given up laying on the couch all day since that means actual calorie restriction.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    101637744-640x639-0-0_Arizona+ARIZONA+SWEET+TEA+GALLONS+Arizona.jpg

pretty much all i drink now is water. boring. tasteless. water.

I use to drink this, except just the "green tea" flavor when I quit drinking soda. MFP helped me realize how much sugar was in these drinks, so I quit Arizona drinks shortly after joining here. I do drink a lot of water now, a lot! But now I'm drinking Diet Lipton green Tea or Raspberry. No calories, no sugar no nothing, except taste! It really has an awesome taste!!!!!!! Give it a try.:drinker:
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given up anything.
    We still order food but we only do it MAYBE 2x a month.
    I never really cared for soda or chocolate, and instead of buying Ice cream I make my own frozen yogurt so that I know what I'm putting in it.....

One thing I did give up is waisting my time for everyone else and not making time for me! Now I have my time and if anyone needs to talk to me; they can get their tennis shoes on and talk to me while we're working on. I dont' stop for anything! =)
  • trickymax1
    Options
    Alcohol!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    comfort eating
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I gave up feeling miserable about the way I look and feel! The only dietary change was discovering gluten intolerance, so actually have stopped eating wheat products; I thought it would kill me for the first two weeks, but once my body adjusted, it thanks me for it every day!
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Soda, pork, most meats, dips and some sauces.
  • velmaisvelma
    velmaisvelma Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Fast Food and Chocolate. While my cravings aren't as bad as they were 4 months ago, I do still miss McDonald's and Snickers on occasion!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Crisps (Chips for all those in the US) and Dairy Milk chocolate - Funnily enough I don't miss them - I dont miss the 80lbs so far either lol