Wheat - Unhealthy or just evil?

Options
I read several major reports by big research organizations and I am thuroughly convinced that consuming wheat is unhealthy in every way. So I ask you, is wheat unhealthy or just plain evil? Thoughts?

Food for thought:

"
11 reasons why gluten and wheat should be avoided
Gluten
1.Gluten causes gut inflammation in at least 80% of the population and another 30% of the population develops antibodies against gluten proteins in the gut. Furthermore, 99% of the population has the genetic potential to develop antibodies against gluten. Antibodies acting in the gut can actually be good news, because when the body doesn’t react against gluten right away, gluten proteins can enter the blood stream more easily, especially if the gut is already leaky, and trigger immune reaction elsewhere in the body.

2.Since gliadin, the main problem causing gluten protein, can be similar in structure to other proteins found in tissues of such
organs as the thyroid or the pancreas, antibodies against gliadin can end up attacking those organs and ultimately cause autoimmune diseases like hypothyroidism and type 1 diabetes.

3.Gluten’s inflammatory effect in the gut causes intestinal cells to die prematurely and causes oxidation on those cells. This effect creates a leaky gut and a leaky gut can allow bacterial proteins and other toxic compounds to get in the blood stream, which can also lead to autoimmune attacks on the body. A leaky gut also means that food as not digested properly and nutrients are not absorbed fully, which can lead to nutrient deficiencies.

4.Antibodies against gluten have also been shown to attack heart tissues and cause heart disease.

5.Gluten has been strongly associated with cancer. It is potentially cancer causing, but at least cancer promoting.
WGA (wheat germ agglutinin)

1.WGA, like gluten, irritates and causes premature cell death in the gut and leads to a leaky gut condition, with all the detrimental effects that are known to follow.

2.WGA also disrupts the mucus membrane in the gut, which can cause bacterial overgrowth and lead to a host of digestive issues like GERD and ulcers.

3.The lectin also often ends up circulating in the body and in the brain, where it can cause leptin resistance and cause effects similar to insulin. Those two factors could be a cause or promoter of obesity as leptin and insulin are the two most important hormones to properly regulate in order to maintain a normal weight and energy balance.

4.WGA and another unknown factor in wheat cause vitamin D stores to deplete abnormally fast and can therefore lead to vitamin D deficiency, with all its accompanying issues like weakening of the bones, a weakened immune system and a vulnerability to infectious diseases and bacterial attacks.
Opioid peptides

1.The opioid peptides found in wheat are known to cause addiction to wheat in some people and withdrawal symptoms can happen upon the removal of wheat from the diet.

2.They have also been associated with Schizophrenia as a possible cause or at least as a promoter of the disease. Furthermore, Schizophrenics often see their symptoms reduce by a lot when removing wheat from their diet. "

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I will cut you.
  • abbyface
    Options
    Probably evil if you have gluten allergies. Otherwise, naw.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

:angry:
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I read several major reports by big research organizations and I am thuroughly convinced that consuming wheat is unhealthy in every way. So I ask you, is wheat unhealthy or just plain evil? Thoughts?

I don't eat grains.
    But you won't make any friends not eating grains here. Grains are the crack cocaine of the general MFP forum user. To each their own, but I'm free from that addiction.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I don't eat grains.
    But you won't make any friends not eating grains here. Grains are the crack cocaine of the general MFP forum user. To each their own, but I'm free from that addiction.

In...just to watch both the grainies *and* the food addiction deniers foam at the mouth because of your post.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Neither.
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I don't eat grains.

In...just to watch both the grainies *and* the food addiction deniers foam at the mouth because of your post.

I've said my two cents. I'm not going to spend any more time arguing with people about grains. That'd be coming back to flog the already well flogged horse on these forums.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I don't eat grains.

It's cute that you think grains = crack. Maybe you've never actually seen a crack addict?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why all the hate on wheat but not on, say, carrots. Or any of the cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower). Or chickens. All of which are INCREDIBLY mutated from their wild form.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    <
    one year of wheat consumption = wheat belly
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    We're here to discuss nutrition. Not bully.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

I don't eat grains.

It's cute that you think grains = crack. Maybe you've never actually seen a crack addict?

Or maybe the crack addicts you know are on meat based diets?
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    I'm curious why all the hate on wheat but not on, say, carrots. Or any of the cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower). Or chickens. All of which are INCREDIBLY mutated from their wild form.

I would hate on the chicken if it were covered in wheat.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wheat is just food. Food cannot be evil. Wheat is only unhealthy if you have a sensitivity/allergy. I have neither, so it's not unhealthy for me either.

Edit for spelling.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I don't eat grains.

Or maybe the crack addicts you know are on meat based diets?

Lol - pretty sure actual crack addicts aren't on much of a diet at all.

And pretty sure that someone not being able to tolerate a certain food group doesn't mean it's "crack" to everyone else.

I get so tired of people sensationalizing their intolerences and making foods "evil" for the rest of us.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    it is neither. Gasoline is unhealthy and Burpees are evil.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Oh, but there was a post hating on carrots..... (Just curious as to carbs in carrots being higher than she thought was OK)

And I would hate on Brussels sprouts if someone tried to make me eat them.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've read a reasonable amount of published nutrition research for my job and I don't think wheat is the devil at all. The issue is the frequency, quantity and form that many westerners eat it in. We are simply not evolved to cope with large quantities of super finely ground wheat flour two or three times a day, we evolved to eat a wide variety of different plant foods in their whole form. By whole I mean grains much as they come off the plant, as we would eat brown rice or old fashioned/ jumbo oats. Bread, pasta and breakfast cereals are essentially processed foods however much wholegrain is advertised on the box.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    <
    one year of wheat consumption = wheat belly

:love:
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I only skimmed the article, but should I stop eating an entire loaf of bread for dinner?