Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I keep getting confused here as some people are talking UK 12 and some US 12 - am I right in thinking US 12 is bigger?

Yes! A lot bigger.

It's one size bigger...

Two: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_sizes

From Wiki:

Women's clothing sizes
    UK 6|8 10 12 14 16
    USA 6 8 10 12 14

It seems "clothing sizes" differ from "dress sizes"
    *shrug*
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Im a size twelve starting out, I dot think it falls under the fat category but its def not a category I want to be in anymore!
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    marilyn monroe was a size 12 and lifted weights in her day. I would love to be her size!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    marilyn monroe was a size 12 and lifted weights in her day. I would love to be her size!

*Sigh* Nope she wasn't.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.

That was before vanity sizing was invented. A 1960's size 12 is today's size 8.

Marilyn's measurements were 37-23-36.

For comparison, Kate Moss was 33-23-35
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Depending on the brand I could either be a 10, 12 or 14, and in some even a 16.

So please, continue trying to "categorize" me based on some piece of cloth sewn into the back of a pair of pants.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I keep getting confused here as some people are talking UK 12 and some US 12 - am I right in thinking US 12 is bigger?

Yes! A lot bigger.

It's one size bigger...

From Wiki:

Women's clothing sizes
    UK 6|8 10 12 14 16
    USA 6 8 10 12 14

*shrug*

The measurements in that chart put me in a UK 12, but I wear a size 8 US, pretty much across the board.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    HEY, OP, DID YOU POST THIS BECAUSE IT'S 12/12/12?
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

Yes! A lot bigger.

It's one size bigger...

From Wiki:

Women's clothing sizes
    UK 6|8 10 12 14 16
    USA 6 8 10 12 14

*shrug*

The measurements in that chart put me in a UK 12, but I wear a size 8 US, pretty much across the board.

Ok? I was just posting verbatim information from the link you provided.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.

People still use this as an excuse? Sizing has changed so drastically, Marilyn Monroe would be a size FOUR or SIX in today's sizing... on top of the fact that she was an unusual hourglass shape to begin with.

What is an unusual hourglass shape? I'm just curious....
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    HEY, OP, DID YOU POST THIS BECAUSE IT'S 12/12/12?

awesome!
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    By a raise of hands, how many people seen Marilyn Monroe in person?

Ok didn't think so.

Regardless of if sizes have changed, the woman was curvy and her weight varied. Size 12 looks different, depending on your actual size, height, structure, etc., and etc.,. I highly doubt Marilyn was Kate Mose's size, they clearly have two different figures, so regardless if their measurements are similar, it wouldn't matter.

Find a size your most comfortable in, period.

Just to prove that weight is just a number, I'm 5'5 1/2, my SW was 247.6 and I was a 16/18. Today I was 228.6 and my size 16 pants were very lose, not to the point where they were falling off, but loose.

I've heard of people being 154 and wearing a 16, 154 and wearing a 6, 200 and wearing a 9 (mainly if your tall).

By 200 I'll be in a 14, period.

Not only do sizes vary, different clothing brands measure differently. You may be able to wear a 12 in some brands and a 10 in others. There are sooooo many aspects to sizes and truth is at the end of the day "its about what you look like you weigh".
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It 100% depends on your height and build. I have seen tall, very slender people at size 12.

At size 12 I was still classed as overweight, and quite very large in certain areas.
  • missagrl
    Options
    I think it depends on your body type and your height. My mom is tiny, has delicate bones and she's short. For her, size twelve would be overweight. My stepsister is tall and has a heavy bone structure (broad shoulders, big hands), and she's a size fourteen but only has 6% body fat, so where she is, is healthy for her. If she was a 12 it would be too thin. I'm sort of in-between the two of them with regards to body type, and my goal is to get down around the 10-12 range. Everyone is built differently, so having good stamina and a healthy body fat percentage is probably more important than what size you are or how much you weigh.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, a healthy body weight is for some reason often seen as "overweight." I don't know why that is.

I agree! I probably should have put this in the OP, but I'm about 5'3 and 158-160 lbs. (it's been fluctuating, not sure where exactly I fall right now.) Everyone has told me how great I look and how I really don't need to lose much more. The lowest weight I've ever been is 150, and while technically still "overweight" I looked really good and it worked for my body type. Numbers definitely aren't everything.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all size 7 pages, but to me a size 12 is fat.

That's where I started at 5'9 and 180 pounds.. and I was fat... had a muffin top and the whole nine yards.

Fast forward to now, and I can comfortably wear a size 4 at 150 pounds and there is no way I am too thin or anorexic looking.

See, when I got to 150 the last time I lost weight, I was nowhere near a size 4, at least in the stores I was shopping in. I looked and felt good, but I was still around a size 10/12. It must be how I'm built...I have a larger bum and wide hips, and it doesn't change no matter how much weight I lose.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    For myself, I would fell very very fat at a size 12. I'm also 5'3 and a size 2/4 and still trying to go down currently so it would be very extreme on my body.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

See, when I got to 150 the last time I lost weight, I was nowhere near a size 4, at least in the stores I was shopping in. I looked and felt good, but I was still around a size 10/12. It must be how I'm built...I have a larger bum and wide hips, and it doesn't change no matter how much weight I lose.

It depends on your body composition too. I'm between 135-138lbs normally but I don't look as heavy as I am I'm usually told. I've been lifting for some time now as well so I probably just have a lot of muscle compared to some other women.
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That really depends, I am a very short 12, so I am and look slightly chubby, I would say :laugh: but somebody who is taller may look great as a 12.....
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    im naturally a size 12 (uk)- this was the size i was before i had my daughter, and any slimmer i would have looked ill. i think its different for everyone- as i said, some people look good as a size 8, whereas i look good at size 12!