Replies

• amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    do i look fat??????? im a 12
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Depends on your shape, height, body fat v. muscle mass, etc.

I started at a 12, and I was quite overweight. BUT I'm only 5'2", and I carry weight in my stomach, so I was carrying a lot of excessive fat, which made my pants size that large.

I'm down to a 2 now, and I'm still ummm....quite thick, but I'm almost all muscle now with some flab. Everyone's composition is different. Jean size is almost completely irrelevant.

Edit: I just did my BMI for when I started, and I was a 27 BMI, which is half way between overweight and being obese. Now at a size 2, I am nearing 22 BMI.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Are you a 12UK???
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Body fat % is the only thing that will tell you if you are "fat". I'm a size 12 and wouldn't say I was fat, but I'm 5'11". A 5 footer that size would probably be overweight. Body fat% is the only relative and health-related measure. You'll never appease everyone's subjective opinions.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.

a size 12 in marilyn's day is like a size 6 today

This is very true. Even in my own lifetime, I have noticed that sizes have massively changed.
  • windyleal
    Options
    I was a size 22 in June, have lost almost 40 lbs and am down to a 16. Size 12 is actually my goal but I have heard so many people say that "plus size" starts at 12 - size 12 seems like a HUGE amount of success for me to get down to!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a size 12 or smaller! My goal is a 10 and under for final weight though. Im a 14/16 now.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    I used to be a size 12-14 and at 5"3" my weight for that height was considered overweight. My doctor was more concerned about my weight at that time and I thought I was fine. Now I'm a size 6, never thought I would go down to this size, but my body still feels the same as when I was a size 12-14 for some reason, so it never mattered to me, but I'm in better health!

Hear, hear. I'm just like you. I started around 150 lbs in a size 12 at roughly 5'3". I was pushing obese on the BMI scale at 27. The doctor did tell me to lose weight, and I also carry ALL of my weight in my stomach, so it was quite disgusting. Now I'm a size 2 at 122-125 lbs, roughly 22 BMI, and I feel just a big as I was....because I carry excessive weight in my stomach, so I still feel fat. I'm very disproportionate.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I just got down to a size 12 in jeans (woo hoo!), and I notice it's the controversial in-between size here. Some people are trying to get down to that number, and others have started at that number and are trying to get lower.

Do you see size 12 as a good size to shoot for or be, or do you think it implies you're still considerably overweight and have more work to do?

It depends on the person. "Size 12" isn't the same for everyone.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Are you a 12UK???

I had the same thought. Unless she's well over 6 ft tall or likes her clothes baggy, that body is not a US size 12.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It depends on your build. You can't shrink bones. A friend of mine sooo wants to be a size 8. She is slim, she works out, she has little body fat left, but she probably will never get into a size 8 because of the size of her hip bones.
  • stargirlJJ
    Options
    Id love to be a size 12(english)
    Im currently a 14/16..and a size 12 for me is a perfect size..im 5ft 7.5 and i do have a very large chest, no matter how small i get they will still remain haha..it runs through the family, so i know i dont think il ever be a size 8 top say...
    But ultimately its what you feel happy in!
    I hope to be saying that soon!
  • amyk225
    Options
    uk size 12
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It would be a MAJOR, MAJOR accomplishment for me. I started at a size 26W.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    uk size 12

So that's an American 10, yeah? You look great!
  • amyk225
    Options
    uk size 12

So that's an American 10, yeah? You look great!
    thankyou,i didnt know i was american 10,im pear so im quite small on top but my hips just remain the same:(
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Since I started at 24 I think my size 12's are pretty freakin fantastic.!
  • annasensei
    Options
    It totally depends on the brand as well. I wouldn't let the size thing matter too much.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    For me size 12 is fat. I can probably easily be a 5/6 and still not be too thin.
    I have a couple friends though that are built 'wider' than me. They are not fat (though maybe have 10 pounds they COULD lose if they really wanted too) and if you look at them from the side they look quite slim, but they have wide frames. To accommodate for their wide hips they have to wear around a size 10.
  • stargirlJJ
    Options
    For me size 12 is fat. I can probably easily be a 5/6 and still not be too thin.
    I have a couple friends though that are built 'wider' than me. They are not fat (though maybe have 10 pounds they COULD lose if they really wanted too) and if you look at them from the side they look quite slim, but they have wide frames. To accommodate for their wide hips they have to wear around a size 10.

Is that in american size 5/6...im english so not sure what that equates to in england x